Etap with hollowgram?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dopesick187

by dopesick187

I'm looking to upgrade the groupset on my supersix evo hm to sram red hrd etap. I'd like to keep the hollowgram chainset if possible? I've seen some chainsets can have clearance issues with the etap front derailleur, even Cannondale spec a red chainset on the etap supersix which makes me think their is an issue.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience on this?

Thanks

sungod

by sungod

it's not the chainset per se, it's the combination of components, frame size/geometry is probably the most important factor

fwiw i had a red crankset, it just clipped a limit screw, easily fixed by grinding a couple of mm off the screw

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

dopesick187 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:17 pm
I'm looking to upgrade the groupset on my supersix evo hm to sram red hrd etap. I'd like to keep the hollowgram chainset if possible? I've seen some chainsets can have clearance issues with the etap front derailleur, even Cannondale spec a red chainset on the etap supersix which makes me think their is an issue.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience on this?

Thanks

I got it to work with Praxis rings on a Caad12. I couldn't make it work with the newer forged Cannondale chainrings. I have seen SiSL2 with E-Tap on EVO HM's though. Would be interested in this question myself. I thought of shimming the crank on the drive side but ended up with a good deal on a Red crank.

Jensa

by Jensa

try to google "cannonade evo supersix etap" and you will find some bikes with etap and hollowgram in the picture search

topflightpro

by topflightpro

dopesick187 wrote:
even Cannondale spec a red chainset on the etap supersix which makes me think their is an issue.
My understanding is that Sram only sells eTap OEM with the crankset, forcing manufacturers to spec the Red crankset, which explains why Cannondale and Specialized do not stock their crank on their eTap builds.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

topflightpro, you're right, SRAM insists on selling their crank to bike manufacturers. Otherwise Cannondales would come with Hollowgram cranks.

It Works
Anyway, I installed a Hollowgram crank on my Cannondale CAAD8 today and found the eTap front derailleur clears the crank arm and shifts well. We'll see if anything changes when I ride it. Might be a while with winter here!

The Gap
Even though it looks like plenty of clearance to me, I tried a 2 mm allen key and it doesn't pass through. So maybe the gap is 1 mm?
Anyway, as Hapsmo911 said, it's not hard to shim the crank if needed.

The parts
My Hollowgram cranks have the forged Cannondale Spidering in the 8-arm version with compact 34, 50 tooth chainrings. I wondered if chainring size matters but I guess not: the Hollowgram arm is parallel to the plane of the bike where the front derailleur screw comes close, so bigger (or smaller) rings shouldn't affect the clearance.

The Photos

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

dvq

by dvq

I had a 2012 Supersix Evo HiMod w/ SISL cranks and eTap FD, the clearance it super tight, 1-2mm at most.
In a sprint, likely you will come into contact with the lower hex set screw, you may need to even angle the derailleur cage in at the rear to minimize contact with the cage and the crank arm. This is not an ideal setup.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Thanks dvq, I'll watch for that while throwing down my massive power (not, ha ha).

I know on my bike, the FD cage isn't close to my crank. Maybe I've already got it angled a bit, though I followed SRAM's set up instructions.

There have also been a few tiny changes to arms through the years. I know one recent change increased clearance a bit to be compatible with Yaw FDs. Maybe my cranks are new enough they already have this extra clearance. (I got them used off a Synapse, I'll have to check the year.)

Cheers
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

Massi

by Massi

Hi,

I've got both a 50cm CAAD12 adn SuperSix EVO, both with eTap and Hollowgram crank sets. Not a single problem with set-up and use with the components. In all, it works flawlessly. I do believe that having a mechanic that is thoroughly competent in working with eTap is important, the guy that has built all of my eTap bikes is truly knowledgeable about setting it all up to work perfect.

NewYorkNick

by NewYorkNick

Hey y'all I'm building caad12 with hollowgram si crankset and sram red (mechanical). It looks like some people are successfully running sram e-tap on a hollowgram si crank and rings, so I'm assuming the mechanical version would allow the same clearance and fitment. Any experience with this combo? Thanks!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

NewYorkNick wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:11 pm
Hey y'all I'm building caad12 with hollowgram si crankset and sram red (mechanical). It looks like some people are successfully running sram e-tap on a hollowgram si crank and rings, so I'm assuming the mechanical version would allow the same clearance and fitment. Any experience with this combo? Thanks!
That works fine, the mechanical Red front derailleur is not as bulky and it's limit screws are on the top, not the side like eTAP where they can get close to the crankarm. Many Cannondales came stock with Red mechanical and a Hollowgram without any issues, you're good to go!

Back to the eTAP + Hollowgram combo, I swapped the Red crankset of my 2017 Evo eTAP for a SISL2 with SpideRing SL 50/34, I installed with the normal spacer setup and I have no issues at all, as much clearance as I had with the Red crankset, about 4mm. :thumbup:
Attachments
HollowgramSISL2eTAP.jpg
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

dopesick187 wrote:
The first release of eTap FDs had a limit screw that poked out too far for some non-Sram chainsets to clear. It's been fixed now with a slightly shorter screw and isn't an issue anymore.

Cannondale spec Sram/Quarq chainsets on the eTap bikes because Sram mandate that OE customers spec a Sram or Qarq chainset (or chainrings for people like Look with BB compatibility issues) on complete eTap bikes. They wont sell you the groupset if you don't. For instance check out Spesh. eTap bikes get Red cranks, DI2 bikes get S-Works cranks. It's a business thing not a technical thing.

(Oops, looks like i'm late to the party. Sorry!)

Connor

by Connor

We set up two super six evo hi mod discs with etap this past september for a couple guys in a crit squad and neither of them have had any issues with rub in a sprint.

req110

by req110

What about AXS compatibility please?

I am looking to upgrade my cannondale to 12 speed AXS groupset. I am considering to keep my SISL2 cranks, and just change the chaining.

r2 bike says this chainring is 12 speed

https://r2-bike.com/ABSOLUTE-BLACK-Chai ... 0-34-Teeth

this shop says only 10 or 11 speed

https://www.koloshop.cz/prevodniky,-roc ... 4gQAvD_BwE

official site says nothing

https://absoluteblack.cc/cannondale-spi ... -chainring
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Soooo, I guess I found the case where this isn't possible.

This is Force AXS derailleur and a Hollowgram SiSL on the 104mm spindle. Chainrings are Praxis 52/36 rings on the 110 BCD spider.

Not sure what options I have, I tried some sub-optimal derailleur alignments to clear, but even w/ the limit screws shaved, the knuckle would contact. Do SiSL2s DS crank arms have more offset? Or are there chainrings w/ less chainline?

If I change to the 109mm spindle w/o the shoulder, I can adjust chainline w/ spacers, but it would stay the same relative to DS crankarm so I'm not sure that would gain me anything.

PXL_20211017_024327370.PORTRAIT.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com