Colnago c60 + campagnolo problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 4371

Hi I'm new in here. I just buy new colnago c60 frameset and I put ultegra di2 drivetrain + campagnolo super record 2011 crank. My question is:
1. I install campagnolo bb86 bottom bracket. Do I need spacer ring to put campagnolo crank? (Because I need to put 2mm spacer on the drive side)
2. After I install the crank, If the chain on the smallest sprocket and front small gear. The chain rub on the outer ring. How to fix this? (If I put more spacer, I cannot install the crank)

Before I put ultegra crank, don't have this problem.

Thank you for your help.

From
Bali, Indonesia

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

1. there should be no spacer on drive side.
2. yes, this will happen on compact cranks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

4371 wrote:Hi I'm new in here. I just buy new colnago c60 frameset and I put ultegra di2 drivetrain + campagnolo super record 2011 crank. My question is:
1. I install campagnolo bb86 bottom bracket. Do I need spacer ring to put campagnolo crank? (Because I need to put 2mm spacer on the drive side)
2. After I install the crank, If the chain on the smallest sprocket and front small gear. The chain rub on the outer ring. How to fix this? (If I put more spacer, I cannot install the crank)

Before I put ultegra crank, don't have this problem.

Thank you for your help.

From
Bali, Indonesia
Welcome to WW ...

The reason that you had no problem with the Ultegra crank, is that it is designed to work with Shimano generally and Di2 specifically - and so the chain width, chainline and cassette position are all correct.

The Campagnolo crank is designed for a Campagnolo system that uses a narrower chain and so you may see the issue that you have.

On a 50/34 you have the worst possible combination of chainring size for this problem ... with 42/36 it would be less (but still present) and with 53/39 an still smaller issue but it will still happen.

If you try to space the crankset out, to change the chainline and fix this issue, you will probably find a problem on the big chainring and the biggest sprockets - either the FD won't "trim" enough and the chain will scrape inside, or the chain may tend to fall off the big chainring, especially once you start to get wear in the system.

In any case, the front shifting, while it will "work" will never be very good because the way that Shimano and the way that Campagnolo ramp and pin their chainrings is totally different, as is the way that they interact with the chain. Hence, you may see unpredictable shifting from big ring to small, especially as the chain is the wrong width for the spacing of the chainrings, and slow upshifting from small ring to big.

I would do the sensible thing, having spent a lot of money on a really nice bike - and re-fit the Ultegra chainset and let the system work the way it is supposed to ... or fit a full SR EPS groupset, with some small modifications to the rear derailleur to help the shift - the geometry of some hangers, including the one that Colnago use on the C60, needs a couple of small (fully factory approved) modifications to the EPS RD for the shift to work really nicely.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

deano87

by deano87

why would you put a Campag crank with Ultegra gruppo on a C60?!
What a mess
The Journey is more important than the Destination!

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

"... or fit a full SR EPS groupset, with some small modifications to the rear derailleur to help the shift - the geometry of some hangers, including the one that Colnago use on the C60, needs a couple of small (fully factory approved) modifications to the EPS RD for the shift to work really nicely."

Graeme, I'm just curious about what changes you have done to the EPS RD for a C60. I already find it to be awesome, and you are implying that it could be even better.

Seedster

by Seedster

deano87 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:33 am
why would you put a Campag crank with Ultegra gruppo on a C60?!
What a mess
my sentiments exactly

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

What a strange thing to do.