Custom Stem Builder?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I'm looking for a custom stem maker in the US who can do extreme rises. My current supplier goes up to 35° 150mm but sometimes there's a demand for even higher. I'd prefer aluminum because of cost but titanium is a possibility. 1 1/8" steerer, 31.8mm 4 bolt bar clamp.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Ask any framebuilder who tig welds. But only expect them to offer to make one from steel and not anything else.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Yeah, that's the fallback and I know a few who make Ti stems so they could probably do weird sizes but I'm hoping to find someone who can do aluminum (reasonable price and weight).

inspclouseau

by inspclouseau

Not US, and not aluminum,but maybe try and email Berk Composites. I follow them on IG and they do really nice work.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I'm just curious about why?

Why would you need a stem greater than 35 degrees and longer than 150mm? At that point, I think you'd want to start looking for a new frame.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

topflightpro wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:28 pm
I'm just curious about why?

Why would you need a stem greater than 35 degrees and longer than 150mm? At that point, I think you'd want to start looking for a new frame.
Our travel case can only fit a fork steerer tube up to a certain length. About once a year (maybe every other year) we have a customer who wants the bar higher than the max steerer length and 35°, 130 or 150mm stem gets it. Those customers have to remove the fork from the frame and pack it in a seperate bag. As a mechanic on the tours I've seen a couple bikes like this. To me that kind of defeats the purpose of the Santana Safecase & Z-coupler system because it's normally such a simple and elegant way to pack a travel tandem. I'd like to offer those guys a solution that lets them put the handlebar where they want and still pack the bike as intended*. Who knows, maybe no one will choose it cuz they prefer the look of a more traditional stem and tall steerer and are willing to deal with a little extra packing hassle.

Also remember, 150mm isn't very "long" when angled up at 35°+. The Safecase doesn't limit top tube length within reason, only steerer length. It was designed before the age of foot long head tubes.

It sounds as if Ti guys like Erikson or Moots are the only option. Or one of the steel stem guys. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

*I realize handlebar risers and steerer extensions exist but those are even goofier looking than a 45° stem and probably heavy and flexy.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

That makes sense. Thanks.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Have you had a look at adjustable stems. Bbb make a high stack trekking stem at up to 60 degrees rise.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Thanks for pointing those out. Perhaps that would work but maybe a little short on reach when angled way up because they don't make an extension longer than 120. Also, kinda heavy and inellegant.

It doesn't look like Ericksen makes stems and custom Moots are $520. Any leads on something cheaper than Moots but lighter than steel or adjustable?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euph

by euph

Frank the welder on Instagram welds the Spooky frames. He may be able to help? As a experienced aluminium welder in the bike trade it might be worth a try.