Supersix and HED Ardennes??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I have a 2015 Supersix, and was wondering if anyone has mounted wide rims, like HED Ardennes on one yet??

Looking at my chainstays, the clearance looks a little tight, and I'm on old (~2009) Mavic cosmic SL's with Michelin 25mm tires. This is my first foray in to wide rim territory, and I can't afford to build a new bike around a new set of wheels!!

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

They upped the clearance with the newer 2016+ models. If you're already flush, it might not be wise to go wider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

That's kind of what I was thinking. Stupid Cannondale!!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sooner or later you gotta bite the bullet... I did this year too on my Parlee..Z5--->Zero Now I can run 28's if I wanted.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:43 pm
sooner or later you gotta bite the bullet... I did this year too on my Parlee..Z5--->Zero Now I can run 28's if I wanted.
I wish I could!! I'd probably go disc brakes, and the ability to run an electronic groupset. Luckily, the Supersix is still a nice bike, so I don't need to replace it just yet!!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kevhogaz wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:53 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:43 pm
I wish I could!! I'd probably go disc brakes, and the ability to run an electronic groupset. Luckily, the Supersix is still a nice bike, so I don't need to replace it just yet!!
with 4 rim brake wheel set options...I didn't want to bite that disc bike $bullet$, so I can relate in that respect.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

The first generation EVO was designed when most riders used 23C tires on traditional (narrow) rims.
ISO requires 4mm clearance when the bike is sold, which you get with 23C tires on traditional rims.

Of course, after you've bought the bike, you can install any tires you like. I've ridden with as little as 2mm clearance, but I'd consider that a limit, with a risk for rubbing.

To answer your question about HEDs, I've installed HED Jet 6 Plus wheels (21mm inside width) on my first gen EVO without problem, using 23C tires which measure closer to 26mm on these wide rims.

Based on measuring a handful of tires on different rims, I've noticed the tire gets wider (and taller) by about half the increase in rim width. So maybe this rule of thumb can help you predict what tires might work on your bike.

W2 = W1 + 1/2(R2 - R1)

or

DeltaW = 0.5 DeltaR
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo