Colnago Arabesque

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

Looking at pulling the trigger on this steel frame from colnago,its been on ebay for about a year what do you think it should be built
up with?Will it take modern kit?I was thinking record or super record or even chorus.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colnago-Arab ... Ciid%253A1
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

joejack951

by joejack951

It has a 1" threadless steerer per the auction so you'll either need to source a 1" threadless stem (not so easy) and with a 31.8mm bar clamp (even less easy) or use a standard 1 1/8" stem with an adapter sleeve. No harm in that but on a frame like thus Colnago, I personally wouldn't be a fan of that setup.

Of bigger concern is the dropout spacing which isn't noted but as the frame is supposedly all '80s spec, that would put it at 126mm. Modern hubs are 130mm meaning you'll either need to pull the stays apart by hand to fit a modern hub or cold set the frame. A third option is respacing a modern hub to 128mm which let it install a little easier at the expense of some tension balance (not really advised with already compromised 11 speed wheels).

Modern shifters are easy to use by installing downtube cable stops on the bosses on the downtube that would other be used for downtube shifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caballero

by caballero

joejack951 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:13 pm
It has a 1" threadless steerer per the auction so you'll either need to source a 1" threadless stem (not so easy) and with a 31.8mm bar clamp (even less easy) or use a standard 1 1/8" stem with an adapter sleeve. No harm in that but on a frame like thus Colnago, I personally wouldn't be a fan of that setup.

Of bigger concern is the dropout spacing which isn't noted but as the frame is supposedly all '80s spec, that would put it at 126mm. Modern hubs are 130mm meaning you'll either need to pull the stays apart by hand to fit a modern hub or cold set the frame. A third option is respacing a modern hub to 128mm which let it install a little easier at the expense of some tension balance (not really advised with already compromised 11 speed wheels).

Modern shifters are easy to use by installing downtube cable stops on the bosses on the downtube that would other be used for downtube shifters.
Spacing is 130mm. It’s made from an old lug/tubeset from the 80’s but built in 2016/17.

Deda superleggero painted to match looks great !

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It's a lovely bike

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

I love those frames. Theres one other I have seen as of late for sale for awhile. Although this one is NOS and the seller claims never ridden.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bop/d/ ... 30609.html

AJS914

by AJS914

markyboy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:57 pm
Looking at pulling the trigger on this steel frame from colnago,its been on ebay for about a year what do you think it should be built
up with?Will it take modern kit?I was thinking record or super record or even chorus.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colnago-Arab ... Ciid%253A1

it will take modern Record/Chorus. No problem. You could also go silver Potenza for the old school look. I'd go Chorus. The black carbon would look great with that powder blue paint.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I’m also voting for potenza silver, but I would upgrade to a chorus cassette. The SR group would also look good.
The tricky part is the post. With potenza, I would find an a Campy C-Record. With SR, I would try to find a carbon Record or an unbranded carbon post.

naylor343

by naylor343

This frame is just stunning. It would look good with any campag group, 1980's Super Record or any of today's carbon groupsets. But to the OP, you have alerted the cycling world to its existence and availablity, spend your time deciding on groupset later just get it bought and paid for, or what goes on it may not be your concern! Looking forward to seeing it built up.

c60rider

by c60rider

I think this bike would be fabulous whatever combination of kit you put on it but either go totally modern and carbon fibre super record or personally with a frame with a load of chrome plating it cries out for silver alloy components. Which is what I did with my steel repair/rebuild viewtopic.php?f=10&t=148462 I really don't like the pontenza group with its mix of black and silver and I still can't get used to the 4 arm cranks so if you went the silver route source some Athena 11 speed which is what I did though I combined it with the old parts I reused. The weight of the bike isn't the issue here or else you wouldn't be buying a steel frame in the first place so the decision is whether you like carbon bits or silver bits.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

I think that particular one would be too big for you. It's a 53 in old money and looking at your current / recent builds, it'd be way too large.

markyboy

by markyboy

lone wheeler wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:35 pm
I think that particular one would be too big for you. It's a 53 in old money and looking at your current / recent builds, it'd be way too large.
Yes you are right,i contacted the seller today to discuss and its to big. :(
Anyway what i have done is put an order in for a master x light in pr82
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

10 speed alloy chorus from 2001? :) with a centaur 2007 chainset (ultratorque, silver, with cold forged rings..)