Latex tubes nowadays - best performance tubes for race clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Marin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:46 pm
I run latex in 4 of my 5 wheelsets, and in all 3 carbon clincher sets. 2 x Vredestein, 1 x Vittoria, 1 x Challenge.

If you mount them correctly you won't have any problems.
I concur with Marin. :beerchug:

I’ve been using Challenge latex tubes in my carbon clinchers for years without issue. Learn their fickle ways and you’ll be rewarded.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

I run Vittoria Latex in my GP4ks in my CLX32 carbon clinchers no problems. Especially with modern carbon rims, the beds are so nice and smooth, if anything we should be having fewer issues. Waiting for FWB to get Vredestein tubes back in stock.

Delorre

by Delorre

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:57 pm
I recall someone here posted a question. He took a good latex tube out of a tire and found the tube has stretched such that it was bigger in circumference than the tire. I have a feeling that the great properties of latex is also a disadvantage when it comes to durability. It appears that because latex is so stretchy, any part of the tube that is slightly thinner than the rest will stretch tremendously, and eventually something bad will happen to the stretched part when the stress exceeds the tensile strength of the latex. If you take a new latex tube and pump it up outside of the tire, you will see a balloon form somewhere on the tube. That balloon part is the part that is thinner than the rest.
That someone is me :D It really is the only real downside to (thin) latex. Other than that, no issues with the vredesteins. As I run discs now, I don't have to worry about heat anymore. I've only had 2 flats with latex in like 20.000km, and twice, it was a small hole/ defect in the innertube, but at first sight, not from a debris of the tyre itself. More like damage due to a hard hit of a puthole or stone. But, latex is indeed very easy to patch with pieces of an old latex innertube.

Marin

by Marin

The single most important is to triple-check that the tube isn't pinched under the bead before inflating.

In my opinion, this is the reason for the "high temperature" latex blowouts - during a descent, the bead wears the pinched tube thin until it tears. You will see the typical off-center long tears in the tube.

Here's what to look for. I'm pulling the mounted, uninflated tire sideways to expose the rim wall. In the pic, you can see a bit of latex tube poking out from under the bead.

If I had inflated it, the tube would have held air, but would have failed suddenly after some time, most probably when the bead was stressed by cornering. If you carefully check around the tire that the tube is not pinched before you pump it up, you won't have a problem:

duende

by duende

Used Latex for years, and yes they do ride and feel nicer. However I’m in the camp that had to switch to butyl when I went with Carbon rims. The heat damage was too significant. The latex tubes were literally melting and bonding to my tires. But then again I live in a very hilly region. To each his own, but for me they were no longer a safe option.

Marin

by Marin

I live in the Alps and have found no issues. I'm 75-80kg.

nickf

by nickf

Been using bontrager latex tubes just because my LBS stocks them. I think they are Vittoria? They are great and no issues with carbon. Use some talcum powder on tire and tube before installing.

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

I think latex tube has obvious pros and cons.
It has lower rolling resistance rather than butyl tubes, but air too much air leakage occurs.
'uncomfortable maintanance' vs 'slight performance increase'
Almost people choose first option that i thought.

LouisN

by LouisN

Thanks for all your comments guys :beerchug: !!

Will definitely give them a try again, with better knowledge this time.

Louis :)

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I have been using latex for 3 years. With mixed performance.

I have some Campagnolo Bullet wheels, and they used to chew latex inner tubes, plenty of talc and very carefully mounted the proper way. Mainly due to heat in the summer when parked up and several blowouts but that could of been luck and he small stones/flint around here.

With my 404FC wheels, I have had no blowouts, only punctures from small flint going through the sidewall of the tyres and then causing a flat instantly, thin sidewall tyres, Competion Pro 4 times.

I still use them now, and trust the inner latex tube itself.

Luke

boots2000

by boots2000

Assuming that you tape the CLX32 instead of using their rim plugs?
I have mine set up tubeless for now with the Roval rim plugs. I can't help but think that the rim plugs would be too coarse for latex tubes?

russianbear wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:38 am
I run Vittoria Latex in my GP4ks in my CLX32 carbon clinchers no problems. Especially with modern carbon rims, the beds are so nice and smooth, if anything we should be having fewer issues. Waiting for FWB to get Vredestein tubes back in stock.

russianbear

by russianbear

Nope, I have the tubeless plugs installed with latex tubes (plugs are lighter) and haven't had any issues.

LouisN

by LouisN

HOw about standard Veloplugs ? Anything special to do with those ? I have about 4 wheelsets ( all of them :) ) with them installed.

Louis :)