Climbing Mortirolo - Ceramicspeed OSPW vs wifli etap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hey guys!

I'm doing the Gran Fondo stelvio next year, and the mighty mortirolo (and stelvio :lol: ) but at 95 kg i will need a 11-32 for mortiolo, but here goes the question.

Have any of you tried the Ceramicspeed OSPW? I'm running etap, and yeah I could buy the wifli pack with casette and chain, but it's alot of money I think and I will then have two rear derailleurs sitting around.
But for alot less i could buy the OSPW and a force 11-32 instead?

But does it run smooth? And how is the gear change?

Thanks guys!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Why not just run your eTap with oversized pulleys?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockBros-Rear- ... 5PEmi5C-eA

This fits the eTap rear derailleur.
The jockey wheels are ceramic and super smooth (they spin in hand forever and a half).
While it is not the lightest out there, it is also lighter than the ceramicspeed ones.

I've installed the style for regular SRAM derailleurs - it's fairly straight forward and easy to do, just like any other re-assembly or dis-assembly of a derailleur cage. The only difference between eTap and mechanical cages is the location/orientation of the mount bracket (the black piece snug against the cage at the base of the silver axle)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Marin

by Marin

Why would you need the OSPW for the Mortirolo? It's just snake oil.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Go for the OPSW, it's likely faster, and it's going to be the cheaper option to run a 32 rear. And you wont have an extra rear derailleur taking up space.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Is the 95kg due to being super tall or not wanting to give up pies?

If pie related, no amount of tech will matter. Just train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Looks like there are no good cheap options to get a 32 on your bike. And you will need a 32. The Mortirolo will not seem as hard as its reputation suggests, but guys your size will need a 32 if they want to spend anytime seated. And with tired legs on the last bit of the Stelvio a 32 could save you. The Ceramic Speed stuff is nice but ridiculous. Make's more sense to get the proper rear derailleur. You will certainly use it and the 11-32 cassette again.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

ultimobici wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:24 pm
Is the 95kg due to being super tall or not wanting to give up pies?

If pie related, no amount of tech will matter. Just train.
Couldn't agree more. I did the mortirolo once. I live in super flat Florida, USA. I have no natural talent, ability, or even good training grounds for my fat and lardy butt. Good looking bikes and gear though, so hoped it would get me through. Got to the top on a compact and 12-29. Wished many times for lighting to strike, cars to kill me, and even a heart attack though. Still made it. 11-32 would make it easier for sure even for the untrained.

Get loosing weight, Best thing you can do altogether even if you are 9 ft tall!!!!

Hellgate

by Hellgate

I recommend their new, 3D printed one. If you're going to spend $500 for marginal gains (if any), you may as well pony up $1,700. At least your wallet will be lighter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

I was able to trade my regular etap rd for a wifli on thepaceline. You should put a wtt ad on the multiple sites — maybe you will get lucky like me.

fa63

by fa63

Marin wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:39 pm
I got the impression it is to allow him to run a 32-tooth cassette; not because it spins easier etc.

I would just get the WiFli RD, and sell the short cage RD to recoup some of the costs. WiFli RD works just as well as the short cage version even when not running a 32-tooth cassette.

Jowwy

by Jowwy

Why not just pay 20 bucks for a wolftooth roadlink and fit 32 cassette

PinaF8

by PinaF8

What about running compact rings?
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

Marin

by Marin

fa63 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:21 pm
Marin wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:39 pm
I got the impression it is to allow him to run a 32-tooth cassette;
Oh, ok!

Careful - the long cage is a red herring, it has NOTHING to do with being able to shift a 32t!

Wifli derailleurs have a different linkage that swings the cage in a steeper arc so the top pulley clears a larger cog. The longer cage is just there to take up the increased chain slack.

I'm currently running a Wifli derailleur that I put a short cage on for looks and weight savings. I run 1x 42/11-32 and don't need the chain capacity.

Bottom line: A longer cage will do nothing to help shifting a larger cassette. If you only need 11-32 for a single event, get an Apex or Rival mech.

wingguy

by wingguy

Marin wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:45 pm
If you only need 11-32 for a single event, get an Apex or Rival mech.
Umm, plus shifters, front mech and cables :wink:

Marin

by Marin

Oops, etap. Well, then the Road Link looks really promising all of a sudden :)

I also ran one - you do lose shifting quality on the small cogs, but it works. I went to an 11-30 cassette I that bike now which l can shift with a short cage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com