Most light weight powermeter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

Hi, there.
Im looking for lightest powermeter which support both left and right side.
I heard that shimano powermeter and garmin vector3 are very lightweight, just adding under 100g right?
please recommend to me lightweight power meters except shimano and garmin vecter.

ps. now im using stages but i cant trust that power data.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chris3g

by Chris3g

Favero Assioma is 22g lighter than vector3, it’s the lightest dual side pedal-based PM.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/pow ... sioma.html

4iiii might be the lightest overall, adding only 25g.

stevey028

by stevey028

Hmmm 4iiii is the lightest, I'm suprised at that. Shame about the bad reports.

KevinM

by KevinM

Don’t get too hung up on power meter data accuracy. The thing about power data is that the numbers only matter as long as they’re consistent.

Example - if your power meter says your ftp is 250, even though you know for some reason that it’s really 275, as long as you’re doing your intervals as prescribed, 50% ftp, then 110% ftp, then 50% ftp, then 110% ftp, it doesn’t really matter what the number on the screen is. If it’s 110% of what it thinks your ftp number is, you’re still doing the exact same workout at the exact same effort as if it read 275.

silvalis

by silvalis

Are powertap hubs still popular? I think G3 hubs were between 50-100g heavier depending on your reference.
Chasse patate

markb9

by markb9

4iiii is 25g.
Or you could get Stages which is around 35g

chunky666

by chunky666

Considering most bikes on here are weighed without pedals surely any pedal based PM is the answer as they'd don't weigh anything! 😂😂

claus

by claus

KevinM wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 am
The thing about power data is that the numbers only matter as long as theyre consistent.
And then you switch to a new/different power meter... and all the old data is now probably useless.

KevinM

by KevinM

chunky666 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:21 pm
Considering most bikes on here are weighed without pedals surely any pedal based PM is the answer as they'd don't weigh anything! 😂😂
🎯

KevinM

by KevinM

claus wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 pm
KevinM wrote:
The thing about power data is that the numbers only matter as long as theyre consistent.
And then you switch to a new/different power meter... and all the old data is now probably useless.
Exactly! All that matters is the meter you’re using is consistent.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Is the data useless though, you train at what you can train at and should be re-testing regularly. It doesn’t matter what you were doing last year if you can’t do it now etc. Most of us are likely on the slow (hopefully steady) decline toward absolute mediocrity through middle age anyway, who really wants to compare 5 years ago... :lol:

refthimos

by refthimos

Chans1ee wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:01 am
Im looking for lightest powermeter which support both left and right side.[...]

ps. now im using stages but i cant trust that power data.
First of all, congrats on not being sucked into accepting a single-sided powermeter, which should more aptly be called a "power estimator."

I think you first need to select the location of the PM before answering your question.

If you are looking at pedals-based PMs, then we need to know what pedals you use (or are willing to use) to establish the baseline. You can't really say "Pedal-based PM Brand X is only heavier by __g" unless you are already using or willing to use that pedal platform. For me, I run Speedplays with custom length axles so a pedal-based PM is not an option.

You have the same issue with a PowerTap hub. How much "heavier" depends on what rear hub you are replacing. So we would need to know your baseline. But to use just one example, if you are running an Extralite CyberRear SL rear hub (134g), the PowerTap G3 hub at 330g is 196g heavier. And then you have to consider whether you are sacrificing (or gaining) hub performance and overall wheel geometry/stiffness with the change in hub.

Your question is most easily answerable when considering a crank-based PM, since a crank is almost "universal" and so you are generally free to choose any crank-based PM and it will work with your frame and other component choices (yes, there are some exceptions, e.g. the Rotor 2Inpower is only offered with a 30mm spindle and so you won't be able to use it with a Trek BB90 bottom bracket).

Among dual-sided crank-based PMs, is there any option lighter than a SISL2 crankset with an SRM or P2Max NG spider? I'm going to throw that up as our straw man "lightest crank PM" and see if any of you can knock it down.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

AndreLM

by AndreLM

A SiSL2 with SRM or P2M is probably one of the lightest, but it is limited to BB30/PF30 frames. Another BB30 alternatives, that are potentially even lighter, and still dual-sided:
- S-Works power crank (with factory-installed 4iiii pods)... for now I think they are only available with new Tarmacs and Venges...
- SiSL2 with Watteam powerbeat pods

(I am not saying they are as reliable as SRM or P2M though...)

Other lightweight spider-based options:
- Easton EC90 SL with P2M NGEco spider (BB386... compatible with everything but Trek BB90)
- THM Clavicula M3 with SRM (BB386... but discontinued?)
- SRM Origin (I have seen different weights online, but not sure if it was for 24mm or 30mm version)

Stueys

by Stueys

KevinM wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:46 pm
claus wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 pm
KevinM wrote:
Exactly! All that matters is the meter you’re using is consistent.
As long as you don’t want to use a smart turbo with inbuilt power meter, or get another bike with a PM, etc, etc. Accuracy and consistency are both important.

dalex

by dalex

AndreLM wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 pm
SRM Origin (I have seen different weights online, but not sure if it was for 24mm or 30mm version)
Mine: 662 g all up (30 mm axle, both cranks, Shimano Dura Ace 52/36 rings)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com