The Value of Bike Reviews

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Dirt Rag wasn't too bad, but many of the dead tree bike mags have advertising departments far larger than their editorial departments.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

The best reviews climb like scalded mountain goats and corner like they are on rails.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Lewn777

by Lewn777

We live in post truth world where the dollar is king. Expect reviews to be biased to advertisers and consumers to be living in a choice-supportive bias dream-world.

I like to...
-Listen to unbiased experts where possible.
-Research as much actual data as possible.
-Demo, borrow or test ride bikes to figure out what I personally like to ride.

I'd rather have an ultrasound scanned bike that was made in China than an unscanned bike from Taiwan.

F45

by F45

RyanH wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:01 pm
Don't forget about the sub-moa 3 shot group to validate its accuracy.
Average of 3, 10 shot groups or go home Homer! :D

Aya

by Aya

I usually read reviews for fun. There are interesting bike pictures, and there might be a mention of what I did not catch. I refer to their Star Scores, but I do not blindly believe it. You might think of it as another way of advertising, but would not it be better to have more reference somewhere? :)

Sanjay

by Sanjay

Cycling Weekly are currently marketing their 'Editor's Choice' products of the year, however all the videos clearly say they have been selected 'in association' with the manufacturers. I am assuming this means it is actually paid advertising dressed up and the best products of the year which doesn't give me much confidence in the validity of their reviews.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Sanjay wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:52 pm
Cycling Weekly are currently marketing their 'Editor's Choice' products of the year, however all the videos clearly say they have been selected 'in association' with the manufacturers. I am assuming this means it is actually paid advertising dressed up and the best products of the year which doesn't give me much confidence in the validity of their reviews.

This is so deceptive. Shameful. Cycling Weekly simply sold them an ad.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

In shocking news, most publications don't buy the products retail, but rely on manufacturers to supply them for review. Most manufacturers will know what products they have which are 'less good' and shockingly won't submit them for review. Like I said, shocking.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sanjay wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:52 pm

This is so deceptive. Shameful. Cycling Weekly simply sold them an ad.
Well, it was disclosed. And this is what happens in other industries too. There is a ton of “fake news” out there. The people who sold you the idea that there is a free and unbiased press is the “free press” itself. Think about it. Everyone has an agenda and the agenda of the cycling press is to make money. Period.

I think the point is that as a consumer we need to think for ourselves and try stuff, not take the media reports as gospel. That’s why this forum and others like it are fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ichobi

by ichobi

Wow i barely see the disclosure. Something like Editor’s Choice should never ever be advertorials. Whats the point in putting ‘Editor’ in front of the articles’ name in the first place if its just ad. Shocking i Know but i didn’t think they could go that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

RyanH wrote:Don't forget about the sub-moa 3 shot group to validate its accuracy.
Three shot cloverleaf on a cold barrel with factory amo.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Best ever bike review: Bike Snob NYC's review of Colnago Extreme Power
... handles corners like a prostitute ...

Hellgate

by Hellgate

HammerTime2 wrote:Best ever bike review: Bike Snob NYC's review of Colnago Extreme Power
... handles corners like a prostitute ...
Epic. As though it was written by a monkey wearing Primal half shorts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

stormur

by stormur

I'll insert the stick into an anthill : how can you criticize obviously ( for anyone with IQ bit higher than cabbage ) paid content called "review" accepting same way this shit on this forum ??? That doesn't bother you guys at all, isn't it ? examples are -again- obvious ( like fart in the small car ) , but EVERYONE here ( I'm proud exception :) ) pretends like it doesn't exist or it isn't what it really is.

Pure hypcrisy.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

I also love the "we're totally objective, but here's our first ride impressions of next year's pre-production line up at a four star Alpine resort stay bankrolled by the manufacturer."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com