Sram etap for Pina F8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fh8425

by fh8425

Hi Guys

Considering to switch from Shimano to Sram. Been with Shimano all this while. It seems there are few options when buying Etap setup, being a noob at this and hoping to get some advise as i am going to buy online and install myself. Wanna get it right. Thanks any advise.

I gather from the internet, i should buy the following options:

1) GXP crank
2) GXP Ita BB (most prob will hunt down a C bear ceramic BB to fit the Sram crank)

thanks
FH

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

you don't need to change crankset, old ones should work fine

the etap conversion set excludes the cranks/bb/brakes/cassette/chain, if your existing setup is 11-speed most/all of your current parts will be fine (check brake pull is compatible)

i switched from sram red (from 2010) to etap this way, subsequently swapped out the old sram brakes for ee brakes (which really are better than sram ones)

the best place to buy depends where you are, a cheap deal can turn into an expensive one if you get hit with duty/tax on import

many uk and german stores have good starting discounts, with some you can get a few % extra by signing up to a newsletter - sigmasport for instance

if you are outside the eu and buy from an eu retailer then they should not charge you vat, the % varies by country, uk is 20%

some manufacturers forbid retailers shipping outside their country/region, those that disobey find their supplies dry up, not sure how strict sram are on that, warranty rights can also be affected

fh8425

by fh8425

sungod wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 pm
you don't need to change crankset, old ones should work fine

the etap conversion set excludes the cranks/bb/brakes/cassette/chain, if your existing setup is 11-speed most/all of your current parts will be fine (check brake pull is compatible)

i switched from sram red (from 2010) to etap this way, subsequently swapped out the old sram brakes for ee brakes (which really are better than sram ones)

the best place to buy depends where you are, a cheap deal can turn into an expensive one if you get hit with duty/tax on import

many uk and german stores have good starting discounts, with some you can get a few % extra by signing up to a newsletter - sigmasport for instance

if you are outside the eu and buy from an eu retailer then they should not charge you vat, the % varies by country, uk is 20%

some manufacturers forbid retailers shipping outside their country/region, those that disobey find their supplies dry up, not sure how strict sram are on that, warranty rights can also be affected
hi mate

thanks for the reply. My intention is to do a complete groupset change.

:)

cheers

sungod

by sungod

same advice on suppliers then, from uk check sigma, wiggle, merlin, pbk etc., from germany i've often used r2bike and bike24, there're many others, depends how long you want to spend exploring with google :)

the set comes with sram outer/cables, but if you're changing everything it's a chance to consider better/lighter options like nokon, powercordz etc.

wingguy

by wingguy

fh8425 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 am
1) GXP crank
2) GXP Ita BB (most prob will hunt down a C bear ceramic BB to fit the Sram crank)
Yes to both.

fh8425

by fh8425

Ok guys, thanks for the input. 👍👍

Chris3g

by Chris3g

Kogel also makes a nice Italian threaded GXP bottom bracket, good option if you happen to be in the USA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com