Di2 questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Hi Guys,

I'm a long time Di2 user, previously having extensive experience on a 9070 system. Recently I built up a bike using Dura Ace 9150 parts. But the rear derailleur is an Ultegra RD-8050 GS instead of a RD-9150. I've noticed two things that are new to me, and I can't find any references in the Shimano dealer manual. #1 is that if the front derailleur is in the small ring position, the rear derailleur wouldn't go into the highest two gear. When I have to remove a rear wheel I always shift the RD to the highest gear. I think the latest Di2 doesn't want you to cross chain with the small-small combination. Within the eTube software I cannot find anything to disable this feature. I wonder if this feature is in all later Di2's or just on the 8050 GS derailleur. I would like to know if the same feature is found on the 9150 RD as well. I would really like to disable this feature. #2 is that if I hold the right shifter down to shift the RD in rapid succession, the green LED lights up for two seconds, then both the green and red LEDs light up for two second. What does this mean and how do I disable it? Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toiyuet

by toiyuet

Please read the reply by jwfinesse.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138020&start=1440

The LED mean Di2 at manual mode.
http://www.velonews.com/2017/05/bikes-a ... ift_437682

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

With R9150 and R8050 derailleurs, when using chainring combinations with a greater than 14T difference, the two high cogs will be "locked out" on the rear. I haven't been able to get a definitive answer from any of the Shimano people I have asked why this was designed this way. I suspect that with the new shadow designed rear derailleur and the synchro shift stuff in e-tube, Shimano is being over cautious to prevent any sort of chain slack.

You can "trick" the system to allow you into these two rear cogs if you set up your chainring combination to 53-39 in e-tube. Or, when removing the rear wheel, leave the chain on the big ring and then you can reach the smallest cog on the rear.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks guys. I'm using a 50/34 front chainrings. So perhaps it's a good idea to leave the 10-11 positions locked out. As for the LEDs, I know what's going on now. If I press a button down and hold it to shift multiple gears in rapid succession, that's the same action as checking the battery level. The green LED lights up sold for two seconds, that means the batter is near full. Then the green and red LED stay solid for seconds, indicating the 'M' mode. My 9070 probably did the same thing but I just never noticed it.