Focus Izalco Max -- When will it be updated?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Bb drop of 78 mm on all sizes is massive very american you find that kind of drop on rock lobster, baum frames generally : will be very stable ,

Stack is quite short for the reach , it looks like the have taken the stack of a smaller size and the reach of the next longer frame , like on some gravel cx and mtb frame more recently : I would need a XL but usually I use a L frame in Izalco and others models . So stack would be fine and stem one cm shorter and top tube one cm longer , more stable again .

Stack on the XL is only 7 mm more than my velocite syn disc aero in L size
But reach is 15Mm longer ! :o

Seat tube angle is also made for a more forward position with 73,5 degrees

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

romanmoser wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:19 pm
Bb drop of 78 mm on all sizes is massive very american you find that kind of drop on rock lobster, baum frames generally : will be very stable ,

Stack is quite short for the reach , it looks like the have taken the stack of a smaller size and the reach of the next longer frame , like on some gravel cx and mtb frame more recently : I would need a XL but usually I use a L frame in Izalco and others models . So stack would be fine and stem one cm shorter and top tube one cm longer , more stable again .

Stack on the XL is only 7 mm more than my velocite syn disc aero in L size
But reach is 15Mm longer ! :o

Seat tube angle is also made for a more forward position with 73,5 degrees
Also slack across the board with even the bigger sizes sporting 72 degree HA, with a little extra fork offset. Should be super stable. I have my custom bike built with similar but not quite as extreme geo and its nice to ride, 72.5 HA, 75mm drop, 55 top tube with stack equivalent to a small race bike.

wingguy

by wingguy

Cemicar wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:35 pm
Btw, the geometry is very interesting, as these head tubes are unbelievably short!
With so many significantly different axle to crown forks and BB drops on today's bikes, head tube length is meaningless in isolation. Look at stack instead.

euan

by euan

romanmoser wrote:
Bb drop of 78 mm on all sizes is massive very american you find that kind of drop on rock lobster, baum frames generally : will be very stable
Don't know BB drop screams old school Euro to me.

wingguy

by wingguy

euan wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:26 pm
romanmoser wrote:
Bb drop of 78 mm on all sizes is massive very american you find that kind of drop on rock lobster, baum frames generally : will be very stable
Don't know BB drop screams old school Euro to me.
Yeah. I'm not an expert in road design history but my understanding was the rise of the big Americans (Trek, Spesh, 'Dale etc) taking over the market with high BB carbon road bikes designed around snappy crit race handling was what wiped out the established European steel low BB geometry.

Nice that a few bigger players are bringing it back though!

(Oh, and Baum is Australian anyway, right? :P )

robertbb

by robertbb

wingguy wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:25 pm
Cemicar wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:35 pm
Btw, the geometry is very interesting, as these head tubes are unbelievably short!
With so many significantly different axle to crown forks and BB drops on today's bikes, head tube length is meaningless in isolation. Look at stack instead.
Interesting. I was thinking of picking up an Izalco max. Trying to compare their size S with 2017 Canyon Ultimate SLX size S... I got put off by the head tube length but might take another look.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

romanmoser wrote:

Traditionally American race bikes have had less BB drop, not more. This was a byproduct of the American race scene being crit centric. It was advantageous to have a geometry which allowed more pedaling through corners.

Designs have mostly converged around the 70-72mm range for middle sizes AFAIK.

Any recent trend of "American" bikes having more BB drop has more to do with the rise of endurance bikes and gravel bikes with clearance for >30mm tires.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

robertbb wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:08 am
Interesting. I was thinking of picking up an Izalco max. Trying to compare their size S with 2017 Canyon Ultimate SLX size S... I got put off by the head tube length but might take another look.
yes. the "fork construction height" of the new izalco max ist 392mm. traditional fork height is 368-372mm (old izalco max has 370mm). so i am very shure you have to add those 20 mm of difference to the head tube length to make it comparable to a traditional bike.
Last edited by reedplayer on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:03 am
romanmoser wrote:

Traditionally American race bikes have had less BB drop, not more. This was a byproduct of the American race scene being crit centric. It was advantageous to have a geometry which allowed more pedaling through corners.

Designs have mostly converged around the 70-72mm range for middle sizes AFAIK.

Any recent trend of "American" bikes having more BB drop has more to do with the rise of endurance bikes and gravel bikes with clearance for >30mm tires.

should have precised '' custom american '' bikes
Rock Lobster have more than that even on road bikes without huge clearance I think ..

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Rock Lobster is completely custom...saying they have X amount of BB drop is weird...

romanmoser

by romanmoser

all of the ones I've seen on paceline or VS are designed that way
I think it's something important for Paul

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Any more updates on this?