Freakin scary dropout design

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

So what kind of frame is this? Generic Chinese?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

No.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That is an absurd design. Forget clamping force, any acceptable design should support the static weight of the bicycle and rider with no clamping force at all.

The maker and model? You should name and shame. Perhaps you will save a fellow weightweenie from making a mistake.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah. The whole reason we have lawyer tabs on forks is because QRs aren’t always tightened properly.

Stormur, funny you should mention shifting - is the mech hanger flexing out of alignment when the rider’s weight is going through it?
Last edited by wingguy on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, this is a real long shot, and I can’t tell exactly the what the cutouts are like where the hanger interfaces with the dropout, but it “looks” like the dropout itself is just a flat stock, right?... with no cutouts for the hanger to clearly sit in. Could it be that the hanger should actually be installed on the outside of the dropout all along? Could you remove the hanger (assuming you can tell if it’s also just cut from flat stock), and check the screw holes on the inside of the dropout to see if they are countersunk, which would indicate that that’s where the hanger bolts should be (assuming they are countersunk heads). But if you can tell from how the hanger fits that it’s not just flat stock and has 3D cutouts that match with the dropouts, indicating only one possible install position then what I’m thinking is clearly not the case. I just can’t see it well enough to tell.

[edit]: After a shower I realized that my thought above would be even more unlikely unless the hanger screws are meant to be screwed in like a left handed thread. Carry on.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stormur

by stormur

I know that design is totally ridiculous. That's why I decided to name topic rather "bold".

Calnago : you're right : there's no cut outs "integrating" frame and hanger. Just 2 pieces screwed together. And Yes, hanger is on "correct" side of frame ( as designed ) . Mitered holes for bolt heads and spacing. And image of the bike on manufacturers site.

If manufacturer will solve issue in EXTREMELY satisfactory way for the owner I won't make it "public", just PM's. Otherwise,... guy is so pissed off that trust me you'll notice who did such thing... even from the morning newspaper :mrgreen:

Frame is not so common, so....small chances you'll fall in the trap.
Mark Twain

stormur

by stormur

wingguy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 pm
Yeah. The whole reason we have lawyer tabs on forks is because QRs aren’t always tightened properly.

Stormur, funny you should mention shifting - is the mech hanger flexing out of alignment when the rider’s weight is going through it?

I believe yes. Hanger taking all loads must flex so frame is tend to shift by itself and happens to mechs not shift properly, being 100% properly adjusted ( I adjusted it so it's better than perfect ;) ) .
Mark Twain

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Can’t see how they could solve the issue apart from replacing with a different/redesigned frame or giving a full refund. I’d take the refund, personally

stormur

by stormur

Low price to not "harm" sale at the beginning of the season, isn't it ? ;)

Another thing : refund is between seller and buyer. It wasn't seller fault.

Replacement/ other form of compensation is between manufacturer and owner.

Personally ; No idea what I would do...But I wouldn't "sell my skin cheap".
Mark Twain

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The seller sold it. The customer should be getting the money back from the seller. If it was a private deal, or some online discount house, then too bad for the current owner. But if whoever sold this to the customer is a legitimate dealer and doesn't see the issue and take responsibility for it by refunding the customers money, in full, then shame on them. The dealer is the one that should then take this up with the manufacturer, but really.... if I was a dealer, there's no way I'd be selling junk like that in the first place. So, I wouldn't be holding up much hope for the customer at this point.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Sure the dealer sold it, but when it transpires that VW have been manufacturing diesels which aren’t actually fit for sale it’s the manufacturer who has to fix the mess

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed... ultimately, the manufacturer has to fix things going forward. But as far as this one customer getting his money back goes... that's between him and whoever he bought it from. If the dealer tells this customer that it's "not my problem, go talk to the manufacturer", then that dealer is crap. If the manufacturer steps up and says to the customer "hey, we don't care who you bought it from, we're going to take care of it one way or another", then kudos to the manufacturer, but the dealer is still crap for not doing this "for the customer". That's why the dealer is there, as the interface between customer and manufacturer/distributor.

stormur

by stormur

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:16 pm
If the dealer tells this customer that it's "not my problem, go talk to the manufacturer", then that dealer is crap.
That's position taken by most shops in EU.
Then it's all up to manufacturer. Some brands behave nice, some not... .

Personally I don't have much experience with warranty claims( once few years ago solved within week, crack on chainstay ) , but stories which I hear time to time... It may be this way or another.
Generally Cannondale, Cervelo & Specialized are very OK, rest... it varies. A lot.
But it were "warranty" cases : cracks, broken welds, paint peeling off ... never such issue like "design" fault.

Law in EU is bit different than in US. It's mandatory warranty by seller (2y) and voluntary by manufacturer ( from 1y to "lifetime"/ different lifetime meaning applies /). Generally shop will be just a channel to manufacturer warranty. At least it works this way, mostly.
Mark Twain

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

In the MTB world we jump all over a manufacturer for having an imperfect shock rate curve and you're afraid to say who can't design a dropout?