Advice on building budget 1x10 or 1x11 groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

I'm in the proess of building up a super budget crit bike with a 1x groupset. I'm only looking at SRAM parts (unless anyone knows some black magic to make Camapag work).

My current thinking is to use a 2x crank with a 50-53t narrow wide fitted on the inner position (apparently this works fine), and a Rival/Force Type 2 mech at the back.

Is this going to work? Is there a better option?

Do I really need a narrow-wide AND clutch mech for road use?

Where can I find a budget 50t+ narrow-wide chainring?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ettore

by Ettore

I'd take a look at the 3T Strada bikes of Aqua Blue Sport team. Sram Force 1 apparently.

Devon

by Devon

Force 1 as a groupset is way out of budget unfortunately. I'm looking at second hand and ebay parts to build up as a custom. I'll find brakes and shifters elsewhere and make it work.

Marin

by Marin

You don't really need a clutch rear mech - any SRAM derailleur will work, the N/W chainring will keep the chain on just fine.

I used to run MTB 1x without clutch for a while, and I'm running 2 of my 3 1x bikes non-clutch, the 3rd being the gravel bike.

If you want a clutch mech, Rival 1 or GX will work, or any MTB derailleur with "Exact Actuation" -> https://www.sram.com/sram/road/technolo ... -actuation

Devon

by Devon

Thanks Marin, that's the sort of thing I wanted to hear. So I can run any old SRAM rear mech and save some hassle/money; the difficulty will be finding a big N/W.

morganb

by morganb

I can see a 50 tooth ring not fitting on the frame when run on the inner position on some bikes. Look at how close a normal small ring is to the DS chainstay on the bike.

Devon

by Devon

Fair point, will have to check the frame. I meant the inner of the big ring position. I'm in process of calculating what gearing I'll need but I expect dropping to a smaller ring will be detrimental to the sprint (assuming 12t in the rear, a 48t drops ~1mph at 90RPM over a 50t).

Marin

by Marin

You can get any size you like from Garbaruk - I run his rings. Superstar components and B.O.R. (check bike24.com) have cheap 50t road 1x rings. Wolftooth do larger road rings too.

@morganb is right that the inner position might not work depending on your chainstays.

Why a 12t? Use an 11t cassette and you can run a 46t ring which will be fine except for very fast sprints or steep downhills. I did a hilly TT this year with 46 / 11-30.

I used to spend a lot if time tweaking my gearing on here: http://ritzelrechner.de/?GR=DERS&KB=39, ... 8&UF2=2135

Devon

by Devon

Superstar were my go-to but list 48t as the largest for a 110BCD currently so will check the other options, thanks.

Good point re: 11t, I chose 12 fairly randomly for the calculation, not thinking that an 11t would allow a slightly smaller ring. I'm hesitant to go below 50 because I tend to favor power and lower RPM over spinning, but I can experiment and see what gear I usually sprint in.
Last edited by Devon on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

Not only slightly smaller, it's almost a 10% difference, so 4t smaller on the front!

BTW I have a SRAM 50t N/W ring which I used for a Team TT. I got it cheap 2nd hand. Note that the SRAM rings have a built-in offset which meant it didn't clear my chainstay - I had to run it reversed which worked fine.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I've been running a 1x cross set up for years with a basic Rival RD and regular cross chainring. But, I have it set up with an FSA Carbon "bash guard" (not really a bash guard, but it keeps the chain in place) and a K-Edge over the top chain keeper. Combined, the bash guard and K-Edge keep the chain on the chain ring.

Devon

by Devon

Okay so I found a NEW Rival 1 crankset with a 50t ring for less than it would cost to build a custom one. Problem solved providing it fits with the frame.

So current setup will be Rival 1 crank with a regular Rival/Force 22 rear mech, running 50:11-28.

aaric

by aaric

Heads up on the GX derailleurs: 10 and 11 speed ones have different pull ratios. The 10 speed ones have exact actuation and work with road levers. The 11 speed ones do not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

I have an S-works crankset from 2013 with the carbon spider and I'd like to run it 1x for a bit. I was thinking I could throw a bigger chainring on the inner spider position and it would be fairly well lined up. Can't use a 1x ring right? Because of the built in offset for 1x cranks?

And what do I do about chainring bolts? The carbon spider uses proprietary bolts so I'm not sure if I can just throw in any random 1x bolts to work. Should I try putting a small ring on the outside position and run the stock bolts? Or make a spacer to take up the space of the outer ring?