Colnago C64 First Look

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

As much as I love my Colnagos for their geometry, ride and build quality, I’ve never gravitated towards any of their SE bikes. And this one takes things to a new level. I would be embarrassed riding around on this thing. It’s like they took the approach... anything that can be blinged, will be blinged. Quality, durability, function be damned... just slap on the most expensive bling parts you can find and someone will buy it. Carbon fiber chainrings, oversize pulleys, gold chain... No... not the gold chain. Does Mr. T ride a bike?... well, ok then... maybe they’ll sell one.
The Berk saddle is nice though, it’s “classy” bling. But I get that it’s a “show bike” built for show, so from that perspective it’s a thumbs up I suppose.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KotP

by KotP

I don't have much to say about the C64 Gold Private Collection bike other than "nice frameset" but then remembered it's pretty much PKBK with gold instead of silver.

So there's only 64 available, but what I find interesting is it's direct to consumer which might be an interesting view of the future.

Back to the new logo, Colnago are obviously a major sponsor of the Giro Rosa, being sponsor of the maglia rosa, so it's weird seing the new logo writ large on banners around the course.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:45 pm
No... not the gold chain. Does Mr. T ride a bike?... well, ok then... maybe they’ll sell one.
“I pity the foo’!” Haha this made me laugh...

I notice they also changed the lettering style of “Colnago” on the downtube of all C64 range, which is unfortunate as I can’t say I’m very fond of it.

Seedster

by Seedster

KotP wrote:So there's only 64 available, but what I find interesting is it's direct to consumer which might be an interesting view of the future.
Agreed. I thought it was cool to see carbon-ti and berk make it on a Colnago, but the more interesting part was the exclusion of the middle man. I know they have done direct sales for lower tier offerings, but this is the first of the limited editions they have offered in this fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think this is how they’ve done some Special Editions in the past as well, “pretty sure” (which means I could be wrong) that there was a special c59 they did some years ago (early Di2 era) that was the same thing... available by special order only.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Got still 2018 color. Image

3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

KotP

by KotP

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 pm
.... available by special order only.
There's been plenty of special editions over the years, the last probably being the Ottanta5, but available through a dealer. I read it as being web order only direct from Colnago?

Robbie McEwen inadvertently revealed the new logo before the eurobike launch on his Instagram when he previewed his new C64 on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkfD4NjAbhR/

Custom paint, disc brakes, etap, Zipps. He mentioned being given a C64 from Colnago during his commentary several days ago.

It's usually the Australian distributor/retailer that provide him with his rides. He was last gifted a factory painted green lugged C60, etap, Zipps but rim brakes.

hgw20

by hgw20

Recently arrived:

Really looking forward to mount ever and go out with itImageImageImageImageImageImage

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk

mag

by mag

That's still with the old style logos though.

hgw20

by hgw20

Yep. I expected it with the new ones...but it's with the classic

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

This is nicer than the Ottanta imo, it'll be a beauty!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

robertbb

by robertbb

hgw20 - what groupset is destined for this frame?

Boshk

by Boshk

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:45 pm
As much as I love my Colnagos for their geometry, ride and build quality, I’ve never gravitated towards any of their SE bikes. And this one takes things to a new level. I would be embarrassed riding around on this thing. It’s like they took the approach... anything that can be blinged, will be blinged. Quality, durability, function be damned... just slap on the most expensive bling parts you can find and someone will buy it. Carbon fiber chainrings, oversize pulleys, gold chain... No... not the gold chain. Does Mr. T ride a bike?... well, ok then... maybe they’ll sell one.
The Berk saddle is nice though, it’s “classy” bling. But I get that it’s a “show bike” built for show, so from that perspective it’s a thumbs up I suppose.
I'm guessing these limited edition are aimed at certain people only...
1st priority, it has to be gold, preferably real gold
2nd, must have the BEST components, money isn't an issue...at all
3rd, has to be unique...ie 64 made only

I'm surprised Pinarello and all the other high end brands haven't followed...

MJB

by MJB

alexneumuller wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:18 pm
Got still 2018 color. Image

Aside from the robust background, this, to my eyes is a truly beautiful bicycle (and considerably prettier than the SE model)

The matte content is enough to place it in an era without being ham fisted about it. The subtle painted 'Colnago' lettering on the downtube and the dash of silver on the seat tube are complimented perfectly by Dark Label Boras and those gorgeous pale wall Vittorias (how does one keep then so clean and pale toned) The gruppo with it's dash of red on the cranks and understated black componentry finishes what is a truly elegant bicycle build.

IMHO Colnago makes the best looking sloping frames hands down which is a good thing as sloping is not only de rigueur but now 'finale'......... for a handmade Colnago.

hgw20

by hgw20

robertbb wrote:hgw20 - what groupset is destined for this frame?
Sram etap.
Bora ultra dark label
Deda Alanera cockpit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com