Colnago C64 First Look

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mag

by mag

You can have some more fun with taking the seatpost out of the seat tube and inserting it back in. The clamp will try to "fall" into the seat tube a bit, blocking the seatpost insertion. You'll need to press the clamp screw (bolt) properly in order to lift the clamp back up into the right position. I scratched my head over this smart stuff when I saw it the 1st time. :-D

Seedster

by Seedster

Long story, but I will be getting a replacement C64 Disc frameset.

Has anyone seen the internally routed version in the wild yet? Looking to clean up the cables with the new build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

All of these seat clamp wedge designs stick no matter what you do, you have to give them a whack to free them up.

My concern with them is the wedges inevitably score/mark the post where the wedge bites into the surface of the post, and when these posts are proprietary(as most are now) .......well you can see the problems down the line.

guyc

by guyc

Agreed. For all of the claims aero gains I’d rather see a good old collar and clamp.

c60rider

by c60rider

corky wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 am
All of these seat clamp wedge designs stick no matter what you do, you have to give them a whack to free them up.

My concern with them is the wedges inevitably score/mark the post where the wedge bites into the surface of the post, and when these posts are proprietary(as most are now) .......well you can see the problems down the line.
I can agree there could be a concern of long term potential problems but my 15 plus year old Look KG261 had an internal wedge thing that expanded onto the Look carbon ergopost seat post. There was never a torque setting for it just did it old school and tighten it up until it didn't move. Yes it indented into the post slightly but never broke there. It actually started to split much further up where set back was which wasn't uncommon for those posts. So i suspect modern hidden clamps will be the same. But it still annoys me that although you can't see the marks on the post I know it's there!

scb

by scb

Seedster wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:58 am

Has anyone seen the internally routed version in the wild yet? Looking to clean up the cables with the new build.
I ordered one in March. Latest I’m hearing is end of year/early next year for delivery in US. Hoping this will be about same time as EPS v4.

liam7020

by liam7020

I had a long relationship with Colnago frames, and indeed still own a beautiful C40, but somewhere along the way I personally feel the company lost it's way and I haven't bought a new Colnago frame some a number of years. Reading through this thread, and there are some nice bikes, hasn't really changed my mind. Each to their own I guess.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think the issue may be the newer frames are a recreation of the C40 i.e nothing radically new more of an update. So if you own a C40 there is little reason to buy the C60 as what was wrong with the C40.

liam7020

by liam7020

You may well be right Malcolm - I had my first C40 in 1999 but foolishly sold it to buy an Extreme C which was ok but in reality wasn't much, if any, improvement on the C40. Anyhow managed to pick up another C40 in pristine a few years ago so all is well. But the current Colnago crop aren't really lighting my candle.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Seedster

by Seedster

scb wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:08 pm
Seedster wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:58 am

I ordered one in March. Latest I’m hearing is end of year/early next year for delivery in US. Hoping this will be about same time as EPS v4.
Thx for the heads up. I was hoping they already started delivery because the R41 stem seems to be available. I wonder what is taking so long

KowloonCC

by KowloonCC

Came accross this message at Colnago Enthusiasts fb
Attachments
Screenshot_2018_10_18_Colnago_Enthusiasts.png

Jitensha

by Jitensha

There seems to be conflicting reasons for the delay in the shipping the C64 integrated disc frames. I want to point out that Colnago always maintained there were issues in manufactuing the stem since the launch. Some recent and less credible reports say there are issues in manufacturing the fork. I have to wonder how this will impact the decision for teams like UAE Team Emirates to switch to disc brakes for the 2019 seasons since Colnago seems to have supply issues with BOTH versions of the disc frames. Teams like UAE Team Emirates and Wiggle High5 will need to order their equipment prior to their team camps so I sense Colnago is going to have those teams on direct mount brakes again in 2019. I just don't forsee any scenario those teams will be on discs given the production woes Colnago has.

Colnago really has done a poor job in terms of PR/Communications with these delays. The US and UK distributors are all stating something different to their dealers and there is no need to keep customers that are on waiting lists in the dark on the issue.

KotP

by KotP

Jitensha wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:29 am
and Wiggle High5
Well have I got news for you.....

They've folded :(

And where is the info coming from that UAE have decided to switch to discs next year? There were even rumours a few months back they wouldn't be riding Colnago at all, but that's a conversation for another topic.

moonoi

by moonoi

Jitensha wrote:
There seems to be conflicting reasons for the delay in the shipping the C64 integrated disc frames. I want to point out that Colnago always maintained there were issues in manufactuing the stem since the launch. Some recent and less credible reports say there are issues in manufacturing the fork. I have to wonder how this will impact the decision for teams like UAE Team Emirates to switch to disc brakes for the 2019 seasons since Colnago seems to have supply issues with BOTH versions of the disc frames. Teams like UAE Team Emirates and Wiggle High5 will need to order their equipment prior to their team camps so I sense Colnago is going to have those teams on direct mount brakes again in 2019. I just don't forsee any scenario those teams will be on discs given the production woes Colnago has.

Colnago really has done a poor job in terms of PR/Communications with these delays. The US and UK distributors are all stating something different to their dealers and there is no need to keep customers that are on waiting lists in the dark on the issue.
My Colnago Concept Disc was delayed by 8 months due to issues with manufacturing the fork (at first they kept telling me the frame had gone in to paint, but after 4 months that was quite obviously a lie), seems like almost 1 year later they are still having similar problems

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jitensha

by Jitensha

KotP wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:14 am
Jitensha wrote:
and Wiggle High5
And where is the info coming from that UAE have decided to switch to discs next year? There were even rumours a few months back they wouldn't be riding Colnago at all, but that's a conversation for another topic.
Based on Colnago's production woes, UAE Team Emirates won't need to make a decision to run discs because Colnago made it for them.
Last edited by Jitensha on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.