Removal of Campagnolo Overtorque Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

Any suggestion on removing the crankset ? I do have the proper tool but am still unable to do so.

Method used includes,
Using ice on the spindle to free the NDS arm.

Lubricating the contact points.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The tool should work. A lot of force is required though not for the timid.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:22 pm
Release torque is in the region of 50 nm assuming that the axle / crank interface was greased or otherwise protected from galvanic corrosion prior to assembly - if it was fitted dry and the crank has seized on, then you may be in for a rough ride.

Possible dumb question - but have you made 110% sure that both parts of the lockring came out when you removed the lockring? There is a captive washer in the back of the lockring - I have never seen one come out but that doesn't mean that it can't. If that's left in, you won't be able to pull the crank as you'll be trying to work past a sold piece of metal ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

graeme_f_k wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:40 am
bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:22 pm
Release torque is in the region of 50 nm assuming that the axle / crank interface was greased or otherwise protected from galvanic corrosion prior to assembly - if it was fitted dry and the crank has seized on, then you may be in for a rough ride.

Possible dumb question - but have you made 110% sure that both parts of the lockring came out when you removed the lockring? There is a captive washer in the back of the lockring - I have never seen one come out but that doesn't mean that it can't. If that's left in, you won't be able to pull the crank as you'll be trying to work past a sold piece of metal ...
I removed all the spacer but it still wont budge. The NDS produce a scary creaking noisy when i turn the tool . but its still super tight probably not lubed

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

As I said dont be timid. The tool is the only tool you can use. you can see if some pentetrating fluid can get in. I doubt it though.

You will either pull the crank off, break the tool and have to cut the crank arm off, break the crank arm and have to cut it off.

Dont be timid and good luck.