THM Fibula just broke.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KCookie

by KCookie

jekyll man wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Remembering the shoddy build up problems you had with the bike, its probably been caused by poor or repeated centring of the brake.
Yeah by me, I admitted that earlier in the thread. Complete rookie at bike mechanics. Learnt my lesson now so won't make the same mistake again. :)

KCookie

by KCookie

dgasmd wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:07 pm
I hate to be the one telling you this as I am one that can't really speak, but......... You bought boutique US$1100+ pair of carbon fiber brakes and a little piece broke off. Please, no coat hanger or any other ghetto repairs. Call THM and get the replacement part. It will time to get to you and you will have to do a bit of work to get it to work, but in the end you end up with what you paid for. Sucks that it happened right before a ride where you wanted to parade your abby, but it is what it is.......

Best of luck bud!! :beerchug:

PS: document with pict the replacement process. You are not the first nor will be the last to have this happen to. Nice to see it done!!
Just ordered two new springs off their website, should be here in 7-10 days. Not cheap, but that's not surprising. Yes I'll document the process and hopefully not muck it up. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

There's a few good threads about their new springs w/ feedback from myself as well.

The company apparently provided extra parts as well as a new spring to offset what you and I went through. However I think the calipers are still ridiculously difficult to center.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KCookie

by KCookie

Couldn't agree more. The rear brake is centered never needs attention but the front is a nightmare, just cannot seem to get it right. You think it's ok until you use the brake and then off centre again, drives me mad.
Good news is the spare parts turned up yesterday, 7 days delivery from order, which is great. Just need to find the time to change the spring. There are detailed instructions with pictures so surely I cannot muck this up. :)

RyanH

by RyanH

Centering issues with the old one are usually because they brake nut isn't torqued down fully. Check the manual, torque specs are pretty high. Once I did that with mine it fully resolved the issue with centering.

KCookie

by KCookie

Well I managed to fit the new Carbon spring without any problems, which is good for me. The detailed instructions were very helpful. There was only one error with the instructions and that was to use a 1.27mm Allen key to undo a small grub screw, which turned out to be a .9mm, otherwise all ok.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Just a note when re-installing the brake. It's really important to use the centering wrench to hold the the brake while you tighten the mounting bolt. Most broken springs we've seen have been from a failure to do this. If you do not hold the bolt when you begin to get it tight all of that torque is pressing against the carbon spring and can lead to hairline fractures which open up over time and cause the spring to split. It's not a problem with brakes that use metal springs but with the carbon spring it is absolutely necessary.