Colnago C64 First Look

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

that's a lot to digest. hard to see how they drop 20% of the frame weight and not give up stiffness. smaller rounder tubes sound like giving up stiffness and moving back to compliance. if this is correct it contradicts the notion that this is a minor update. wonder what tricks david fumagalli has rolled up his sleeve?
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

The teaser pictures don’t look like smaller tubes, and I’d be very surprised if they dropped that much weight. I would like to see more than just a soft update to the C60 though, and I’d also be surprised if they launched a new C frame that’s just a gently rubbed version of the last one. Going to be an interesting few weeks

by Weenie

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Wildstyle5000 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:48 pm
- smaller tube diameters, more round
This is by far the best news coming from the recent bike industry. While being a big fan of lugged tubes with the horizontal shape, C60 was just fat. The downtube was especially a monster.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Cemicar wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:26 pm
Wildstyle5000 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:48 pm
- smaller tube diameters, more round
This is by far the best news coming from the recent bike industry. While being a big fan of lugged tubes with the horizontal shape, C60 was just fat. The downtube was especially a monster.
i agree the large tubes weren't especially pretty. thought they became necessary, especially on the downtube to accommodate the new bottom bracket on the c60.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Large tubes are never necessary; no need for all the bullshit bottom brackets. A top frameset like a F10 still uses a normal threathed BB and everybody is happy with it.

TonyM

by TonyM

I personally like the fat tubes of the C60.

So if they go back to thin tubes I would love it as I would not swap my C60 to the C64.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

If they go skinnier I’d love it as I’m more likely to buy one to keep alongside my C60. The bike Aru pulls a wheelie on definitely has a fat, square BB lug though.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i don't see colnago giving up on their bb solution. all their new bikes are embracing it. i'm a fan of bsa. my sole point was that colnago's proprietary bottom bracket sort of drove the thicker tubes or so i thought.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

Calnago

by Calnago

No, Imo they won’t be narrowing the BB, not that I have any more info on this than the rest of you. The whole reason they widened it in the first place was, the same as everyone else, to give more real estate in the BB area for which to attach the other tubes, and in so doing open up a whole bunch of design options... fatter tubes, more lateral stiffness etc. etc. or just to tune it the way they want. Also, with preformed tubes going into lugs, they don’t have as much discretion for intricate layup schedules as you might if it were done in a mold, with sometimes tiny patches of carbon being layed down at key points of stress, instead of throughout the entire tube or a good section of it. And if they go that route, that’s when I’ll bet that it is done all in Asia, not Italy.

But don’t confuse the wider BB being tied to whether or not it is a threaded shell, pressfit, or Colnagos Threadfit system. That is totally independent of the reasons for a wider shell. Two separate issues.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

It’ll look pretty funky if they’ve put some skinny top tube onto a massive down tube and heavily tapered seat tube, which is why I don’t really buy the theory

wingguy

by wingguy

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:04 pm
i don't see colnago giving up on their bb solution. all their new bikes are embracing it. i'm a fan of bsa. my sole point was that colnago's proprietary bottom bracket sort of drove the thicker tubes or so i thought.
Other way around, isn't it?

A fat BB means you can use fat tubes, but you don't have to. If you want fat tubes though, you need a fat BB.

mag

by mag

Well, as was already mentioned the following photo doesn't really show narrow downtube so let's see how this plays out: https://scontent-vie1-1.cdninstagram.co ... 5056_n.jpg
if it doesn't display properly it's the 2nd one (wheelie) here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdz9U5YBf7T ... lnagoworld

tabmaster

by tabmaster

All this talk of a new addition to the C-series family has got me thinking.
Never mind what we all think is going to be featured on the new frame, but rather what would you like to be featured on it?
Each of the C Series has been an incremental improvement over the last model rather than being a ground breaking change. The C40 had several versions, all a supposed improvement over the last & the same is or was true of the C50 & the C60. The C59 seems to have had very minimal improvements during its lifespan - a two way frame instead of either mech or elec shifting & a newer fork.
Having never ridden a C60, I can't comment on its merits over the C59 although I understand that the C60 is a harsher ride than the C59 & I found that the C50 was more comfortable than the C59.
Out of all the features of the lot of them that I'd like to see on a new C series frame, it'd be the BSA bb, chain stays from the EPS, down tube of the C60 & everything else from the C59, perhaps with a 27.2 seat post & a hidden seat clamp in the seat lug. All made in Italy 🇮🇹, naturally, with a full range of art decor paint jobs!
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

the only thing missing on my c-59 is better accommodation for 25 mm tires. 23's work well for me 99% of the time, but occasionally a wider tire would come in handy. i also prefer the aesthetics of a non-sloping frame but colnago hasn't made one for my height since the c-40 i believe, other than that i'm so satisfied with my c-59 i feel no need to upgrade so to speak
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

by Weenie

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Yes, I agree with the sentiment on the tyre clearance but that really is my only gripe but like you I get on with 23mm tubs just fine. Oddly, my latest addition is a pair of FMB service course tubs in 22.5mm but they actually came out at 24mm. God's own tubs fit fine & roll really sweetly.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11