Which Skewers for Chris King R45 Hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gceniza

by gceniza

I have two sets of these exact hubs (one set built with HED Belgium rims and one set with Enve 4.5s). I have no issues with with internal or external cam skewers and no issues with Ti vs steel skewers ... and I own a variety from cheap BHS skewers, Hope skeweres, Enve skewers,and Dura Ace skewers. And Dura Ace skewers fit right out of the box with zero issues whatsoever. To me the Enve Ti skewers are a really good balance of weight and strength. But, I have not experienced any skewer that functions as well and has a cam as smooth as the Dura Ace skewers. The Dura Ace skewers are definitely a notch above the cheaper Shimano skewers in terms of aesthetic quality and effortless cam operation.

jrccomponents
in the industry

by jrccomponents

Chris3g wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Unfortunately the 3 don’t have the brass cup insert that the 4 has, and it weighs more. Incidentally I just got in a set of JRC skewers which use both a brass cup insert and a knurled clamping surface. So far so good, they pass the slip test for me.
Glad you're happy with the purchase Chris. Using a brass cup insert was something we were adamant had to be used. I don't understand the logic behind a plastic cup besides that it compresses a bit more, it wears far too quickly. Thanks for the feedback, Josh

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com