Hollowgram vs Sram Red cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TLN

by TLN

Hi all.

Got a new bike recently and it came with some tasteful upgrades. Zipp Sprint SL, Hollowgram cranks to name a few.
I don't really like mix of all different brands on a bike, and not a fan of spesh chainrings (Sram red in black(etap model I think) looks soo great to me). At some point I thought about replacing it so I'll have matched brands. While I probably won't notice difference in my stem (Enve vs Zipp for example), I've heard that hollowgram cranks are one of the best. Mine are regular SI SL hollowgrams with chainrings, not one-piece.

So does it sound too werid to "downgrade some parts"? This won't cost me anything, in fact I might be able to get some profit, but I woundn't count on that.
Do you think I will notice difference in cranks? I have to admit that I'm on a heavier and stronger end.
Weight is not an issue, but I expect hollowgrams will be lighter as well.
I might simply replace chainrings with oval one, just to get rid of ugly chainrings that I have now.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

gilles75

by gilles75

TLN wrote:Hi all.

Got a new bike recently and it came with some tasteful upgrades. Zipp Sprint SL, Hollowgram cranks to name a few.
I don't really like mix of all different brands on a bike, and not a fan of spesh chainrings (Sram red in black(etap model I think) looks soo great to me). At some point I thought about replacing it so I'll have matched brands. While I probably won't notice difference in my stem (Enve vs Zipp for example), I've heard that hollowgram cranks are one of the best. Mine are regular SI SL hollowgrams with chainrings, not one-piece.

So does it sound too werid to "downgrade some parts"? This won't cost me anything, in fact I might be able to get some profit, but I woundn't count on that.
Do you think I will notice difference in cranks? I have to admit that I'm on a heavier and stronger end.
I might simply replace chainrings with oval one, just to get rid of ugly chainrings that I have now.
The Sram Red BB30 crankset is lighter than the Cannondale Hollwgram SiSl by around 100gr. It is a very good crankset. The Cannondale SISl2 is almost as light as the red, but so much more expensive that I never considered it a viable option for my 'Dales. I like the look of the spider ring, but some light rings on a SRAM red crank are a combination that is hard to beat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

gilles75 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:32 pm
The Sram Red BB30 crankset is lighter than the Cannondale Hollwgram SiSl by around 100gr. It is a very good crankset. The Cannondale SISl2 is almost as light as the red, but so much more expensive that I never considered it a viable option for my 'Dales. I like the look of the spider ring, but some light rings on a SRAM red crank are a combination that is hard to beat.
I like spider ring too, but I got a different sram rings. Guess I should try to score a deal on Red22, since it's cheaper and lighter.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

gilles75 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:32 pm
TLN wrote:Hi all.

Okay, you're the first responder ... why the impulse to quote the entire original post over again?

evan326

by evan326

Glad someone else said it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

I've cracked the SISL2 arms twice now. The first time it debonded when disassembling and the second time was a stress crack. They look nice and feel stiff but Red22 is a better crank in almost every regard except looks. The cherry on top being that you only need an Allen key to install and disassemble.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

RyanH wrote:I've cracked the SISL2 arms twice now. The first time it debonded when disassembling and the second time was a stress crack. They look nice and feel stiff but Red22 is a better crank in almost every regard except looks. The cherry on top being that you only need an Allen key to install and disassemble.
Interesting. I've been riding them on my daily driver MTB for 2+ years now. Regularly get rock strikes. No problems.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

I have sisl 2 on my guru for 2years , I also had red cranks on my trek for a few months . The main difference I notice was the wheels manufacturing ceramic B.B. ,that’s made a noticeable improvement.
I was never a believer in ceramic bearings but for cranks i really notice the difference. Have ceramic bearings now for my vuma quad not sure if the bearings are ceramic on my clavicula . Will find out and replace if needed.
I tend to think it’s more about the mechanics of the spinning that makes the real impact ,that nice smooth spin feeling. I have used red , Cannondale , fsa , zipp,stronglight Helion , Dura ace cranks and never noticed that much difference until I used ceramic bearings.
One thing I don’t like about the sisl is the fact it’s in 3 pieces. I prefer if it was 2 piece and they try and make the actual crank lighter rather than the flimsy spindle.
Ceramics :thumbup:

Nixster

by Nixster

Been thinking about Red cranks to swap out with my Rotor Inpower set up on PF30/BB30a Supersix evo2. What's a light and cheap power meter option with those? Current is 726g with Praxis rings and AA battery and I'd like to save 200g!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com