Colnago C64 First Look

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KotP

by KotP

I hope you guys who currently have a Colnago on order end up receiving 2018 models.

The new logo will take some getting used to, it almost makes the 2019 models look like a knock-off frame or something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah... I think at this point I'm in agreement with @KotP. Prefer the current (now old?) main Colnago font on the downtube. And it's not consistent. They have this big new font on the downtube, yet all the other "Colnago" logos (fork and chainstays) are in the old font.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nickstea

by nickstea

scb wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:31 pm
nickstea wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:25 am
Hello all,
I recently got the opportunity to buy a c64. I’ve always used DA, however on this bike I’m thinking of going all Italian.
Do you think I should go with he new campy 12 speed vs the V3 EPS vs see what’s coming in for v4 EPS?
I’m going with a disc build for what it’s worth.

Thank you for your opinions.
Are you getting disc version with all internal routing? I ordered one when c64 was released and am still waiting.
Yes I’m getting the disc with all internal routing. What group will you go with?

hgw20

by hgw20

Calnago wrote:Yeah... I think at this point I'm in agreement with @KotP. Prefer the current (now old?) main Colnago font on the downtube. And it's not consistent. They have this big new font on the downtube, yet all the other "Colnago" logos (fork and chainstays) are in the old font.
I think all the texts are in the new font.

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don’t. Check out the fonts on the stays, particularly the A and G. Pretty easy to see actually.
oops!... I just double checked and blew things up. Think you’re right. My bad. Still think I like the previous font more.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

hgw20

by hgw20

I think it's just a matter of time. Personally I'd love to receive the new one instead...in a couple of months we will see the old one like....old. xd

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk

mag

by mag

They used the old font (with minor modifications) for a very long time (at least since 1980's). So this change is a little weird and may need some time to get used to. On the other hand on most C64s the big logo isn't that much visible (black on carbon)... :-D

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Guys, it's a typeface not a font.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha. Ok. Thanks. But for my own education, what the difference?
But the way, they tried a similar (sort of) typeface on some Mapei C59’s, which was “outlined” as well but I don’t think it was so well received.

Ok, I can google too...
“IN A NUTSHELL
Even type experts agree: Typeface and font can be used interchangeably at this point. But if you come across an annoying pedant who cares deeply about maintaining the distinction for the masses, just remember this: The difference between a font and a typeface is the same as that between songs and an album. The former makes up the latter. Remember that and you’re good to go.”

So, my take is that italics, bold, underlined, etc, are all fonts. Whereas Times Roman, for example, is the typeface.

Question: So what typeface is that new Colnago logo, if any... or can a logo be just that, a logo with no specific typeface involved at all, but just some graphic artist’s rendering of the brand name.

Either way, I still think I like the previous version a bit more.
Last edited by Calnago on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 pm
Ok. Thanks. But for my own education, what the difference?
But the way, they tried a similar (sort of) typeface on some Mapei C59’s, which was “outlined” as well but I don’t think it was so well received.
It's interchangeable these days. The font is essentially the size and weight of a typeface. So a typeface has multiple fonts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutraface

https://houseind.com/hi/neutraface
Last edited by beeatnik on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

KotP

by KotP

beeatnik wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:01 pm
Guys, it's a typeface not a font.
I think we found the graphic designer :wink:
Calnago wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Question: So what typeface is that new Colnago logo, if any... or can a logo be just that, a logo with no specific typeface involved at all, but just some graphic artist’s rendering of the brand name.
I think you've answered your own question. I'd say a graphic artist was commissioned to come up with a new logo/typeface/font whatever you want to call it.

It's worth noting that 2018 Colnago models including the C64 have been using the italicized version of the more traditional but not original Colnago typeface and they have been for a few years on all the new models Concept, V2-r, CRS etc.

That's also the same logo as on the C60 except the art decor range retained the standard typeface.

mag

by mag

And here comes the first special edition - C64 Gold Private Collection: https://www.colnago.com/en/c64-gold-private-collection/

guyc

by guyc

Not for me. Far too bling.

KCookie

by KCookie

mag wrote:And here comes the first special edition - C64 Gold Private Collection: https://www.colnago.com/en/c64-gold-private-collection/
Yeah saw that earlier, Jure posted this as it has his saddle. Dread to think how much Colnago are charging for it. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com