Dirvetrain preference : Mechanical vs electronic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Electronic isn't the future but present. I've been riding DA 9150 for over 2 years and the drivetrain requires absolutely no adjustment so far. And I've found it comical that the juice in the battey lasts longer than the chain. I still remember my long time mechanic told me that he doesn't like DI2 because he won't see mee for a long while.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

Shpox wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:30 am
Unlike many of you, I did not get the chance to feel the benefit of high end mechanical groupsets. I had 105, Ultegra and a mix of both over the years.

Eventually I went to di2 6870 and honestly, there's not much I'd change. It's perfect. Never skipped a beat. Occasional mis-shift but I think that's more to do with chain-wear than anything. I don't think I've EVER run out of battery and what's great is that I don't need to even think about it or bother adjusting it. It just works and I focus more anymore on riding.
That's great but exactly the same as my mechanical gears once they were set up initially I don't need to do anything it just works. But what I don't have to think about is charging things up it's enough hassle with gadgets as it is without the extra thought that I can't ride my bike because I didn't plug it in to charge the battery! I've heard that reason for not riding a bike a few times!

tomato

by tomato

c60rider wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:28 pm
That's great but exactly the same as my mechanical gears once they were set up initially I don't need to do anything it just works. But what I don't have to think about is charging things up it's enough hassle with gadgets as it is without the extra thought that I can't ride my bike because I didn't plug it in to charge the battery! I've heard that reason for not riding a bike a few times!
If you can't remember to charge the batteries, then electronic shifting probably isn't for you. I don't find it to be a problem, and the time and energy I put into charging my gear is less than the time and and energy I spend doing any of the following:
-- washing my kit
-- inflating my tires
-- lubing my chain
-- checking / refilling tire sealant
-- filling water bottles
-- cleaning bike
-- uploading ride data
-- repairing flats

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I'm all mechanical but that's because I work with the bleeding edge of tech at work every day and now have a strong appreciation for mechanical systems. Way too many batteries and other tech to deal with. It's like comparing an Apple Watch with a gold band to a Patek Philippe. If I was racing, no question it would be electronic for superior performance.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

[/quote]Electronic is the future and for the most part better, . .
[/quote]
Electronic shifting has been around for too many years to be the "future." It will have to coexist with mechanical for many years if not indefinitely. As long as some/many folks want lightweight, easy to maintain and fix road bikes mechanical will be there for them.

brusselsprouts

by brusselsprouts

Have both. Electronic is cool, but mechanical works fine too. No heavy preference for one or the other.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I use mechanical because I would rather fix a cable than have to replace a battery or anything digital etc...I like the thought of not being reliant on batteries or power to change my gears etc, same thing when I hike, camp too, and also why I have a SON dynamo & Rohloff hub on my Mtb...

DaveS

by DaveS

Electronic doesn't offer enough improvement for the price. I'm a Campy guy, but more than twice the price of Chorus 12, to go electronic isn't worth it to me, so I have two bikes with Chorus 12. Very happy with it and my rim brakes. I ride mountain descents frequently. I have all the braking power I need. No tubeless either. Over 7000 miles with no punctures.

Never broke a cable on a bike, ever.
Last edited by DaveS on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

After breaking four shift cables last year, I went electronic and will never go back to mechanical, but that's just me.

Unniti

by Unniti

I have a feeling that someone that managed to break 4 shifter cables in a year will find various ways to break electronic groupsets.

lewolive

by lewolive

I like the shifting of di2 but there is also the price in the balance...
The bike that I'm building now has a 9100 mechanical groupset because it's a very good value and I don't need more electronic on my bike. I have already the powermeter battery, and the Garmin battery to check. Mechanical can ride let's say 10000km with no maintenance except bearings, cleaning and greasing, chain replacement.
I prefer the top of the brand mechanical than a classic electronic with extra maintenance and extra weight.

However, this is for road...

For time trial, I expect a new bike soon, and I'll choose electronic thanks to the integration of shifters.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

kgt wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:41 pm
How did you do that?!
Technically, only two of them broke, the other two were worn out and got replaced before they actually broke. Rode 10k miles with over 600k ft of elevation last year, guess I shift a lot? Also, these were across three bikes. But the point is, I was absolutely sick of cable issues, either replacing, or adjusting, I was lucky to get a month without some type of issue. I'm already at 5k miles for this year, and as soon as I can go electronic on the gravel bike, I'll never have to worry about a cable again. Yes, it's more expensive, but absolutely worth it to me. Not to mention the Ultegra di2 shifter ergonomics are perfect, imo.
Unniti wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:36 pm
I have a feeling that someone that managed to break 4 shifter cables in a year will find various ways to break electronic groupsets.
I sure hope not! :lol: 3500 miles so far on the di2 with no issues.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Unniti wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:36 pm
Hahah. I was just thinking the same thing. I've not "broken" four shift cables in probably over 250k or riding. What a clown.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:01 am
Hahah. I was just thinking the same thing. I've not "broken" four shift cables in probably over 250k or riding. What a clown.
250,000 miles? Impressive. As mentioned, only two of them actually broke while riding. Learned that Shimano cables wear out quickly and you have to keep a close eye on them, I was only getting about 3k miles out of a rear cable (I've only been riding about 18 months, still have plenty to learn). But don't have to worry about cable issues anymore, so no worries. I can be a bit of a clown sometimes, no doubt. :lol: