Di2 Internal Option

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lord_brush

by lord_brush

So, I have a BT- DN110 internal battery cell on DA 9070, and have bought a Pro Vibe Di2 stem and bars. I was going to run them as traditional battery in seat tube and external junction box under the stem, but am now wondering whether I can run the new internal routing set up.

Other than the obvious bar end junction fitting, what else would I need? Do I need a special steerer expander seeing as the battery is down there?
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I'm assuming you're talking about putting the battery in the steerer tube. If so you'll ether need an expander that doubles as a battery holder, or a battery holder. Shimano has pro-branded accessories for both here if one didn't come with your stem. Bar end junction should replace the external. You'll still need the 4-port in the downtube to split to the derailleurs, but sounds like you should be good.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Thanks. Is the rubber steerer tube battery sheath thing any different to the seatpost one I already have?
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

lord_brush

by lord_brush

I'm assuming the battery I have is also compatible, or do I need the SM-BTR2?

lord_brush

by lord_brush

This is the routing I'm hoping to make work. Any issues?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AjPXw4cxEL6q5kFB2

trex021

by trex021

No need to put the battery in the steerer tube (unless you want it there).
- Put the bar end junction on the left bar end
- Run a short cable from the bar end junction to the left shifter
- Run a short cable from the left shifter to the right shifter
- Run the long cable to the BB junction like you have it in your diagram
- Battery in seatpost

The BT-DN110 is the one you want. The bar end junction works great with 9070

BTW This guy has a good video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg1X8G2pn_I
Though he has his brakes setup english style so he has the bar end junction on the right. If you like your rear brake on the right shifter I recommend you do it my way.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

I guess battery could stay in the seatpost then. Never really thought about that.

Yup, I'll also be running UK stylee.

Cheers!

trex021

by trex021

Running the cables through the bars can be a real pain.

I found the best way was to attach string to the cable. This guy's method is ingenious! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks42F8sVJoI (I taped a string to the wire cable on his cable pulling tool)

Then I taped shut all the openings in the bars except where the cable entered and exited. I then held a vacuum hose over the exit and the string magically makes it around all the bends!

Repeat for each cable run. It works very well.
Last edited by trex021 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooo

by ooo

I don't liket this di2 specific expander, because it have very small contact space with steer tube.
You have to use di2 specific stem and you have to cut your steer tube very accurately

There are 2 types of stems - one looks like normal with top hole (see image) and other have top hole + special nut on bottom (see youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS_ECDs-5bM (notice that rubber have special install hooks)

Not sure if it is ok to use with carbon steer tube, probably better with metal steerer.
Attachments
di2-expander.jpg
'

lord_brush

by lord_brush

trex021 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:42 pm
Is it preferable as to where the long cable goes to from the BB junction? Should I route it to the other bar end terminal, or to one of the spare shifter terminals?

Thanks

Hexsense

by Hexsense

lord_brush wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:59 pm
trex021 wrote:
Is it preferable as to where the long cable goes to from the BB junction? Should I route it to the other bar end terminal, or to one of the spare shifter terminals?

Thanks
I'm planning to insert sm-ewwu111 bluetooth/ant+ transmitter here between left shifter and bb. It basically split this long long cable into 2 piece.
where to put SM-EWWU111 is the question, i can leave it inside the bar just before it exit internal routing port of the bar or i can put it inside the frame just to the side of cable entrance port. Either way should be fine.

Also, the new Y-junction EW-JC130 is also an alternative option to running all normal cable between the shifters. It is more expensive than just run regular cable but it save you a free port on the shifter just in case you want climbing shifter in additional to sprint shifter which already have their own dedicated ports on shifters.

(option 2)
EW-JC130 , size SS: 50mm, 250mm, 350mm.
(let it sit to the left of the bar for left side di2 cable exit)
50mm-> Dfly,
250mm -> Left shifter
350mm -> Right shifter.
an additional 150-200mm cable required for connecting Left or Right bar end junction and left or right shifter.
This set up save you 1 port for additional climbing shifter. (and utilize only 1 port on bar end junction)

(option 3)
EW-JC130 , size SM: 50mm, 350mm, 450mm.
(can sit pretty much anywhere near center of the bar)
50mm-> Dfly,
350mm -> Left shifter
450mm -> Right bar end junction.
an additional 150-200mm cable required for connecting Right bar end junction and Right shifter.
This set up use both port of bar end junction but it save you two port on shifters (1 on each side) for climbing shifter.

dricked

by dricked

I just converted my bike to the Ultegra 6870 di2 using the bar end junction. The problem I had was the levers only have a single port so I ended up using a second “B” junction box in the opposite side of the bar and bringing the “a” junction/one lever/rear “B” junction to it. I was originally going to use the Vibe bar/stem combo and put the battery in the steer tube but decided to keep it in the seat post for simplicity (star but in steer tube already). My personal plan was to but the EWWU11 in below the battery or into the frame just above the BB “B” junction when I upgrade the battery to the BT unit. I would put the EWWU11 somewhere easily accessible.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

On the DA 9070 shifters with 3 terminals, can the "dedicated", satellite lower terminals be used for standard connections or are they different in any way?

ooo

by ooo

No, it is only for sprint shifter
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trex021

by trex021

lord_brush wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:59 pm
trex021 wrote:

Thanks
I think the video I linked has the best solution, i.e. run the long cable to one of the two terminals on the left shifter (for UK style).

FWIW I placed my bluetooth transmitter, EW-WU11, on a short cable attached to the second terminal in my bar end junction. It sits inside my (carbon) bars nice and close to my Garmin, though I think it would work anywhere.
Last edited by trex021 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.