Repairing a Carbonworks cage

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Travelled with them (probably not the wisest thing to do) and one had a fracture at the top. Don't look too bad at all, uneven surface at the area now but nothing has splintered out. Cosmetics aside, is it reliable to just wind some fibre over it and plaster it with epoxy? Any thoughts? Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leej88

by leej88

I'm no CF repair expert but I too broke mine and realized that they're hollow in the inside (not surprising given how light they are).

Not sure if your repair method would hold up since there isn't much structure to begin with.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

@leej88, did you broke yours while riding with them?

leej88

by leej88

Mine actually broke at the bottle cage screw section after repeated bottle insertions. Just normal wear and tear I guess?

Anyway, I took them out and did a bit of strength test and they broke rather easily. The insides are completely hollow.

Kinda like those Asian egg roll snacks but much thinner.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

From the photo, I would use some carbon epoxy on the cracked area and tape it up with gaffa or even some string just to keep it tight while the glue takes effect. I would imagine if you wrap carbon around the area it could mess up the way your bottle would slide in and out. I would glue it as it is and it should be ok. The bottle weight presses down so I don’t see no reason it would not hold up fine. Just be carful not to get glue on the tape or string you wrap it with.
I bubble wrap the crap out of my bikes when I travel . I wrap everything including my cage ( smud and a tune both 4 grams) it takes about 3O minutes to do and I’ve never had any issues. It’s almost worry free . I’ve seen one airline actually sling my bike bag over the heads. It’s the way to go :thumbup:

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

@jenmoss Not sure what's carbon epoxy; will the common Araldite epoxy work? I used to patch up my carbon-kevlar kayak with a fibre patch and araldite and wrap a layer of clear plastic over it which just stays on. How do you remove gaffa tape if it's wrapped over it?

tommyb

by tommyb

Snapped mine on Sunday, contacted Simon at Carbonworks yesterday and they offer a 25€ crash replacement :thumbup: :thumbup:

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

That's great! I'll see if Simon can help me out as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Kayrehn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:21 am
@jenmoss Not sure what's carbon epoxy; will the common Araldite epoxy work? I used to patch up my carbon-kevlar kayak with a fibre patch and araldite and wrap a layer of clear plastic over it which just stays on. How do you remove gaffa tape if it's wrapped over it?

I used this site . I also got some carbon wrap . Very thin but a real pain to use . Just some advice ,if your buying carbon sheets etc you need to make sure of the quality of the carbon you use. Some of it is just not fit for purpose. Looks like you will get a replacement :thumbup:

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/resi ... poxy-resin