Need weight advice from Supersix Evo pros - Is something wrong?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

It seems like if weight is important enough that you are swapping parts and trying to get under 7kg than 300g extra for the cheaper frameset is a big hit. How much money does that save and would it be a better value to start with the lighter frame? I 've always gotten the lighter version of a frame when the choice presents itself cuz I figure that even for builds on a budget I'll get the urge in the future to start spending money swapping stuff out to drop weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Thanks for everything guys. Really appreciated! My new goal would be 6.8kg with pedals for now instead of 6.5 kg. I think its more reasonable. Durace cassette would same me 100g but its almost $300 Canadian. I already ordered ti quick releases, carbon handle bar and conti race tubes. Tape is next for sure. My starting point is at 7.4kg with pedals. I guess I was expecting something closer to 7.1.

Cheers!

liam7020

by liam7020

Cable and housing defo off.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:39 am
It seems like if weight is important enough that you are swapping parts and trying to get under 7kg than 300g extra for the cheaper frameset is a big hit. How much money does that save and would it be a better value to start with the lighter frame? I 've always gotten the lighter version of a frame when the choice presents itself cuz I figure that even for builds on a budget I'll get the urge in the future to start spending money swapping stuff out to drop weight.

In Canada, the only Hi-Mod rim brake SuperSix evo is $4000 more than mine. So starting with the Hi-Mod model just wasn't an option. Also, I had a killer price on it, so I have some money left for upgrades. Like I said, I was just surprised by the weight of the bike in dura-ace with carbon wheels. A TCR in ultegra weighs the same for a fraction of the price.

Imagetcr by Alex Godbout-Simard, on Flickr

Mine with pedals so remove 271g (total 7.1 kg)

ImageIMG_9230 by Alex Godbout-Simard, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9231 by Alex Godbout-Simard, on Flickr

hannawald

by hannawald

if I were you, my goal would be 6,8 kgs with bottle cages and garmin mount, right on the UCI limit:) That should be achievable ..then you don´t have to regret that you don´t have Hi-mod:)

I don´t know what the secret od Cannondale bar end plugs is, but my normal and reliable plastic Syncros plugs are 3g each.
My bar tape is around 55g.
I would put there Kalloy Uno/Ritchey WCS C260 stem (get rid of graphics with paint stripper)
Michelin Power Competition 25mm tires should be around 220g and are among best in terms of rolling resistance (see bicyclerollingresistance.com pages).
Challenge Latex tubes are around 70g each
With QR it needs google search as going too light you may end up with creeking noises, but I guess you should find something around 60g and reliable..

Only these small things will save you around 360g and you are on 6,8kgs..

My pedals are around 200g (Time Xpresso 10), you can buy them cheap now, and my cages are 2x23g (chinese Arundel copy for 10 USD each)..
Saving another 250g would not be that easy..you can buy chinese time xpresso copy - Costelo - around 160g and 65USD, see a thread here on WW.
You will need to change bars for something around 200g, saddle (but if you like antares you won´t save much with carbon rails), crankset..

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Just updated my build sheet with your input. Also added the bottle cage and the Elemnt Bolt/mount combo. Thanks everyone!
Imagebuild by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/111040878@N08/]