Hugi DT240 freehub body pulls right off?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

everywhere i read, people say to remove the cassette and pull off the freehub body by hand.
or use the cassette for leverage.
i've been working on this thing for the past 1/2 hour and cant get it to budge.
any suggestions?
this hub is from mid 2000s

i've tried inserting a skewer from the NDS and catching an interior lip in the end cap and hammering it out

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Catagory6

by Catagory6

persistance beats resistance

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Take the NDS cap off, its much easier. Then put an 8mm allen key through the axle and them use a hammer to get the DS end cap out. Or at least thats what I do...

Catagory6

by Catagory6

dudemanppl wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:50 am
Take the NDS cap off, its much easier. Then put an 8mm allen key through the axle and them use a hammer to get the DS end cap out. Or at least thats what I do...
hammering the skewer from the NDS worked to pop the DS end cap off. and then the freehub body just popped out.
then the spacer between the star ratchets and the axle... holy cow. that was a father mocker to remove. maybe i should have gone over the axle with some 600 grit so the spacer could go on a little easer.

oh boy, the NDS end cap was the bitch of the bunch to remove. once i had the DS all disassembled, i had to hammer the axle to get the NDS out.

not sure if this hub was ever serviced since i bought it in the mid 2000

ms6073

by ms6073

I opted to spend the money on the Park AV-5 hub vise which when mounted in a bench vise, makes end-cap removal a non-event and elminiates the need to bang on expensive or in the OP's case, rare hubs. Also, while probably not a consideration for that generation of hub, when using 12mm or 15mm thru-axle end caps, hammering them out is no longer an option.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Catagory6

by Catagory6

any kind of special grease to re-pack the sealed bearings? i got a tube of ProGold EPX grease, which would seem like a better choice than the much more viscous than the White Lightning Crystal grease

Catagory6

by Catagory6

when your local shop mechanic tells you "... sealed bearings aren't meant to be serviced. they're meant to be replaced... "

:doh:

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Catagory6 wrote:when your local shop mechanic tells you "... sealed bearings aren't meant to be serviced. they're meant to be replaced... "

:doh:
Yeah. I'm at 30,000 miles on the original hubshell bearings on one set of MTB 240s. How? Pull the seals, regrease every 6 months.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kavitator

by kavitator

If bearing is rough it has almost 100% damaged inner races - if you clean and put grease in it i dont think it will go for long time

LeDuke

by LeDuke

kavitator wrote:If bearing is rough it has almost 100% damaged inner races - if you clean and put grease in it i dont think it will go for long time
I think the point is that you can prevent damage in the first place with preventative maintenance.

jlok

by jlok

Preventative maint by re-grease sounds good. What is your best tool to pick out the cartridge bearing seal?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I've used a razor blade and a very sharp dental pick.

Basically, anything to get under the seal without damaging it.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

LeDuke wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:37 am
I've used a razor blade and a very sharp dental pick.

Basically, anything to get under the seal without damaging it.

box cutter, and work it from the inner race. i've found it pries out much easier than trying to get it from the outer race.
and if you bend the seal, you can flatten it out between 2 flat surfaces, and a lot of pressure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com