I'm trying to install my Cannondale Quarq onto a Kona Jake the Snake BB30 frame but am having some issues. I'm following the Hollowgram SL installation instructions but once I tighten down the ds bolt the cranks don't spin smoothly (there is resistance). Here's how I have it set-up...Circlip-Bearing-Bearing Shield on the NDS, then I have the Circlip, Bearing, Bearing shield, spacers (up to 5), wave washer, crank.
I've tried all combinations of spacers (1, 2, 3,4, 5 but get nothing. What am I missing?
Try approaching the final number of spacers from "too few" rather than from "too many".
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo
1. Get the 109mm newer SISL2 spindle and use that with the standard bearing shields/spacers/etc to get it to work
2. Get the SRM specific spindle and bearing shield and use that.
Is that a correct assumption?
Thanks for the response. It seems like it’s the chassis itself that’s causing the binding. Here’s another strange thing too. Often times when removing the DS crank it just pops off with the bolt as if it wasn’t pushed on enough to the spindle. Also, the spindle, is much, much smoother in the two plastic shields that come with the B.B. rather than the cannondale ones. It’s as if there is vertical movement with the standard shields
Again, this is a PF30 SRAM BB...you think a 104mm spindle will still work?
On a Quarq Red, I wound up having to put two clear shims each side.
The SRAM bearing shields are slightly inset vs the aluminum BB bearing cups.
So the Red preload adjuster was brushing the bearing cup outer edge.
I realize the Hollowgrams are probably different, but look for contact at spots that you wouldn't think would touch.
It's definitely trial and error to find the right mix of shims and spacers.
I ran up to the local dealer and they just happened to have a 109 SISL2 spindle laying around. I threw that on, and per cannondale instrucitons, used the SRAM bearing shields that came with the BB. The spindle made a huge difference, so I threw a bunch of washers and spacers in there (that equaled the spacer thickness in the picture) and that made huge difference. There was minimal lateral movement and some gaps that would definitely be filled by the necessary spacers. As such I ordered the spacer/washer kit that has the various SISL2 components and can see that this very well might have solved my issue. I should get them this week and will post Back with the final outcome.
Many thanks to those that offered a response!
- Similar Topics
- Last post
- 16 Replies
- 2189 Views
Last post by ti473
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:34 pm
- 8 Replies
- 1186 Views
Last post by WEG65
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:10 am
- 5 Replies
- 577 Views
Last post by savechief
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 am
- 4 Replies
- 1065 Views
Last post by audiophilitis
Tue May 23, 2017 2:00 am
- 29 Replies
- 2488 Views
Last post by joeyb1000
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:08 pm