The ultimate saddle bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1415chris

by 1415chris

Just out of curiosity, what other unsolved part of the problem you mean?
I'm new to saddle bags, using Speedsleev Ranger small and as far as I'm concern it is quite good. It takes 2 spares, 2 cartridges with the head, multitool, tyre lever, latex gloves, valve tool, valve core, quick link and and there is still room to squeeze some small stuff init.
And yet very compact.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

andreas wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:05 pm
The problem with these rigid clam shell-type saddle bags is that their content rattle unless it is absolutely packed with stuff. I much prefer something that can be tightened to contract around its contents.
This can be true but not necessarily. What I have in mind would be so tightly packed with the folded tubular leaving litle to no free space for extras with rattling. The smooth external surfaces of the rigid clam shell negates all of the points below. My main problems are:

1. I hate saddle bags as they but the bike
2. I hate it that they all rub my fat arz and thighs ruining my bibs quickly
3. I hate hugely and unnecesarily bulky lunchbox bags hanging under my seat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

survivor

by survivor

1415chris wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:54 am
Just out of curiosity, what other unsolved part of the problem you mean?
I'm new to saddle bags, using Speedsleev Ranger small and as far as I'm concern it is quite good. It takes 2 spares, 2 cartridges with the head, multitool, tyre lever, latex gloves, valve tool, valve core, quick link and and there is still room to squeeze some small stuff init.
And yet very compact.
Are you sure you are talking about Speedsleev Ranger Small? As far as I can tell, the small can only fit 1 spare tube. It says here on their website and I have one to validate this as well.

Some might argue Velcro is fine and it's not too hard to attach but we don't really like it. We wanted a cleaner solution. As compact as Speedsleev Ranger Small, we think there is still some improvement there. We did a comparison earlier in this post, please see below. Our solution (which is now called SNAP.B) was Project X.

There are two more additional features that we have that we planned to annouce in coming weeks. Whether or not those features are important to you is up to you to decide :thumbup:

1415chris

by 1415chris

Yes it's small version. Probably it comes to what inner tube we are referring to.
And I do like the way it is clamped, allowing you to control it's volume.
Still curious what you going to come up with.

wilwil

by wilwil

TonyM wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:31 pm
Even smaller is possible:

I have everything in a Castelli mini saddle bnag: 0.3l = 18.3 cubic inches
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Produc ... 890010417P

Inside 1 x spare tube, 1 x CO2 cartridge, CO2 "valve", patches for puncture, glue, multitools, 2 x tire lever, 2 x valve extenders, valve adapter (for gas station), money.

I have the same in a Ziplock bag if I use it in my jersey's pocket.

For me that's the benchmark.
This is the best I’ve found. 2tubes and a gas canister. The Velcro has lost its grip a bit but it’s simple and unobtrusive. Don’t over think it.

Onandon

by Onandon

I think Topeak cracked it with the WEATHERPROOF DYNAWEDGE.
Only 45g

survivor

by survivor

wilwil wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:00 am
TonyM wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:31 pm
Even smaller is possible:

I have everything in a Castelli mini saddle bnag: 0.3l = 18.3 cubic inches
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Produc ... 890010417P

Inside 1 x spare tube, 1 x CO2 cartridge, CO2 "valve", patches for puncture, glue, multitools, 2 x tire lever, 2 x valve extenders, valve adapter (for gas station), money.

I have the same in a Ziplock bag if I use it in my jersey's pocket.

For me that's the benchmark.
This is the best I’ve found. 2tubes and a gas canister. The Velcro has lost its grip a bit but it’s simple and unobtrusive. Don’t over think it.
Wouldn't it be great if it is similar in compactness but have greater storage capacity?

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

Other pic didn’t post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Attachments
IMG_3757.JPG
IMG_3758.JPG

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

1415chris wrote:Yes it's small version. Probably it comes to what inner tube we are referring to.
And I do like the way it is clamped, allowing you to control it's volume.
Still curious what you going to come up with.
Thanks for this. I started out with a Lezyne Caddy sack then switched to a Lezyne roll caddy. I carry 1 tube, wolf tooth master link/tire lever combo tool (awesome btw) two cartridges and head, patch kit, Lezyne multitool and a small baggie of misc bolts and bits. I just switched to the Speedsleev Ranger and all of this plus an extra tube fits much better more organized and looks much sleeker. I had thought about trying the Silica seat roll but figured it would be about the same. Glad I went with the Speedsleev.

Anxious to see what the OP comes up with that’s better than this.

Pics above for some reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

euan

by euan

Speedsleev Ranger is brilliant atmo

angrylegs

by angrylegs

I'm currently using a Bontrager Micro. Fits a tube, 2 CO2, a lever, inflator head, latex gloves. Plenty for most rides imho and you can barely see it under the saddle. I may pick up a Speedsleev at some poin though in case I ever decide I want to bring two tubes. The amount of times I have needed 2 tubes is exactly once in about a decade, but may have something to do with the roads I ride on. Nice bag irregardless so I'm probably going to get one!

uraqt

by uraqt

Velcro is a deal breaker for me, fails over time and sloppy fitting... I gave up on anything that has Velcro years and years ago...(20) I think.. 1st bike shoes I paid real $$$ for....after that nothing Velcro in my life...it just sucks

C

uraqt

by uraqt

I think you have to design something with Dyneema and the voile strap. I am guessing that you can't use a boa without pissing off Silca. I love my Seat Roll Premio, but it's too heavy and not designed for the stuff I want to really pack. I need to have it designed for a pump and a torque wrench and the normal "other" stuff.

I was thinking something like https://sdrtraveller.com/products/tool- ... 5555...but smaller...

C

I was thinking about pulling the BOA off a Seat Roll Premio and adding it to the sdrtraveller, but just not enough time in the day...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JScycle

by JScycle

I have a lezyne road caddy and I fit a tube, multitool, co2 inflator, co2 cartridge, form of ID, cleaning cloth, few bandaids, small cable ties, 2 tyre levers and a t25 and t30 1'4" bit to jam on my multitool if I need to adjust my stem.

Edit: patch kit as well

The bag doesn't need a seatpost strap. It uses one velcro band about 3cm wide.
Last edited by JScycle on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.