Which Skewers for Chris King R45 Hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dim

by dim

I have a wheelset .... HED Belgium Plus rims with Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearing upgrade), and Sapim Cx Ray spokes

The current skewers that I am using are no name brand and I am looking for decent skewers. From what I have read, Chris King don't recomend a specific skewer, but do say that with these hubs, one must not use titanium or carbon skewers.

I'm looking at the Dura Ace skewers but I've read that some guys say they don't fit properly? .... I'm not too concerned about the cost/weight/a few grams ....

so can anyone suggest decent skewers?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Broady

by Broady

If weight isn't a problem you won't get better than Dura Ace. I run them with disc R45 Kings with no problem for reference.

RyanH

by RyanH

I think the problem with CK hubs and any others with a smooth drop out interface is that you'll almost definitely get creaking with a light skewer. On hubs like that, I use non label Shimano skewers. They're the same weight as dura ace but they come in black so they look better IMO. Mavic skewers also generate a lot of clamping force and are about 20g lighter.

DJT21

by DJT21

Dura Ace skewers are much like King hubs; bling and expensive for the sake of it.

As above, the cheaper Shimano skewers work just as well.

The following all make decent internal cam skewers:
Campagnolo/Fulcrum do a nice set in black
Velocity also in black
Specialized/Roval Ti skewers
Hunt
Mavic

I always go for the ten quid Shimano skewers so I can clamp them in the trainer and not worry.

by 11.4

You're putting a lot of stress on a skewer. Like a stem, it's not a place to cheat. Both Dura Ace and Campy skewers are very good and utterly reliable. Above all I'd recommend the Dura Ace. They are steel shafted, not titanium or aluminum, but it means they won't break or otherwise loosen on you.

The point about fit is a minor one: The clearance through the hex holes in the ends of Chris King hubs is tight for skewers and just a slight forging line is all it takes for them not to go through. But the shafts on Dura Ace are not coated or plated, so just take some 400-600 grit carbide paper and lightly smooth the surface and they go right in. Don't round out the hex holes because then you won't be able to service the wheels, obviously. This is not a re-sizing of the axle, just a deburring of it slightly. That's all it takes, if it needs anything at all.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I weigh 60kg but I still find I need a heavy duty skewer to properly transfer my meager power output. I started out with some very light (39g.) Extralite Aliens 4 skewers. They were junk. The Ti rod is butted and it measures only 3.8mm in diameter. Then I went to the Campy skewers at 119g. They are great but too heavy. After some research I found a very good compromise- the Mavic Ti skewers at 87g. The Mavic has an unbutted Ti rod with a diameter of 4.7mm. The clamping force of the Mavic is the same as the Campy, and I saved 32g. over the Campy. And I really like the clamping action of the Mavics...you get a positive lock with a 'click'.

A good set of skewers will stiffen up the rear end of the bike and provides superior power transfer. I cringe whenever I see people offering advice to others to buy lightweight Ti/carbon skewers as the first thing to save weight.

dim

by dim

here's an interesting video showing how to test your skewers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZvZefu-6Mg
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Chris3g

by Chris3g

The Zipp Tangente Ti are another good “compromise” skewer weighing in at 70g. They also have a full size Ti rod and clamp well. The aliens4 have a smooth clamping surface which is probably part of the reason they are prone to slip as shown in the video.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

dim wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:45 pm
here's an interesting video showing how to test your skewers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZvZefu-6Mg
Yup. This video was posted in another thread. My Extralite Aliens 4 skewers had the same problem. The funny thing is I don't even sprint and I only climb seated. After a ride my front wheel will be off-center. So even the small forces encountered on a ride caused my front wheel to be knocked off-center. I have tightened down the skewer as tightly as possible without damaging the skewer.

RyanH

by RyanH

I checked my KCNC front skewer according to the video and while I wasn't able to get it to slip noticeably, I was able to get it to creak. I tried again with my Control Tech Ti Bolt on Skewers (they're 4.9mm thick vs 4.4mm for KCNC) and wasn't able to get them to budge. They're around 45g but you use quick release (TBH, not that big of a deal as I always have a multitool on hand and it takes a whopping 10s longer).

InoxEPS

by InoxEPS

dim wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:04 am
I have a wheelset .... HED Belgium Plus rims with Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearing upgrade), and Sapim Cx Ray spokes

The current skewers that I am using are no name brand and I am looking for decent skewers. From what I have read, Chris King don't recomend a specific skewer, but do say that with these hubs, one must not use titanium or carbon skewers.

I'm looking at the Dura Ace skewers but I've read that some guys say they don't fit properly? .... I'm not too concerned about the cost/weight/a few grams ....

so can anyone suggest decent skewers?
CK hubs must use a Internal Cam Skewer.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I did this "test" with my J&L bolt on skewers and got no noise or noticeable deflection relative to the brake pads :thumbup:

jih

by jih

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:13 pm
I weigh 60kg but I still find I need a heavy duty skewer to properly transfer my meager power output.
I'm quite curious about this - can you explain what problem you were having with lighter skewers?
pdlpsher1 wrote:
I started out with some very light (39g.) Extralite Aliens 4 skewers. They were junk. The Ti rod is butted and it measures only 3.8mm in diameter.
Junk how? How did they go wrong?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

jih wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:54 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
I weigh 60kg but I still find I need a heavy duty skewer to properly transfer my meager power output.
I'm quite curious about this - can you explain what problem you were having with lighter skewers?
pdlpsher1 wrote:
I started out with some very light (39g.) Extralite Aliens 4 skewers. They were junk. The Ti rod is butted and it measures only 3.8mm in diameter.
Junk how? How did they go wrong?
Before I leave on a ride I made sure the front skewer is tight and the front wheel is perfectly centered between the brake pads. After a 40 mile ride the front wheel is no longer centered between the brake pads. I didn't sprint nor did I tug on the handlebar. I switched out the light skewer with a heavy Campy version (steel shaft, external cam) and the problem went away. So I attributed the problem to the skewers. I still have the Extralite Aliens 4 skewers. If you have any ideas on my problem please let me know. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chris3g

by Chris3g

A lot of people have posted about aliens 4 and slipping. Just my opinion but I feel like a big part of the problem is that they utilize a smooth clamping surface, unlike the aliens 3 which have a knurled surface.

Unfortunately the 3 don’t have the brass cup insert that the 4 has, and it weighs more. Incidentally I just got in a set of JRC skewers which use both a brass cup insert and a knurled clamping surface. So far so good, they pass the slip test for me.