Trek Emonda SL/SLR build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rando29

by Rando29

Firstly hello all - this is my first post on WW and have read through lots of posts but thought i would start one of my own with regard to a Trek Emonda future build and some advice / experiences from you good people.
I am from the UK and have only ever ridden Trek bikes - Trek Pilot followed by Domane 2.3 and then a Domane 5.2 and now I am in the position for a new purchase and after lots of time reading reviews and after a bike fit I am down to the Trek Emonda. I am 186cm tall with 93cm inseam which makes me all legs hence I want a bike that is taller in the headtube. My Domane's are size 60cm and this is the size I will get for the Emonda. I know it would probably make sense to get a Domane SLR but I want a change ! and the Emonda is not too different in size that will caue any issues.
So it is down to the following; Both will be 2018 framesets.

Emonda SL with SRAM Etap and handbuilt wheels
or
Emonda SLR with Ultegra Di2 and handbuilt wheels
or cheaper option
Emonda SL with Ultegra Di2 and handbuilt wheels

The first two options come out at approximately the same ££.
So go for the better frame or better goupset option (Etap may not be better to some people but it is certainly more expensive than Di2 !)
Being 85kg in weight myself is there any benefit for the SLR frameset just to save a few hundred grammes. Is the ride much better on the SLR than the SL or not really noticable ?

Has anyone been fortunate enough to have ridden both SL & SLR or maybe even upgrded from SL to SLR ?

Thanks for reading and hoping someone will have some good advice.

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

You're 2cm shorted than me and I ride and 58cm Domane SLR and Emonda SLR, I am all body though.

Personally I'd go for the better frame. Groupset can be upgraded later (if required) at less cost than a frame. I have eTap on my Emonda having previously had Dura Ace. I don't find the etap as good as the Shimano equivalent. While it's miles easier to setup. That's a one time thing so shouldn't really be a deal breaker.

As far as I'm aware the SL frameset hasn't been updated this year so the SLR is a considerably better frame if it's 2018 model. It's surprisingly comfortable, though not Domane comfortable. But then it's doesn't have the slight lazy feel that the Domane has in comparison.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rando29

by Rando29

Geordiepaul wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:56 pm
You're 2cm shorted than me and I ride and 58cm Domane SLR and Emonda SLR, I am all body though.

Personally I'd go for the better frame. Groupset can be upgraded later (if required) at less cost than a frame. I have eTap on my Emonda having previously had Dura Ace. I don't find the etap as good as the Shimano equivalent. While it's miles easier to setup. That's a one time thing so shouldn't really be a deal breaker.

As far as I'm aware the SL frameset hasn't been updated this year so the SLR is a considerably better frame if it's 2018 model. It's surprisingly comfortable, though not Domane comfortable. But then it's doesn't have the slight lazy feel that the Domane has in comparison.
Thanks Geordiepaul - I thought the 2018 SL frame was the old 2017 SLR as it now has direct mount brakes but i could be wrong.
Have you got the stock bontrager pro stop brakes ? I know SRAM do not have any direct mount brakes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Pretty close. The SL is the same as last year with the exception of the direct mount brakes as you note. Both the SL and SLR shared the same tube shapes and profiles (just different carbon and probably layup schedule, and option of H1 geo with the SLR). For 2018 the tube shapes were modified in the SLR which I think gives it a little smoother refined look, and a little more curve to it, especially the downtube. It also allowed the rear brake cable entry point on the top tube to be positioned on the non drive side which provides a nicer cable routing for right hand rear braking systems. Of course, if you get the disc version that makes no difference as the rear brake routing does not use the top tube. I think a 60 sounds right for you. I’m presuming you’re going with H2 geo given your past preferences, which is the only geo available in the SL should you go that way.
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Why can't you build a SLR with eTap? If you go Project One, you can.

I have a 2015 SLR with eTap and rented a SL6 while on vacation. The SLR is a stiffer and lighter frame. But the SL6 is the best value for the price.

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

Rando29 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 pm
Geordiepaul wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks Geordiepaul - I thought the 2018 SL frame was the old 2017 SLR as it now has direct mount brakes but i could be wrong.
Have you got the stock bontrager pro stop brakes ? I know SRAM do not have any direct mount brakes.
Yes i have the newer speed stop pro brakes. They're pretty good if a little fiddly to setup. Very light though.

Rando29

by Rando29

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:19 pm
Pretty close. The SL is the same as last year with the exception of the direct mount brakes as you note. Both the SL and SLR shared the same tube shapes and profiles (just different carbon and probably layup schedule, and option of H1 geo with the SLR). For 2018 the tube shapes were modified in the SLR which I think gives it a little smoother refined look, and a little more curve to it, especially the downtube. It also allowed the rear brake cable entry point on the top tube to be positioned on the non drive side which provides a nicer cable routing for right hand rear braking systems. Of course, if you get the disc version that makes no difference as the rear brake routing does not use the top tube. I think a 60 sounds right for you. I’m presuming you’re going with H2 geo given your past preferences, which is the only geo available in the SL should you go that way.
Yes will be the H2 geo and did consider the disc version until i saw the cable running down the inside of the front fork rather than internal - that just totally ruined it IMO.

Rando29

by Rando29

oldnslow2 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:44 pm
Why can't you build a SLR with eTap? If you go Project One, you can.

I have a 2015 SLR with eTap and rented a SL6 while on vacation. The SLR is a stiffer and lighter frame. But the SL6 is the best value for the price.
Down to budget I am afraid - Trek Project one with Etap is £5750. Ideally want to stay under the £5000.
The weight saving of the SLR is not going to be a major % of the total bike & rider when I am about 85kg but aiming for 80Kg by spring.
Ideally need to ride both but I doubt over the test rides would be conclusive over only a couple of hours riding.
Currently edging towards the SLR with Di2.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Rando29 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:56 pm
Currently edging towards the SLR with Di2.
You can't go wrong with that combo.

sfo423

by sfo423

I was looking at these bikes (Emonda) too. Speciically the Émonda SLR 6 Disc or the SL 7 disc.

Has anyone rode SLR and SL frames for comparison? I'd ride a 60cm and curious if the carbon is noticably stiffer in one vs. the other. Bigger bike w/tall head tubes often times don't make for a stiff front end.

These are basically the same price ($5k) but on the SLR the frame is ~500g lighter but has weak wheels compared to the SL. So, better frame vs. better wheels & Di2.

SLR 6: manual shift Ultegra & Bontrager Paradigm Comp wheels
SL 7: Di2 Ultegra & Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 wheels

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

sfo423 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:39 pm
Has anyone rode SLR and SL frames for comparison?
I own a SLR and rented a SL when on vacation. I didn't notice a huge difference, but the SLR did accelerate quicker and felt more reactive. Not the SL had Ultegra and my SLR had eTap.

Given the fact the SL6 was a 1/3 the cost of my SLR Project One... it's a great value.

dantalparadiso

by dantalparadiso

Hello,

I bought an Emonda SL6 2018.

I am disappointed, it feels stiff and nice, but the down tube is too too too large, and I feel it slows you down a lot.

I think a Canyon, Rose, or a normal race bike (not aero bike) is 10 watts faster, and an aero bike is really 20watts faster.

What do you think ?

Best,

Geoff

by Geoff

well, I don't know about the SL, but the H1 SLR is an all-aroung great frameset. Very stiff, stupid-light, what else could you ask for?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

sfo423 wrote:
I was looking at these bikes (Emonda) too. Speciically the Émonda SLR 6 Disc or the SL 7 disc.

Has anyone rode SLR and SL frames for comparison? I'd ride a 60cm and curious if the carbon is noticably stiffer in one vs. the other. Bigger bike w/tall head tubes often times don't make for a stiff front end.

These are basically the same price ($5k) but on the SLR the frame is ~500g lighter but has weak wheels compared to the SL. So, better frame vs. better wheels & Di2.

I think i mentioned this somewhere else, TrekTravel is selling their SLR7's out of Madison,WI. https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bik/ ... 81884.html the price seems somewhat negotiable. Maybe you can get a set of wheels too.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

sfo423 wrote:

I don't want to hijack the topic but this is the question I have been asking myself, re: front end stiffness vs bike/headtube size...

I am 6-4 and thinking the stiffness people talk about for a 54cm bike really translates the same amount for a say 62cm bike. Hope more knowledgeable members can chime in here and give me a clue.

I agree with other posters btw, go with the better frame do the groupset upgrades later.

Don't worry too much about cable routing aesthetics when it comes to disc vs caliper. I have been riding an SL4 Roubaix disc since 2015 and very happy with it. Safety first!
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com