Single carbon ring advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Just some advice , I learned the hard way and broke a carbon chainring. If your spider is carbon then you need spacers at the rear so the bolts will not damage the spider. For the vuma quad I made some spacers using the small chainring that was on there . For the clavicula when I put that on I will use some carbon spacers that Fibre Lyte make. I was lucky not to crash so make sure you use a spacer on a carbon spider. If it’s alloy spider you can use a single bolt just fine.

jih

by jih

Wouldn’t this be the same no matter what the ring material is so long as the spider is carbon?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Bad luck mate. I've seen that advice before for running single speed (might've been on Fibre Lyte's website). Any idea of the problem? Assume a light weight carbon spider doesn't like being clamped against directly by the female part of the bolt. Hopefully you can get it repaired...

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

jih wrote: Wouldn’t this be the same no matter what the ring material is so long as the spider is carbon?
Yep that’s correct . I’m currently running a single ring sisl2 on my guru with no issues. The sisl2 is alloy.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

4ibanez wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:46 pm
Bad luck mate. I've seen that advice before for running single speed (might've been on Fibre Lyte's website). Any idea of the problem? Assume a light weight carbon spider doesn't like being clamped against directly by the female part of the bolt. Hopefully you can get it repaired...
“Any idea of the problem “ I was the problem, I messed up big time. I got it wrong. Stephen at Fibre Lyte explained it to me . I was the first person to snap one of those rings in half. It also broke one of my sram red carbon front mechs that I tuned, I had yet taken off. At least I didn’t crash it could have been worse. It’s so easy to do .the crank bit the dust. Luckily I had another one. I already had the clavicula as well . I would have bought the m3 if I had known because it has a alloy spider. I have not yet finished putting the trek together so can’t test the vuma until it’s buit up , I’ve got the parts it’s just I’m a slow builder :lol. Hope the advice helps . With the wi fli and bigger cassettes I think a lot more riders will go single chain ring in the future. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Short 1x chainring bolts are the devil. I now always use normal, long, steel or Ti chainring bolts with washers, the short ones have too little thread overlap and aluminum bolts need thread lock and will either still come loose or will need a heat gun to undo like the OEM SRAM ones.