Did a forum search for "Colnago v1-r"

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

and went scrolling thru the returned pages. but didn't get a direct return specifically on the VR-1

looking around the internet, my sense is that this frame is one of Colnago's more poorly received offerings. from the "made in china" stigma, to the "ferrari logo" pretension, to the misplacement of the rear brake.

i do have a line on one in my size and color, for $2500 usd

I'm also considering a custom steel frame for around the same price, but at twice the weight.

one thing i'm a little confused about; some places have indicated that the direct mount brakes come with the frame set. other places indicate not.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

not to mention: "its not a lugged frame... it's not a TRUE Colnago" cork-sniffery...

ok, ok... its all in jest.

my type of riding: long-distance solo, hard club rides, no racing competitively (been there, done that, over)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Some times it's easier to search with Google. The short 3 character term with a dash is probably an issue. Put this in your search box:

"Colnago VR-1 site:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum"

I've never ridden a VR-1 but I imagine that it is a fine bike. Every review I've read is pretty good. The usual knock is that the rear brake is hard to get to for adjustment. But, how often do you adjust your rear brake?

For $2000 less than a C60 you get Colnago geometry and ride plus you get a bike with aero features which might be worth a few watts on your club rides. That seems like a decent deal even though you don't get "made in Italy" and a slower lugged, fat tube design.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:45 am
For $2000 less than a C60 you get Colnago geometry and ride plus you get a bike with aero features which might be worth a few watts on your club rides. That seems like a decent deal even though you don't get "made in Italy" and a slower lugged, fat tube design.
You should also get a bit better tire clearance.

The V2-r is on my short list for a next bike. I like the looks and it fits me fairly well. I do prefer the rear brake placement over the V1-r.

BikeKingV1r

by BikeKingV1r

Brakes do not come with the frame set normally. Also with money being saved you can get some EE brakes on that thing!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah didn't seem to be too well received. The V2-r looks class. For me though, it's an aero bike, so has to be judged on its merits, which means it'll need to be wind tunnel tested by Tour or such like and somewhat verified as being aerodynamic as you'd expect from current gen aero machines. I'd be more likely to buy a V2-r than a C60, as I'm into aero bikes and I'm liking how Colnago were brave enough to take the next step forward.