eTap Red frt derailleur - will any braze-on adapter do, or must it be SRAM?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Digger90

by Digger90

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I have read so many posts about SRAM Red eTap Yaw front derailleurs being really fussy with hanger alignment that it's got me second-guessing...

I'm having a custom frame made for me (steel) with very modern geometry. ST diameter is 28.6mm - and I want to use a band-on/clamp style front derailleur rather than braze-on (as I may go 1 x 11 or 1 x 12 in future...)

I cannot see that SRAM make a 28.6mm clamp at all, they only seem to do 31.8mm or 34.9mm. However, there are several 28.6mm clamps available, such as the Shimano Dura Ace Di2 AD91 clamp here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod150256

Can anyone see any reason why this adapter, or any other non-SRAM adapter wouldn't work?

Again, I might just be being paranoid... but all these reports of fussy shifting with eTap front derailleurs and how picky they are on braze-on tab alignment has got me (a little) worried.
Last edited by Digger90 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grover

by grover

Any will work.

There are two benefits to the SRAM one.
- the long flat interface between clamp and derailleur. makes for more repeatable adjustment (it always tightens to the same place) and supports the derailleur body against the power of the motors.
- the chain spotter stop which allows use of the quite nice SRAM chain spotter that is very stable and more accurately and repeatedly adjustable.

If you use a different braze on clamp.
- for the body support you can just use the wedges supplied with the derailleur
- you can use any other non SRAM chain spotter

If you wanted to use SRAM there are many 28.6 to 31.8 shims to go under the 31.8 clamp.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I think Parlee makes a 28.6 adaptor.. I have no problem with eTap on my Parlee.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Digger90

by Digger90

Thanks guys... I'm leaning toward the correct SRAM braze-on adapter due to the factors grover mentioned - and shimming it down with appropriate shims.

Parlee do a braze-on adapter but it's $95 (OMFG. !!!!). https://store.parleecycles.com/products ... leur-clamp

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Wow.
Quite disappointed that you're not searching for the lightest adapter and instead defaulting to the heavier variety. Unless you're planning on reducing the mass of the SRAM variety?!

There are adapters competitive to Parlee's that are as light as the Parlee one at a fraction of the cost. Use your internet skills to find it, it isn't difficult.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Digger90

by Digger90

Wow.
Quite disappointed that you're not searching for the lightest adapter and instead defaulting to the heavier variety. Unless you're planning on reducing the mass of the SRAM variety?!
:D :D :D :D

liam7020

by liam7020

Hoping to use this one with my Etap front changer:

http://www.carbonice.net/Front-Deraille ... anguage=en
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com