Cooler weather clothing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

TonyM wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 pm
Assos usually never go on sale indeed. If you use the clothes a lot or if you intend to use then for a long time the pricing is ok over the years of use.

Look at the bib insert vs Rapha/ Castelli etc.... and you will understand.

One disadvantage of Assos is to understand their range in terms of fit, Equipe vs. Cento vs. Mille etc... not very easy. So the best is to test these on you and then decide which model/ fit is the best for you.

I personally have different fit depending on the type of ride that I do. For example for the bibs I use the Cento for long rides over 5 hours, the Equipe for regular rides and the Tiburu for the winter.
Went to have a try, on paper, I'm suppose to be Medium and I ended up needing Small in Mille and Equipe bib shorts. She even suggested I go XS in the Mille!
Forgot the try their jacket/jerseys though....

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

Uniqlo Heattech base layers are incredible and are dirt cheap, I wear their heavy turtleneck under a Sportful WS Jacket and I am warm to around around -2 C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Boshk wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:15 am
TonyM wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 pm
Assos usually never go on sale indeed. If you use the clothes a lot or if you intend to use then for a long time the pricing is ok over the years of use.

Look at the bib insert vs Rapha/ Castelli etc.... and you will understand.

One disadvantage of Assos is to understand their range in terms of fit, Equipe vs. Cento vs. Mille etc... not very easy. So the best is to test these on you and then decide which model/ fit is the best for you.

I personally have different fit depending on the type of ride that I do. For example for the bibs I use the Cento for long rides over 5 hours, the Equipe for regular rides and the Tiburu for the winter.
Went to have a try, on paper, I'm suppose to be Medium and I ended up needing Small in Mille and Equipe bib shorts. She even suggested I go XS in the Mille!
Forgot the try their jacket/jerseys though....
Yes it is better to try the size!

On paper I am also Medium but with Assos I need Small. Castelli Rosso Corsa in Medium is ok for me. With Rapha I need something between Small and Medium.

Vermu

by Vermu

When I commuted around the year the clothing was all about layering.
You need to have windstopper then baselayer and adding second layer if temperature is too low.
It's more or less annoying since breathability suffers when adding clothing.

Keeping torso and legs warm wasn't ever issue for me (from 0° to -20°). Just need to have winter specific shoes and gloves (all hail lobsters).

Just keep everything size bigger so you can actually fit additional layers (or socks). And even if you didn't have to add a second or third layer,
you really need to have some air in between those layers to keep you warm. That really snug fit works from 10° -> but when dropping below that
you really shouldn't be wearing really skintight stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

p.s on garment side castelli is really meh to below 10°c.
Pearl izumi and gore were in my experience those that made cloths for cold weather riding.

Antoine

by Antoine

https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/
Sometimes you can fing Assos on sale, especially when there is a new collection.

Neoides

by Neoides

To throw in my two cents, I've done weeks of 500-600 km in -5C. To survive this, I found the easiest is to double up: Double tights, double gloves, double shoe covers.

Apart from that some other key kit:
warm baselayer (dry-yarn seemless is amazing btw, or windstoper from craft)
thin neoprene gloves as a "hand base layer"
velotoze
vaseline for any skin that sees the light of day
Big ole well fitting sunglasses (clear lenses need-be)
Bibs without chamois for layering. Roubaix fabric ones are just great and usually cheap.
always a wind blocking gillet on top

Other tips.
Always shoe covers under bib tights. If you get wet, the water beads outs side the shoe cover and not into the shoe.
Embrocation creams for knees & ankles. If you know it'll be a bit wet: vaseline your shins on top of the cream.
current stable:
NS Bikes RAG+ (9.9 kilos without mud stuck on)
Cinelli XCR ( 7.5 kilos)
Cinelli vigorelli (6.8 kilos with ballasts under the saddle)
Canyon Speedmax v1 (8.5 kilos)
---
Awaiting reincarnation: Ridley Helium SLX ex-lotto soudal

oeympe

by oeympe

I am looking for a jacket which could suit temperature between 5°-10°C, windproof, waterproof and close-to-body fit to suit for racing... In other words, does anyone have a recommandation for a cheaper alternative to the well-known Castelli Alpha ROS, please?

I have already look on Endura's Pro SL range, but it is a bit confuse to make a choice :
https://www.endurasport.com/mens/c/mJac ... B14&text=#
And I am not sure that this Morvelo would be enough warm :
https://www.morvelo.com/collections/men ... ell-jacket
Last edited by oeympe on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

betacyclist

by betacyclist

I'm also looking to build my winter kit. Have found the DHB very well priced, but I don't know how durable are or their fit. Has anyone recent experience on their fit?
Interested in Aeron Softshell and Bib titghts. Mainly.

Also don't know if those can be waterproof treated with some sprays I've seen online.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on how warm I get when training and sweating. I've reached in conclusion to that kind of clothes for temps 1-12oC

A winter skull cap
A buff (merino?)
Longsleeve Base Layer
Long Jersey fleece, softshell
Bibtights with fleece
Long socks
Gloves (dhb windproof softshell hope are kinda of water resistant)
?? Don't know about overshoes ??

ANY THOUGHTS?

naylor343

by naylor343

Castelli San remo thermo suit is the single best piece of cycle clothing I have ever purchased. It's now on its 6th winter and still going strong.

benzebub

by benzebub

looking for some advice on a jacket for 5° C:

I'm looking at the Assos mille GT winter jacket and Castelli elemento light (can't seem to find any reviews). Ideal would be to just use the jacket with a good baselayer.
I will be using it to do long base miles so no interval work
But I could be wrong

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

benzebub wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:25 am

I'm looking at the Assos mille GT winter jacket and Castelli elemento light (can't seem to find any reviews). Ideal would be to just use the jacket with a good baselayer.
5C and dry? Something like Castelli Alpha ROS or Sportful BodyFit Pro would be good choices IMO.

chupster98

by chupster98

My jacket recommendations for Canadian winter riding are both from Galibier.cc
I've had both options below for a couple of years & they work great.
The best price point around & quality that matches all the big brand names - IMHO

8 to 3 deg:
https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-fou ... er-jacket/

3 to -5 deg: I only wear this one on nasty windy weather.
https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-pro-jacket/

Jersey Layers: Craft tank base layer & Endura BAaBAAmerino long sleeve jersey

Shoes & Pedals: Shimano SH-MW7 MTB shoes (1/2 size bigger than my regular summer shoe size) & CrankBros. Candy 1 pedals ( w. plastic body)

Socks : thin merino socks (any brand ). As mentioned by others, you need extra room to move your toes.
2020 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2014 Santa Cruz 5010 CC

jfranci3

by jfranci3

5c? Castelli or other windstopper jersey/jacket non-insulated (perfetto, Transition, transpante) and a thermal base layer. Buy something with ventulation zippers. A neck tube is nice too. You'll be cold for 3-4min, then warm.

d36

by d36

betacyclist wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:54 pm
I'm also looking to build my winter kit. Have found the DHB very well priced, but I don't know how durable are or their fit. Has anyone recent experience on their fit?
Interested in Aeron Softshell and Bib titghts. Mainly.

Also don't know if those can be waterproof treated with some sprays I've seen online.

Based on how warm I get when training and sweating. I've reached in conclusion to that kind of clothes for temps 1-12oC

A winter skull cap
A buff (merino?)
Longsleeve Base Layer
Long Jersey fleece, softshell
Bibtights with fleece
Long socks
Gloves (dhb windproof softshell hope are kinda of water resistant)
?? Don't know about overshoes ??

ANY THOUGHTS?
I have the softshell
Its pretty well made but not my favourite jacket (its a not as good version of the perfetto imo)
Fit id say is Relaxed so XS = Euro/Race S

To original post I am toasty in my perfetto with no baselayer @ around 5 degrees :P
Feet/Hands/Head just need to be covered

For really cold I have a northwave extreme h20
This is my favourite so far (really good for wet)

oeympe

by oeympe

benzebub wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:25 am

You can't go wrong with the Endura Pro SL Thermal Windproof jacket (-5° to +12°C) , plus it isn't expensive as Castelli or Assos jacket :
https://www.endurasport.com/Pro-SL-Ther ... I/p/bE9122

Here is a review of the jacket :
https://road.cc/content/review/253108-e ... ndproof-ii

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com