Dirvetrain preference : Mechanical vs electronic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vermu

by Vermu

lewolive wrote:I like the shifting of di2 but there is also the price in the balance...
The bike that I'm building now has a 9100 mechanical groupset because it's a very good value and I don't need more electronic on my bike. I have already the powermeter battery, and the Garmin battery to check. Mechanical can ride let's say 10000km with no maintenance except bearings, cleaning and greasing, chain replacement.
I prefer the top of the brand mechanical than a classic electronic with extra maintenance and extra weight.

However, this is for road...

For time trial, I expect a new bike soon, and I'll choose electronic thanks to the integration of shifters.
This!
Dont own a power meter but I want my cycle to be effortless and my escape route. Had di2, hated the button feedback on rear. Too many times I was wondering how it went or didnt.

Adding boxes to checklist makes it more time consuming and for me it chips some joy out of it.
Fromt shifting on electric is a joy, but now on mechanical I enjoy the feel of wires. It adds more feel of control in to it.

Take the ZF automaticon cars, really good has better mileage shifts so well. Still I would like to have my weekend car with manual gearbox as the automatic just dulls the sensation.
Feel the same on electronic shifting, disconnects the actual shifting event from the cyclist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

revkev

by revkev

Only mechanical here. But mainly because the jump in price is too big. Seems like (based on my incomplete survey) you're typically paying $1k more for the same bike with electronic instead of mechanical. The benefits of electronic are appealing to me... but hard to say it appeals to me $1k worth.

Really curious if anyone would change their preference from mechanical to electronic if the price were the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Usually I don't jump at innovations the first chance I get, but last year I finally upgraded to the 11s Etap groupset (because I didn't like all the new standards for chains, BB's etc. that AXS brings, or the battery/cable of Di2, so I grabbed an 11s groupset while it was still possible).

Of all the 'innovations' like aero, carbon, powermeters, disc brakes (I now own them all), electronic shifting has by far been the most pleasant. I underestimated how easy it is to live with, no more pressing buttons twice, retensioning or replacing gear cables, shift under pressure or from the drops etc. Click once and it works.

As a home mechanic I love it. I'm not sure if my next bike is carbon, has deep rims or has discs, but it definitely will have electronic gears simply because the ease of installation, maintance and operation when stressed.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

SamD

by SamD

revkev wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:27 am
Only mechanical here. But mainly because the jump in price is too big. Seems like (based on my incomplete survey) you're typically paying $1k more for the same bike with electronic instead of mechanical. The benefits of electronic are appealing to me... but hard to say it appeals to me $1k worth.

Really curious if anyone would change their preference from mechanical to electronic if the price were the same.
I'd say the majority would go for electronic then, no?

For me, one big reason I'd like to go from Shimano R8020 to R8070 are the enormous hoods of the shifter levers due to the mechanical shifting + hydraulic braking combo.

RUNTHAT

by RUNTHAT

revkev wrote:

I'm kicking myself for not going electric when I got back on the saddle. I didn't want to front the extra cash, not knowing if I was going to make cycling a regular thing. Although I know myself, and wife telling me to just go electric, I still went mechanical. My Ultegra mechanical has worked flawlessly, but after jumping on my buddies Di2 bike, I think about it regularly. I like the idea of upgrading my bike to Di2, but seems like I'd get more benefit from other upgrades or simply investing in my own fitness.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

RUNTHAT wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:01 pm
revkev wrote:

I'm kicking myself for not going electric when I got back on the saddle. I didn't want to front the extra cash, not knowing if I was going to make cycling a regular thing. Although I know myself, and wife telling me to just go electric, I still went mechanical. My Ultegra mechanical has worked flawlessly, but after jumping on my buddies Di2 bike, I think about it regularly. I like the idea of upgrading my bike to Di2, but seems like I'd get more benefit from other upgrades or simply investing in my own fitness.
I paid €1.399 for a full Etap 22 groupset and sold off the Red cassette, cranks and brakes for little over €500. Also sold my good as new 105-5800 groupset for €250, making the price for upgrading not so bad. Having said that I already owned a nice frame, wheels and everything, but looking back I enjoy the electronic shifting a lot. If you have to pick, I'd probably go with Etap/Di2 over some carbon hoops or an integrated cockpit. The lack of maintenance and the 'click and it just works' simplicity really appeal to me.

Mechanical would still be an option, but not in combination with fully integrated cabling. Depens a little on the frame you have, my Cervelo S3 is really easy with big openings for the cables, but I've also worked on bikes where it cost me a couple of extra hours that could also be used riding your bike or working.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

RUNTHAT

by RUNTHAT

Ypuh wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:21 pm
I paid €1.399 for a full Etap 22 groupset and sold off the Red cassette, cranks and brakes for little over €500. Also sold my good as new 105-5800 groupset for €250, making the price for upgrading not so bad. Having said that I already owned a nice frame, wheels and everything, but looking back I enjoy the electronic shifting a lot. If you have to pick, I'd probably go with Etap/Di2 over some carbon hoops or an integrated cockpit. The lack of maintenance and the 'click and it just works' simplicity really appeal to me.

Mechanical would still be an option, but not in combination with fully integrated cabling. Depens a little on the frame you have, my Cervelo S3 is really easy with big openings for the cables, but I've also worked on bikes where it cost me a couple of extra hours that could also be used riding your bike or working.
I'm currently on Ultimate CF SL Disc with the H36 cockpit and some Mavic carbon wheels. I've looked at the Di2 upgrade kits that cost about $1,000.00 USD.
I really appreciate your input.

revkev

by revkev

SamD wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:16 am
revkev wrote:

I'd say the majority would go for electronic then, no?
That's what I would assume too - but some earlier in this thread seemed to be making the case for mechanical over electronic with no consideration of price. But I'd have to imagine price plays a role...

tleo

by tleo

RUNTHAT wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:01 pm
I'm kicking myself for not going electric when I got back on the saddle. I didn't want to front the extra cash, not knowing if I was going to make cycling a regular thing. Although I know myself, and wife telling me to just go electric, I still went mechanical. My Ultegra mechanical has worked flawlessly, but after jumping on my buddies Di2 bike, I think about it regularly.
Sounds like me. I made that mistake last year when I decided to get back into cycling since I retired and have plenty of time. In April I purchased new Ultegra mechanical bike and it was a great bike which I really liked. But I aways thought that maybe I should have just spent the money up front on Di2. Well, I really got into riding and come Jan. of this year I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to get the bike I really wanted all along with Di2 (also much nicer bike). And I'm not sorry did it at all since I ended up with a bike I absolutely love and didn't take too much of a financial hit since my old bike was in great shape. Lesson learned. I'm not getting any younger so might as well get what I want and enjoy it while I can instead of trying to nickel and dime my way to save a few bucks up front.

RUNTHAT

by RUNTHAT

tleo wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:24 pm
Sounds like me. I made that mistake last year when I decided to get back into cycling since I retired and have plenty of time. In April I purchased new Ultegra mechanical bike and it was a great bike which I really liked. But I aways thought that maybe I should have just spent the money up front on Di2. Well, I really got into riding and come Jan. of this year I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to get the bike I really wanted all along with Di2 (also much nicer bike). And I'm not sorry did it at all since I ended up with a bike I absolutely love and didn't take too much of a financial hit since my old bike was in great shape. Lesson learned. I'm not getting any younger so might as well get what I want and enjoy it while I can instead of trying to nickel and dime my way to save a few bucks up front.
HAHA That's awesome! Congrats on the new bike too. To touch on some of what the others are saying, many would choose electronic if prices were equal.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

I have mainly ridden mechanical. Currently, I have one mechanical and one electronic shifting. After experiencing both I would never purchase mechanical. It is a night and day difference. The best way I can describe it is as comparing a Black & White TV to a 1080p HD TV. Anyone that recommends mechanical over electronic shifting either can't afford electronic shifting. Or they are trying to put you at a disadvantage. There are no positives for mechanical over electronic. The reverse is not true.

lewolive

by lewolive

I don't see any advantage for a pro rider to ride with mechanical !
-They don't pay the drivetrain
-They don't care about weight as the limit is 6,8kg

I see many advantages for other riders to riding mechanical:

-It's cheaper and budget can be used for better wheels or buying 9100 instead of R8000
-weight savings
-when you leave the bike in the garage for months, you don't care if the battery is still charged
-With a good cable/housing mount, the energy required for shifting is marginal compared with di2.

outnumbered

by outnumbered

AMGRoadster wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:17 am
I have mainly ridden mechanical. Currently, I have one mechanical and one electronic shifting. After experiencing both I would never purchase mechanical. It is a night and day difference. The best way I can describe it is as comparing a Black & White TV to a 1080p HD TV. Anyone that recommends mechanical over electronic shifting either can't afford electronic shifting. Or they are trying to put you at a disadvantage. There are no positives for mechanical over electronic. The reverse is not true.
The reason I'm still all mechanical is simply because I like the idea of my bike being the last thing in my life that is not totally ruled by IT...

kgt

by kgt

+1
I was always very critical against electronic groupsets although I ride with a Campy SR EPS v3 since last Spring. It works flawlessly and I love it. IME the best thing in it, that makes it superior in terms of performance over a mechanical groupset, is the auto trim-adjustment. Smooth and silent with zero friction. Just great.

Having said that, and since I agree that bikes should better remain as simple machines as possible, I still believe that a well tuned Chorus or Ultegra groupset is the golden standard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octav

by octav

outnumbered wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:09 am
AMGRoadster wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:17 am
The reason I'm still all mechanical is simply because I like the idea of my bike being the last thing in my life that is not totally ruled by IT...
+1; Had Etap, Ultegra DI2 just to go with the trend and try them. Flawless experience.
Now sticking with Record 9 Titanium , Record 12 and Super Record 12 mechanical on my bikes.I like to get the most soul from my bikes, even a miss shift is nice to hear from time to time :)