Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc vs Advanced SL Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Indeed the pricing of these bikes and therefore the difference of pricing between these bikes is quite different depending in which region of the world you buy these!

But always hearing that Giant is cheap or a bargain just because it is 20-25% less expensive than the others makes me smile....at 40-50% less it would be bargain. At only 20-30% less than the other I would take the other if I have the money. The Giant bikes are very good. No question about that. But the emotional factor is zero for me (that’s also not their goal). And road biking is also about the emotional factor. The painting of the BMC is for example just superb when you see it in real. Not gloss not matte but satin! And some gloss in the fork. And two tones. On the website you don’t see that really.

And again check the geometry and take the geometry that suits the best your capacities and targets. There is no point to have a very good bike that doesn’t suit your body 100%.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Financially I agree that only the Giant and Canyon are worth considering. My issue is the Canyon is technically not available in Canada but I could probably get one delivered in the US nearby at a warehouse. The Canyon would fit closer to my existing Tarmac; the TCR has a shorter stack that would require an extra 15mm in spacers compared to the Canyon. On the other hand the Canyon comes with so-so wheels (2nd tier Mavic) that are quite heavy. No perfect choice. Giant seems great but wonder about the ISP if I ever want to travel. Are there bike boxes that can be used with the ISP?

circuithero

by circuithero

I have a 2016 SL2 and it's definitely snappier than the non-SL. But I'm pretty sure that's because the SL has full carbon dropouts and the non-SL has alloy ones. This doesn't really apply to the disc since they both use the same thru-axle dropouts. Other than that, the only things you get with the SL is the ISP (the ride is so nice,) lighter frame (slightly,) and a full carbon bb shell (don't know if I really feel a difference.)

TonyM

by TonyM

circuithero wrote:I have a 2016 SL2 and it's definitely snappier than the non-SL. But I'm pretty sure that's because the SL has full carbon dropouts and the non-SL has alloy ones. This doesn't really apply to the disc since they both use the same thru-axle dropouts. Other than that, the only things you get with the SL is the ISP (the ride is so nice,) lighter frame (slightly,) and a full carbon bb shell (don't know if I really feel a difference.)
I personally doubt that the carbon dropouts of your SL are the reason why your SL is “snappier” than the non SL...

TonyM

by TonyM

Bordcla wrote:Financially I agree that only the Giant and Canyon are worth considering. My issue is the Canyon is technically not available in Canada but I could probably get one delivered in the US nearby at a warehouse. The Canyon would fit closer to my existing Tarmac; the TCR has a shorter stack that would require an extra 15mm in spacers compared to the Canyon. On the other hand the Canyon comes with so-so wheels (2nd tier Mavic) that are quite heavy. No perfect choice. Giant seems great but wonder about the ISP if I ever want to travel. Are there bike boxes that can be used with the ISP?
If I buy a full bike, the best is either are the wheels exactly the one I want or they are cheap, heavy etc... and I will replace them asap. I would also a proper set of wheels instead of the house brand wheels like Giant or Spez. The wheels are going to influence the properties of your ride immensely and also depending on your terrain, ride style, weight, power etc...Choose the frame, then the group and then the wheels.

TonyM

by TonyM

deleted
Last edited by TonyM on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

BTW I live also in CDN and the pricing for us for the Canyon is less attractive than in Europe or in the US as they still don’t deliver CDN! Grrrrrr....Canyon still remain a good value for the money like Giant but with more emotions than Giant.

TonyM

by TonyM

Deleted

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Another thing to consider is that the 2017 bike with the older 6800 disc groupset with the R785 shifters compared to the 2018 with the R8000 shifters. For me, the smaller R8000 shifters are more aesthetically pleasing and lead to a more cohesive looking groupset. Since you can afford both, the 2018 is more appealing to me because you'll be getting a better frame, stock wheels, and finishing kit, and the newest Shimano Ultegra Di2 groupset.

dim

by dim

I'd add the Scott Addict Premium Disc Di2 on your list ....
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Sanjay

by Sanjay

I have the rim brake version of the 2017 Giant TCR SL0 with eTap and it has been fantastic so far. Weighed 6.15kg without pedals. The ISP was straight forward to cut to size as part of the bike fit the shop I got it from included in the price (£4,200).

The wheels are great, light and accelerate quickly and also come tubeless with sealant already in which was also a selling point for me. It's the first Giant I've had but it replaced a Canyon Ultimate SLX from 2013 and the ride is a big step up from that in terms of feel, climbing, descending etc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Sanjay wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:28 am
I have the rim brake version of the 2017 Giant TCR SL0 with eTap and it has been fantastic so far. Weighed 6.15kg without pedals. The ISP was straight forward to cut to size as part of the bike fit the shop I got it from included in the price (£4,200).

The wheels are great, light and accelerate quickly and also come tubeless with sealant already in which was also a selling point for me. It's the first Giant I've had but it replaced a Canyon Ultimate SLX from 2013 and the ride is a big step up from that in terms of feel, climbing, descending etc.

Those wheels that you say are great: are they the SLR 0 or the SLR 1? I read good things about the 0s, but understand that the 1s have different hubs and spokes. I am 185 lbs or so and fairly strong, so I want to make sure the wheels are reliable.

I also need to make sure the SL version of the TCR disc can swallow Continental GP4000 s II tires in 28c size, as the roads here are terrible and 25s don't do the trick to make the ride bearable.

Sanjay

by Sanjay

They are the SLR0s. If the clearance is the same as the rim version of the TCR then I think 28mm would be a very tight fit, though I guess it depends on the tyre.

addict

by addict

Sanjay wrote:They are the SLR0s. If the clearance is the same as the rim version of the TCR then I think 28mm would be a very tight fit, though I guess it depends on the tyre.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Bordcla wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:31 pm
Those wheels that you say are great: are they the SLR 0 or the SLR 1? I read good things about the 0s, but understand that the 1s have different hubs and spokes. I am 185 lbs or so and fairly strong, so I want to make sure the wheels are reliable.

I also need to make sure the SL version of the TCR disc can swallow Continental GP4000 s II tires in 28c size, as the roads here are terrible and 25s don't do the trick to make the ride bearable.
The SLR 0 and 1 share the same rim. The differences are:
- The hub, respectively the freewheel. DT 350 ratchet system in SLR 0 (not sure how many PoE, probably 18) and DT 360 3-pawl in SLR 1 which is basically the same hub with a different freehub and drive ring. Contrary to popular belief the DT 360 can be upgraded to the ratchet system, albeit you need a special tool to remove the drive ring, special tool to install the ratchet-compatible drive ring, new freehub and the ratchets and springs of course.

- The spokes. Both are made by Sapim. You'll find the top-of the line CX-Ray on the SLR 0 and the marginally heavier CX-Sprint on the SLR 1. The weight difference in 45 spokes is about 60 grams.

The GP 4000S II is an extremely tight fit on the Pro and I doubt it would be different on the SL. It runs about 31 mm wide on 17C rim and a reasonable max tire-width for that frame is 29-30mm.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc