Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc vs Advanced SL Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bordcla

by Bordcla

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:50 pm
Bordcla wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:31 pm
Those wheels that you say are great: are they the SLR 0 or the SLR 1? I read good things about the 0s, but understand that the 1s have different hubs and spokes. I am 185 lbs or so and fairly strong, so I want to make sure the wheels are reliable.

I also need to make sure the SL version of the TCR disc can swallow Continental GP4000 s II tires in 28c size, as the roads here are terrible and 25s don't do the trick to make the ride bearable.
The SLR 0 and 1 share the same rim. The differences are:
- The hub, respectively the freewheel. DT 350 ratchet system in SLR 0 (not sure how many PoE, probably 18) and DT 360 3-pawl in SLR 1 which is basically the same hub with a different freehub and drive ring. Contrary to popular belief the DT 360 can be upgraded to the ratchet system, albeit you need a special tool to remove the drive ring, special tool to install the ratchet-compatible drive ring, new freehub and the ratchets and springs of course.

- The spokes. Both are made by Sapim. You'll find the top-of the line CX-Ray on the SLR 0 and the marginally heavier CX-Sprint on the SLR 1. The weight difference in 45 spokes is about 60 grams.

The GP 4000S II is an extremely tight fit on the Pro and I doubt it would be different on the SL. It runs about 31 mm wide on 17C rim and a reasonable max tire-width for that frame is 29-30mm.
Other than the weight, is a wheel built with the CX-Sprint spokes any less strong than one built with CX-Rays? I'm 182 lbs and can put out a decent amount of torque through the pedals.

I'm used to quality wheels (Shimano C24s on one bike) and Enve SES 4.5 on the other, and so am used to having bombroof wheels. I want to make sure the SLR1s would be up to the job, and also need to make sure 28c GP4000s would fit this frame, as this is a key consideration for me getting another bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Navik

by Navik

I always thought that SLR0 uses DT 240S Star ratchet internals (def 18 poe)

Mine is 2016 rim version and it states on the Taiwanese giant website.

http://www.giantcyclingworld.com/our_ge ... d=20153729
Last edited by Navik on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

AFAIK Giant used to have their wheels produced by DT as OEM, then used their internals and then Giant made their own.

silvalis

by silvalis

The website claims current version SLR0's are still star ratchets
Chasse patate

TonyM

by TonyM

silvalis wrote:The website claims current version SLR0's are still star ratchets
Someone working with Giant told me that Giant is now fully producing their wheels but they bought a license from DT Swiss for the production of the ratchet system in their wheels.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Bordcla wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:06 am
Other than the weight, is a wheel built with the CX-Sprint spokes any less strong than one built with CX-Rays? I'm 182 lbs and can put out a decent amount of torque through the pedals.

I'm used to quality wheels (Shimano C24s on one bike) and Enve SES 4.5 on the other, and so am used to having bombroof wheels. I want to make sure the SLR1s would be up to the job, and also need to make sure 28c GP4000s would fit this frame, as this is a key consideration for me getting another bike.
I feel like I've already answered this, but the forum might have not registered my reply? Anyway...

I've found some info indicating 1430 N/mm2 vs 1600 N/mm2 in favour of the CX-Ray, but honestly I think they are either both equal or the CX-Sprint is actually the stiffer one since it's slightly thicker and marginally wider at 2.25x1.25mm vs 2.20x0.90mm for the CX-Ray. They weight difference is around 1.5g per spoke.

As for the 28c GP4000sII I feel like we keep on beating a dead horse here. It's a tight fit. Period. Other 28s will probably fit, but I wouldn't personally run the Conti.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

tomee

by tomee

im in this exact situation.
what did you go with in the end Bordcla?

Bordcla

by Bordcla

tomee wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:51 pm
im in this exact situation.
what did you go with in the end Bordcla?
Went with a Canyon Aeroad. The Contis are a tight fit there too, but it works for now. Will likely switch to Schwalbe Pro Ones to gain a bit of extra clearance in the back.