Disc brake TT open mold frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

szabozed

by szabozed

Hi,

Does anybody has any info or experience with the Carbonda CFR555-D Tt frame? http://carbonda.com/road/tt/tr/75.html
Or any experience with Carbonda at all?

I am looking for a disc brake TT frame with fully integrated cable management for triathlon and this the only one I found. Do you have any advice what others available on the market?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

No experience and no comment on that frame but what brakes are you intending to use? I'm not aware of any TT-style brake lever intended for use with hydro disc brakes.

That's the reason the hyper-expensive Cervelo P5X gets by with TRP Hy/Dr cable-operated calipers.

Ettore

by Ettore

Miller wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:29 pm
No experience and no comment on that frame but what brakes are you intending to use? I'm not aware of any TT-style brake lever intended for use with hydro disc brakes.

That's the reason the hyper-expensive Cervelo P5X gets by with TRP Hy/Dr cable-operated calipers.
It's called the Shimano ST-R9180...

http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bik ... r9180.html

Miller

by Miller

Interesting. I'd want to be sure I could get hold of those before laying out any more money on the project though.

Jensa

by Jensa

Miller wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:39 pm
Interesting. I'd want to be sure I could get hold of those before laying out any more money on the project though.
you mean like this https://www.bike24.com/p2230943.html ? they have just the levers to

joejack951

by joejack951

Jensa wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:31 pm
you mean like this https://www.bike24.com/p2230943.html ? they have just the levers to
But the price...Ouch!

szabozed, if you have any additional information about this frameset I am interested as well. Not sure how I'd set it up but it would be nice to be able to share wheelsets between my thru axle disc road bike and a TT bike.

ms6073

by ms6073

joejack951 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:29 pm
But the price...Ouch!
Which is probably why the OP is looking at Open Mold framesets. Keep in mind that the vendor in the OP is more than likely not the manufacturer, but a wholesaler who fronts for a variety of manufacturers, so the real concern is service after the sale in case there is an issue with the frame. As for the actual question, no experience with the vendor in the original post, but I have seen the company mentioned in threads about open mold CX/gravel frames on other forums and have yet to see any issues posted.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

joejack951

by joejack951

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:13 pm
Which is probably why the OP is looking at Open Mold framesets. Keep in mind that the vendor in the OP is more than likely not the manufacturer, but a wholesaler who fronts for a variety of manufacturers, so the real concern is service after the sale in case there is an issue with the frame. As for the actual question, no experience with the vendor in the original post, but I have seen the company mentioned in threads about open mold CX/gravel frames on other forums and have yet to see any issues posted.
Or he isn't looking at using hydraulic TT levers and instead planning on using full mechanical or hybrid mechanical disc calipers. Which is what I'd most likely do having seen the price for the Shimano hydraulic TT levers. That would make the choice to run Campy EPS and HY/RD calipers very, very easy in fact.

I think that it's been pretty well proven that as long as you don't buy from some no-name outfit on Ebay that the open mold frame vendors are pretty darn good about fixing issues after the sale. In fact, it seems easier to deal with them than some of the big names in the industry. As long as the price is right and it isn't inherently unsafe, I don't really care who made the frame.

Jensa

by Jensa

FSA is coming with levers and brakes to for TT, sram already has one, https://r2-bike.com/SRAM-Disc-Brake-S-900-Aero-HRD

Renne

by Renne

The TRP HD 910 is also an option.

akafinto

by akafinto

Any other views on this? I'm very interested in a disc brake triathlon frame and the options are currently quite limited!

The only potential issue is around geometry - seems very high in stack vs. reach

Sstaples

by Sstaples

Carbonda CFR555-D disc TT frame. I am researching the same disc, thru-axle, 28mm width wheel frameset for a new triathlon build. How is the search going? Any more info on the Carbonda CFR555-D disc TT frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com