Pro Stealth Saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Just got the Pro Stealth 143 steel rail saddle.
Not a big fan but I still have 30days to return it.

I don't have that much experience with saddles, previous ones were Fizik Antares VS then Selle Italia SLR....The Selle was comfortable but just that little hard/less padding so I thought I would give the Pro Stealth a try.

I'm only 172cm, 68kg and right off the bat, I could feel how much wider they are. I tend to sit towards the aft of my Selle saddle so I did the same with the Pro, couldn't do it, it felt uncomfortable. Those with narrower sitbones may want to consider this.
It didn't feel like it was support, more of two edges/flaps protruding....hard to explain.

So I shifted forwards on the saddle/moved saddle back.....it felt better but then another 'possible' problem rose. The nose is wider, quite a lot wider actually than selle...and saddle edges doesn't have a smooth slope off, so it causes a tiny amount of rubbing.
Measuring from the nose...
nose=35mm wide
50mm back....50mm wide
100mm back...70mm wide
115mm back = 80mm wide (from the comments above....bike fitter reference point)
150mm back...120mm wide
180mm back is the widest@142mm
nose to end is 255mm

I've never noticed the saddle edges on the Fizik or Selle, I haven't done long rides on it yet but it got me thinking whether it would cause chafing of my inner thigh.

Sorry for the wall of text, if you have a chance to 'test' it, might be worth doing that first before buying....or use the 30days money back thing.
Last edited by Boshk on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah the Pro Stealth is monster wide at the nose. Measurement wise it has more in common with a 2 prong saddle like an Adamo than anything else. The rest of the modern snub nose road saddles like the Power, Dimension or Novus Boost are all much narrower at the front.

guyc

by guyc

I've been trying a few saddles this last few weeks - recommended by GP after a bout of prostatitis where we established my old Antares supported pretty much my soft bits and nothing else. I moved from 142mm to wider 152/155mm as well.

So - the 155mm Power was too fixed and the nose a little pointy for me. I thought the 152mm Stealth was the one but a couple of rides it was causing a weird discomfort that I couldn't get rid of no matter where I put the saddle. The one that finally worked was the 155mm S Works Romin Evo. The right width, not as immobile as the Power and more rounded than the Stealth. 150 miles in and it's working out well.

Saddles are, quite literally, a total ballache to get right.

dominikk

by dominikk

nemeseri wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:20 am
Bordcla wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:54 am
Rode the Specialized Power for a long time and it's basically OK for me, much better than most other saddles. The Pro Stealth was a step up in comfort, despite having thinner, firmer padding than the Power. I still have major saddle sores problem in the crease between my thigh and my pelvic bones/buttocks, but at this point, I can't fathom what might be needed to get rid of that. Other areas of comfort (soreness or, in the case of the Stealth, lack thereof) are all improved over the Power. The Stealth feels like the load is being spread over a larger area, decreasing pressure. Hope that makes sense.
How many miles do you ride a week? Have you tried different bib shorts? Extra tipp, but sorry if it's obvious: shaving off hair in the area is a big no-no. Too low (more pressure on sit bones) or too high (chafing) saddle position can also contribute to saddle sores, so maybe a double check by a fitter can be benefitial.
Shaving off hair in the area is a big no-no? 😳
Riding Paniagua - The Future of cycling!

nemeseri

by nemeseri

dominikk wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 am
Yes. Shaving promotes ingrown hair, razor bumps, micro cuts, dry skin and other forms of skin irritation. Therefore there is a much higher risk for infection. If you've never had any problems due to shaving the area, good for you. If you shave or wax and you keep developing saddle sores easily then it's likely part of the problem.

dominikk

by dominikk

nemeseri wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:38 pm
dominikk wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 am
Yes. Shaving promotes ingrown hair, razor bumps, micro cuts, dry skin and other forms of skin irritation. Therefore there is a much higher risk for infection. If you've never had any problems due to shaving the area, good for you. If you shave or wax and you keep developing saddle sores easily then it's likely part of the problem.
Yes. Never thought of this that way, but I guess u 're right.
Thanks a lot, really, Let me see if that helps,
but other thing would be, what wifey says about non-shaved area ... :shock:
Riding Paniagua - The Future of cycling!

Robbyville

by Robbyville

A fellow forum member and I have been swapping saddles in the absence of any good demo programs in our area (let me know if you want to try with an Infinity with steel rails, Bontrager Affinity XXX carbon, or Fabric Line Carbon). He had sent me the Pro stealth. It was ok for a fairly aggressive posture but the nose width just didn’t work for me despite using a normal 143mm saddle. I tried a multitude of set ups but alas no go. Cool saddle and idea, I know it works for many, just not mez

Robbyville

by Robbyville

A fellow forum member and I have been swapping saddles in the absence of any good demo programs in our area (let me know if you want to try with an Infinity with steel rails, Bontrager Affinity XXX carbon, or Fabric Line Carbon). He had sent me the Pro stealth. It was ok for a fairly aggressive posture but the nose width just didn’t work for me despite using a normal 143mm saddle. I tried a multitude of set ups but alas no go. Cool saddle and idea, I know it works for many, just not me

Connor

by Connor

I got one over the summer and have been loving it. Coming from an arione 00 this saddle was a godsend. Feels great at distance on on the rivet hammering while sitting on the nose.

glepore

by glepore

I just bought an identical knockoff from China to try the shape. I've been on Romin Pro and Powers for a while. I really wanted to like it. I'm ok with being "locked in" by the Power, but being able to scoot forward is useful. The Pro excells at this-however, the nose is a bit too wide for my narrowish pelvis and it chafes. I'd recommend this course for anyone wanting to try the shape-its only a $25 investment.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

osw000

by osw000

Robbyville wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:46 pm
A fellow forum member and I have been swapping saddles in the absence of any good demo programs in our area (let me know if you want to try with an Infinity with steel rails, Bontrager Affinity XXX carbon, or Fabric Line Carbon). He had sent me the Pro stealth. It was ok for a fairly aggressive posture but the nose width just didn’t work for me despite using a normal 143mm saddle. I tried a multitude of set ups but alas no go. Cool saddle and idea, I know it works for many, just not mez
Same here. Tried the 14cm width version. Being 175cm and 67kg and skinny, size seemed right and wanted to test after LBS advise. The channel really alleviates pressure on perineum but putting your weight back over your isquios. Saddle is really firm with minimum padding so at first feels a bit hard. After some long rides I got more or less adapted to new weight distribution. Works wonderfully when going down in the drops. What I found uncomfortable was the front width. It rubbed inner thighs and felt that altered way too much my pedal stroke, so I used the 30 day money back program.
Last edited by osw000 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

For those of you who have tried both the Stealth and the Specialized Power, how does the front to back curvature compare between the two? I am quite happy with the Power, but the curvature seems a bit excessive, and to get the front of the saddle flat the mid and rear sections have to curve down quite a lot, which puts a bit too much weight on my hands. Looking at pictures the Stealth does seem to be a bit flatter, but it's hard to tell, and other variables like flex in the shell or firmness of the padding can affect it as well.

glepore

by glepore

The stealth is flatter, but I run the power with -1 to -2 degree nose down to allieviate the issue you describe with the power.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Sorry to crash th discussion, but I'm going through the "great saddle search" at the moment too.

Current saddle is a ProLogo Kappa Evo PAS. It's listed as a 'semi round' - 273mm long x 147mm. Fitted great and could get them at the right price (A$55), but have now had two in a row where the rails can move ever so slightly in the rear sockets which causes squeaking/vibration that drives me NUTS. Tried different lubes etc to get rid of it to no avail.

Did some sitbone tests and was measured at 138 or 139mm (two different versions).

Currently trying a Bontrager Montrose Elite and it's a bit 'flatter' than the Kappa, so it may not be the one for me. It's a bit flatter than the Kappa, and this may be the issue for me. Also on a 30 day trial with it.

Any other suggestions ?

guyc

by guyc

Romin Evo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com