Anyway to install bar tape without using electric tape?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I love the clean look of bar tape that doesn't use any electric tape. Someone at my LBS told me thats old school. Any video out there showing how to do this? I have a Vision Metron 5D integrated bar. Thanks!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Start from the top, double wrap over the cut end then work your way to the drops

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

Don't hold me to this, but I think there is a way to do it by wrapping backwards (tops to drops). However, it doesn't last as long and can be hard to do as I don't really remember correctly how to. Besides, if done correctly electric tape actually makes things look better with contrast. At least to me.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I saw clamps that you can purchase to hold down the end of the tape. I think they're made by Arundel, but I can't remember for sure.

But otherwise, starting at the top and going down works too.

ergott

by ergott

I tried top down once and don't like it. The exposed length of bar tape is in the wrong side. When in the drops it feels weird. Above the hoods you're likely to roll the bar tape over on itself and stretch it out with your weight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

A piece of heat shrink tubing seems like it would work great to hold down the tape end.

sungod

by sungod

another option would be to use glue or a double-sided sticky tape under the last few cm of bar tape

might be tricky to get just right though, you need something that won't loosen/creep under load or if it gets wet

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Lizard Skins tape comes with finishing tape that looks just like the bar tape. I have the black/gray/white camo and you can't tell there's finishing tape at the end.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

There are rubber rings made for this purpose.

Or, if you prefer, heat shrink but they may need a re-install of the levers to put in fresh ones for future tape changes.

Tango

by Tango

Contador has it all the time on his bikes - looks always neat. It's wrapped in the inverse direction, so from the stem towards the ends of the bar. Hope this helps you
Attachments
tinkoff-bartape.jpg
alberto-contador-specialized-tdf-12.jpg

Miller

by Miller

Yebbut Contador would have had a mechanic doing fresh tape every day at least in the big races.

If you want your tape to last a while then wrapping tops to drops will mean the tape edges rolling over like Ergott says.

simplemind

by simplemind

Best thing "since sliced bread" is silicon tape. It is self-amalgamating tape[url]https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-Self ... ZOK55G/url]. and just doesn't come unwrapped. You'll love it.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:50 pm
I love the clean look of bar tape that doesn't use any electric tape. Someone at my LBS told me thats old school. Any video out there showing how to do this? I have a Vision Metron 5D integrated bar. Thanks!
Wrap from the tops down to the drops. Go from under the bottom, front and over the top when you start to wrap it, and pull it tight. Shove any excess into the bar ends and plug it. Expander plugs like the ones made by Pro and Supacaz work best. This is how I wrap all of my bars and I have very little problems.

If you don't pull it tight enough, you can develop gaps at the bends and some tapes may not like it and roll up on the edge at the bends. I found this happened with Fizik classic tape, but I've had no issues with others. I really liked the Specialized Roubaix double wide tape, but it gets dirty easily. My current favorite is Supacaz. Really durable and I really like the look of their fade tapes.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

kode54

by kode54

simplemind wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 pm
Best thing "since sliced bread" is silicon tape. It is self-amalgamating tape[url]https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-Self ... ZOK55G/url]. and just doesn't come unwrapped. You'll love it.
interesting.

i've also seen silicone bands that you slip onto the bars and over the bar tape to finish it off.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simplemind

by simplemind

kode54 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:33 pm
simplemind wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 pm
interesting.

i've also seen silicone bands that you slip onto the bars and over the bar tape to finish it off.
This stuff is even better in that you control the sizing and tension.