sram road 1x12 speed coming in April

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

darnellrm wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:43 pm
Can someone tell me again - what is wrong with a front derailleur?
I the days of wide range 11 speed cassettes, almost everything :D

themidge

by themidge

Can you be specific? Mine works fine. Perhaps that's because the chainrings provide a good range already, so I don't have to use a wide range cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

Nothing wrong with a front mech, but some things I can think of:

Duplicated gear ratios. 22 sprocket combinations but a lot less than 22 actually different gears.

Slower to shift the front than the rear. In a race I’ve found myself riding cross-chain because I didn’t want the momentary loss of power while the front changed

According to 3T, there’s a lot of extra drag around that part of the frame with the mech, mech hanger etc

mrlobber

by mrlobber

darnellrm wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:43 pm
Can someone tell me again - what is wrong with a front derailleur?
Let's not turn this into another 1x vs 2x discussion ;)

Other than that, in SRAM's case, it is clear what's wrong with the FD - they can never quite get it to shift reliably :lol: (maybe that's the real reason why they're pushing 1x drivetrains so much)

P.S. I own 2 Etap bikes but still dream about the easiness of DuraAce FD set up ;)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The question should be “What’s wrong with a wide range cassette?”
On the road, the answer is very simple... “The gaps between gears”.
If you’re ok with large gaps between your gears, then awesome, 1x may be for you.
If you like close ratios gears, then 1x is the Devils Spawn, and you’re much better off with with a close ratio cassette and several chain rings, be it two or even three.
I know the original question was posed kind of tongue in cheek, but it’s totally valid, especially given how efficient front derailleurs are today. There was a day when only one ring existed. But everything was much better when they added another. Going 1x on a road bike is going backwards. But you’ll figure it out, eventually. I’m done, sorry.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

darnellrm

by darnellrm

BINGO Calnago!! I dislike 2 tooth jumps and 3 tooth jumps are horrific!

RyanH

by RyanH

I'm going in the opposite direction of this trend (no, not a triple). I started using 11-25 since the 2 tooth jumps are much better in fast paced group rides. Paired with a compact I typically do the entire ride in the big ring but when I'm heading back after the ride I use every bit of my 34t. To get that same versatility I'd be needing 11-36. Even with 12s we're talking probably 4t jumps... Barf.

jih

by jih

It’s more the percentage jumps than the number of teeth. 34-30 is 4 teeth but a 13% jump which it isn’t all that bad. For reference, 12-11 is 9%. 18-16 is 2t and 12%.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I don't mind large gap at the front, be it 52x33 (any 52 and TA 33t ) or 53x34 (Wickwerks chainring). We lost power momentary shifting front ring anyway, a bit more compensate shift in the back when shifting front doesn't hurt.

http://gear-calculator.com/?GR=DERS&KB= ... 8&UF2=2135

zefs

by zefs

I don't see the big issue with people arguing about big gear gaps (4 teeth for the lower cogs and 6 for the last one on Sram cassette).
I have tried an 11-32 in the past which had a 4 teeth gap from 28 to 32 and it was fine since the 32 was used for over 10% to keep cadence high, but if I wanted I could stay on 28 and have lower cadence (which can be applied to 1x cassette as well). I can see the issue for people racing and wanting the perfect gear but for recreational/training it shouldn't be a problem? The only issue I see is if you travel from a hilly to a flat area or the opposite and need different ratios.

themidge

by themidge

zefs wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:57 pm
I can see the issue for people racing and wanting the perfect gear but for recreational/training it shouldn't be a problem?
People (including myself) also want the perfect gear when training or riding recreationally.
I'm sure I could manage with 1x, in fact i used to have a triple and only ever used the middle ring, so I have already managed, but that was on 650 wheels (39/12?-25, was even more of a weakling when I was 12), however, 2x is better for most riding that most people do, so I hope it doesn't go away.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

2x will not be going away. No worries there. I’d be more apt to bet on 1x not being around for too long however, at least as far as road applications go.
Also, as was mentioned, you should look at the gaps in terms of a percentage change in gear development, not the change in number of teeth. A 3 or 4 tooth gap is quite manageable when you’re talking about cogs in the 29+ tooth range. In fact, 1 or 2 tooth gaps at that point is rather pointless as the percent change in gear development may not even be enough to even warrant a shift. But when talking about cogs in the 12-18 tooth range... even a two tooth gap can leave you searching for that comfortable cadence.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1x is here to stay, but most roadies won’t consider the switch until we have 1x14 (it’s coming.) That’s the point where you get reasonable jumps for similar gearing ranges.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I would love a 2x14 setup. I have big gaps on my cassette and I’ve gotten used to it except the gaps on the high gears are still too big. Namely I don’t have 12 and 14. 2x14 will take care of that.

A 1x14 setup might work for my terrain but it would have to be something like a 9-40 cassette with a 40 front ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I love how everyone keeps saying "update the firmware to make etap 12s"

Why on earth would they do that and cost themselves sales on new groupsets...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk