Why are most integrated bar/stem combos so heavy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

Outside of Bontrager XXX and a few boutique options most bar/stem combos seem to be 100g+ heavier than a normal bar and stem, despite losing the hardware associated with the stem clamp. You would think that these would be considerably lighter but there has to be some sort of engineering limitation for why they don't even approach the weight of a normal light aluminum stem with a carbon bar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

In General aero bars are heavier then round and a majority in the integrated bars are aero as well.. so it makes sense. My canyon h11s are 330g .. I do wish they were 260ish
Last edited by spdntrxi on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Shrike

by Shrike

Complex shape with too many directions of stress to have to protect against (compared to something much more straightforward stress-wise like a carbon wheel).

Most of the one piece cockpits are gen 1 though so at least we can look forward to them getting lighter and stiffer 8)

TonyM

by TonyM

For sure the weight will decrease in the future!

robertbb

by robertbb

It's OK though, for that extra weight you also get stuck with a fixed length stem, at a fixed angle, and bars with a particular drop shape, flare, width and reach....... and you get to pay more for it!

And all for a comparatively tiny aero gain in very specific conditions! ;-)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

robertbb wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:35 am
It's OK though, for that extra weight you also get stuck with a fixed length stem, at a fixed angle, and bars with a particular drop shape, flare, width and reach....... and you get to pay more for it!

And all for a comparatively tiny aero gain in very specific conditions! ;-)
yeah but the bar will never slip in the stem... :mrgreen: which can happen and had happened to me in the past.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

aplcr0331

by aplcr0331

Because Aero is more important than weight now.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

aplcr0331 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 am
not always.. but I got a round (oval) frame, so I'm looking for aero in other areas.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Cemicar

by Cemicar

In my understanding, "aero" is kinda akin to "stiff". While you may be able to create an aerodynamic yet light stem with very thin carbon layers, riders on aero bikes also require insane stiffness for their sprints. Thus pretty much everything aero is so heavy.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I've had better results bonding a fav stem & bar. My lightest was 210g., and expecting to have the next come in at 225g. Thank you Mr. Goganian!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

aplcr0331 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 am
It has always been such. What has changed is our appreciation of that fact.

ps. I hope I don't lose my W Weenie membership!

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Isn’t aero about the shape ? I don see any reason why a aero combo could not be light . Some aero frames are now very light. Race cars ,planes are about aero and they use some of the lightest carbon available although not always fit for purpose to use on a bike but shows it’s about the shape not the weight. Perhaps and I think the bike company’s have to put safety first and a 250grm combo may be costly for them, where as a independent carbon builder can just stick your stem and bar of Choice together . Soon as someone makes 150 grm aero bar we will see a super light combo.

hannawald

by hannawald

Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:08 pm
Isn’t aero about the shape ? I don see any reason why a aero combo could not be light.
Without being a scientist just from what I know reading articles - aero is about shape. But you need to make the tube also stiff, not just aero. And to make it stiffer you need to add additional material compared to classic round shape. So it is a trade off aero vs light vs stiff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

Nowadayd integreted bar/stems are built with an emphasis on aerodynamics. Aero shape has less stiffness than traditional round design, so it inevitably gets heavier than traditional design.
If integreted handlebar is made in traditional form, it will be much lighter than it is now.