Need weight advice from Supersix Evo pros - Is something wrong?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Hey guys,

I just built my new 2018 Supersix evo Dura-ace (non-high mod). Without pedals and cages, it weighs almost 7.15 kg. A LBS weighed the same model at 6.8kg out of the box. The exact same bike with Hi-Mod carbon weighs about 6.55 kg. I was expecting something closer to 6.88kg for mine since there's around 300g difference between the two frames. What's going on here? I went through the whole part list and the only different part is the head-tube extender which is 35g lighter and the Arione saddle which is 5g heavier. The next obvious step would be to weigh the frame/fork alone but I don't have access to my workshop right now. Not gonna lie, Iam a bit disapointed. Any input would be much appreciated!

My bike: http://www.cannondale.com/en/Canada/Bik ... =undefined

Hi-Mod version: http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/P ... =undefined

My build list:

ImageSSe-Out-of-the-Box by Alex Godbout-Simard, on Flickr

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

40g sounds pretty light for steel cables. 50g for housing could well be underestimated too. Also don't trust claimed weights at all. Saying that, 30g sounds an awful lot for bearing cover and spacer/s. That probably doesn't help much! If you really want to know, I'd suggest you take those estimated parts off and get em on the scale.

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

4ibanez wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:58 pm
40g sounds pretty light for steel cables. 50g for housing could well be underestimated too. Also don't trust claimed weights at all. Saying that, 30g sounds an awful lot for bearing cover and spacer/s. That probably doesn't help much! If you really want to know, I'd suggest you take those estimated parts off and get em on the scale.
Thanks for the input. The weights I stated came from people on the forum and not claimed weight by the manufacturer. It's true that the LBS could have lied about the weight a little bit though. I'll try to take everything a part soon but I will have to wait after the holidays.

Cheers!

hannawald

by hannawald

If you want to go lighter, you can put there some lighter/latex tubes..it is a cheap upgrade and you can save a lot. Find some lighter quick releases and you are almost there..
check the tyres, you can do it easily and they are very often over the claimed weight. My Schwalbe Pro Ones were both 20g over the claimed weight, so it was 40g above expectations..

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

hannawald wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:35 pm
If you want to go lighter, you can put there some lighter/latex tubes..it is a cheap upgrade and you can save a lot. Find some lighter quick releases and you are almost there..
check the tyres, you can do it easily and they are very often over the claimed weight. My Schwalbe Pro Ones were both 20g over the claimed weight, so it was 40g above expectations..
I have many upgrades already in the works but the topic is more about the ''high'' starting point of 7.15 kg. My goal is 6.5 kg with pedals. 80% of the items on the list were put on the scale.

RimClencher

by RimClencher

Have you factored in the weight of expectation?

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

RimClencher wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:20 pm
Have you factored in the weight of expectation?
Have you concidered not being an a** on Christmas day?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I built up a standard 58cm SS in 2011 that's at 15 lb with pedals.

You have a long list of things that could be lighter so it's hard to know where to start.

tires should be 225 ea max
tubes 75 ea.
what are "grips" at 100 g? Not bar tape shurley?
then there's the whole cockpit, the post and saddle

I'm off for dinner now but if I find my list I'll post it
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

bikerjulio wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:09 am
I built up a standard 58cm SS in 2011 that's at 15 lb with pedals.

You have a long list of things that could be lighter so it's hard to know where to start.

tires should be 225 ea max
tubes 75 ea.
what are "grips" at 100 g? Not bar tape shurley?
then there's the whole cockpit, the post and saddle

I'm off for dinner now but if I find my list I'll post it
Thanks! I’d like to take a look for sure. 100g is indeed for bar tape. It was 50g per side on my scale. It’s the one that came with the bike. It’s crazy heavy but the same for every evo.

hannawald

by hannawald

ok, i thought you were calculating the weight of frame and fork subtracting the weight of components from the total weight. And from my experience i can rely on shimano component weight but with tyres there may be bigger excess of weight..
it would be interesting to see your progress, though I am not sure you can get that low with this frameset, clinchers and normal components (not going with exotic parts). But 6,8 kgs should be quite easy..

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Sorry. Just to clarify. Did you weigh your bike or are you going strictly off your spreadsheet?

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

hannawald wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:33 am
ok, i thought you were calculating the weight of frame and fork subtracting the weight of components from the total weight. And from my experience i can rely on shimano component weight but with tyres there may be bigger excess of weight..
it would be interesting to see your progress, though I am not sure you can get that low with this frameset, clinchers and normal components (not going with exotic parts). But 6,8 kgs should be quite easy..
Every component were either weigh by me or by other folks on the forum. The only thing I did not weigh is the frame and the fork. The tires were at 264g on the scale. I forgot to class them as verified. 6.8 kg shouldn’t be too hard to reach as you say, but going to 6.6 will be more expensive. Iam at 7.4 with pedals.
Last edited by alexgodmar on Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Hapsmo911 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:45 am
Sorry. Just to clarify. Did you weigh your bike or are you going strictly off your spreadsheet?

I did weigh the bike with my park tool bike scale. Like prety much every component on my list. Only the weight of the frame/fork/cables were estimated.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Here's my SS from 2011. Admittedly with some WW bits, but also includes pedals and standard alloy wheels. 10-speed.

Some of those weights of yours like tape are insanely heavy. There's 3/4 of a pound over in your wheels tires tubes and skewers. OTOH you have 90 g for a cableset? Don't think so.

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

- SRAM Force brake calipers (or even Rival) below 290 grams.
- 23mm Tyres with latex tubes (eg.: Tufo Calibra Light...)
- Some generic chinese bartape (35 grams with end plugs. Costs 1.5-2 USD from ali..)
- Kalloy UNO stem, should come in below 100 grams with titanium screws.

these are the low-cost savings. Later you can opt for a ligther chainset-bb combination, and even seatpost-saddle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com