Most Well Known Online Bike Retailers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do You Cross Shop Online Always?

Always check Nashbar
2%
Always check Bikesdirect
5%
Always check Amazon
11%
Never Shop Online For Bicycles
11%
Never Heard of Bikesdirect
36%
Never Hear of Nashbar
33%
Did not know you could buy bicycles online
2%

Total votes: 55

silvalis

by silvalis

If you look at turnover, wigglecrc should be the top.
Chasse patate

plag

by plag

Jenson is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

I think the title should mention "US" as more than half of the users on this forum are from EU & other Countries.

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

These are my go to places.
Nashbar. Expensive unless on special.

Probikekit. Great prices. Good for tires , tubes and clothing specially their brand.

Chain reaction. Good for mountain bike deals.

Jenson USA. Special items and on sale stuff.

Competitive cyclist. Expensive for most things except when on special.

Worldwidecyclery. Good place for Mnt bike stuff.

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

ManekiNico wrote:I bought my first real bicycle — a Pinarello Treviso — 30+ years ago over the phone from an ad in the back of Bicycling Magazine. Pretty sure that makes me a hipster?

My next two bikes I bought from a LBS, though neither was in the city where I live. I bought my last bike as a closeout from Competitive Cyclist. Agree the latter lost a certain cachet after being bought up by Backcountry.

Before gravitating to the European online retailers (CRC, Wiggle, Ribble, Sigma Sport, Starbike, Bike24, etc.), I used to shop Excel Sports, Colorado Cyclist, Cambria Bike Outfitter… Here in Canada, I'll usually check La Bicicletta and Canada Bicycle Parts or stop by the local MEC.

As God is my witness, I'd never heard of Bikesdirect before today. That is one fugly website :shock: I'm guessing none of their overhead goes to cultivating their web presence.
Bikes direct is solid. They are in FL. I HAVE BOUGHT 2 bikes from them.

joeg26er

by joeg26er

charlieboy52000 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:51 pm
ManekiNico wrote:I bought my first real bicycle — a Pinarello Treviso — 30+ years ago over the phone from an ad in the back of Bicycling Magazine. Pretty sure that makes me a hipster?

My next two bikes I bought from a LBS, though neither was in the city where I live. I bought my last bike as a closeout from Competitive Cyclist. Agree the latter lost a certain cachet after being bought up by Backcountry.

Before gravitating to the European online retailers (CRC, Wiggle, Ribble, Sigma Sport, Starbike, Bike24, etc.), I used to shop Excel Sports, Colorado Cyclist, Cambria Bike Outfitter… Here in Canada, I'll usually check La Bicicletta and Canada Bicycle Parts or stop by the local MEC.

As God is my witness, I'd never heard of Bikesdirect before today. That is one fugly website :shock: I'm guessing none of their overhead goes to cultivating their web presence.
Bikes direct is solid. They are in FL. I HAVE BOUGHT 2 bikes from them.

What bikes did you buy and what sites / stores did you cross shop before buying?

srshaw

by srshaw

Wiggle / crc for me! (never heard of the ones in the poll)

AJS914

by AJS914

This poll is missing all of the retailers I typically look at.

When I'm looking for the best price on a part I look on

ebay
google
probikekit
ribble
wiggle
merlin
excel sports

joeg26er

by joeg26er

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:22 am
This poll is missing all of the retailers I typically look at.

When I'm looking for the best price on a part I look on

ebay
google
probikekit
ribble
wiggle
merlin
excel sports
Sorry was not more clear - this was about sites for bicycles, not just parts :)

pritish8287

by pritish8287

How long does it take for starbike to ship and for us to receive goods in USA? trying to order Campy groupset. Most of the items on the list say "ships within 1-3 business days"
Newbie here

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

About 10 business days for me, from ordering the items to the door.

mattr

by mattr

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:12 pm
I never shop for bikes on-line. I value the expertise of the local bike shop and/or builder. In my opinion on-line ordering implies limited support and is more appropriate for the low end customer. I would not expect service and support after purchase and assume the on-line retailer would not provide any. For a purchase that's likely to be in the thousands of dollars, this does not bode well for a good relationship
I always shop for bikes on line as my LBS's are only interested in shifting volume and can't offer any advice other than "this is red, red is a fast colour", "what we stock are the best bikes ever and nothing else comes close on quality, price or spec levels". Support is also next to non-existent and if you are lucky enough to get any (you usually have to be in the clique to get even the legal minimum) it's usually just parts cannon style.

On the other hand, all the online retailers i've dealt with have dealt with issues rapidly and professionally, even when dealing overseas (except one high ticket item that took 6 weeks to sort due to stock issues)

I've never heard of anyone in the poll.

morrisond

by morrisond

I'm from Canada.

Small parts - Chainreaction as they usually have no shipping for orders over $75 - but there pricing on bigger stuff isn't that great.

Universalcycles.com - awesome selection - not bad pricing - shipping is cheap

Starbike if they are competitive.

However - Far and way is Bike24 from Germany - awesome pricing and selection - especially for groups and wheels - I've saved thousands over buying in North America.

dim

by dim

themidge wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:15 pm
+1, I've never been on any of the sites in the poll but in the UK there are several good ones, including but not limited to:
-Wiggle (you get haribos in the box)
-ProBikeKit (my favourite as I have a discount code :D )
-Chainreactioncycles (if probikekit doesn't have something, CRC does)
-Acycles (basically just for stronglight chainrings)
-fleebay for stuff nobody in their right mind buys new
Acycles .... you got to be joking!

I bought a pair of Sidi Wire 2 shoes a month ago from them .... they advertised my size in stock and 3-5 days delivery .... after a week and half, still no shoes .... a month later.... still no shoes....

they don't reply to emails, and have a bogus phone number ... they have a co.uk website, but are based in France. They used to use paypal as a method of payment, but Paypal has cancelled their service to Acycles due to the high amount of chargebacks.... I paid with Visa and I have lost my money (£287.00)

I am a fool .... I should have read the reviews before parting with my cash

read the latest feedbacks ... guys are getting robbed of hundreds of pounds:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/acycles.co.uk

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/acycles.co.uk

lots more on the internet
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

atakaoka wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:32 pm
How about Glory cycles in FL and R&A cycles NY? Or they may be more know internationaly? Sorry I forgot Fairwheelbikes too.
R&A is nice if you like to get raped.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com