The ultimate saddle bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

survivor

by survivor

Some quick side by side comparison in term of sizes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

All these saddle bags are bulky. I prefer minimalist solution by http://bikase.com/product/super-band, 38 grams. I'm holding another one in my hand.

Image Image
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Great protection against the elements.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

survivor

by survivor

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:41 pm
All these saddle bags are bulky. I prefer minimalist solution by http://bikase.com/product/super-band, 38 grams. I'm holding another one in my hand.
That minimalist solution also comes with minimalist storage capability. I guess it depends on what you need to carry around. It also has no protection against the elements. Having said that, it looks like it works for you and that's what matters :thumbup:

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

survivor wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:13 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:41 pm
That minimalist solution also comes with minimalist storage capability. I guess it depends on what you need to carry around. It also has no protection against the elements. Having said that, it looks like it works for you and that's what matters :thumbup:
What exactly do you need to carry besides a tube, C02 cartridge, hex tools, tire lever and C02 inflator head? I have all that with me with empty jersey pockets.
I'm trying to understand what protection against elements. Afraid of getting dust on the tube? I have yet to shoot elements out of my rear tire.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

That contraption you've got hanging on your saddle looks far from minimalist.... definitely great way to clutter up a nice bike, but to each his own.

bilwit

by bilwit

wasn't really interested in this due to lack of WWness but after seeing the video clip of the attachment system, I'm pretty intruiged :thumbup:

also funny how it seems like over half the posts in here never actually read the OP and think it's a "share your saddle bag" thread

Orbital

by Orbital

I ordered a Cyckit after seeing it in this thread and checking out their site. Their gallery sold me on it.

survivor

by survivor

Orbital wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:07 pm
I ordered a Cyckit after seeing it in this thread and checking out their site. Their gallery sold me on it.
Cyckit is a nice hard-shell saddle bag. It was one of the very first saddle bag that I have for my bike.

Few issues I have with Cyckit are:
First, the attachment. It is a pain to install. Getting the screw to fit into the nut when your saddle is attached to your bike is a nightmare. You also need to swap the top case depending on the saddle you have.
Second, the storage capacity is kind of limited. You need to have a slim multi-tool and it can only fit one CO2 canister with one tube. For some this might just be enough. I needed a little bit more.
Third, the rubber band enclosure while appears to be quite durable, is quite difficult to open and close. A quick rub of Vaseline does help.

One thing they got it right is the compactness. It is one of the nicest looking saddle bag out there today. Unfortunately that comes with a compromise of storage capacity. If you have the chance to look at the earlier comparison between SNAP.B with Cyckit, you will see that SNAP.B is just slightly bigger but the storage capacity is much superior. As for the attachment/removal speed, SNAP.B wins hand down. :thumbup:

survivor

by survivor

bilwit wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:39 pm
also funny how it seems like over half the posts in here never actually read the OP and think it's a "share your saddle bag" thread
Should I just start a new thread for SNAP.B? hehe :D

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:29 pm
That contraption you've got hanging on your saddle looks far from minimalist.... definitely great way to clutter up a nice bike, but to each his own.
Clutter up? The only thing that is visible from sides is the tube. You can't even see anything from behind.
Perhaps there's such thing as ultimate saddle bag as many still seeking one. Unfortunately, saddle bags have too much volume, thickness and weight. I'd love to see ~45mm wide saddle bag.

Image Image
Last edited by mpulsiv on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

Is it available yet or still in development. I didn’t notice ....so yea maybe so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

silvalis

by silvalis

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 pm
I'd love to see ~45mm wide saddle bag.
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... -dynawedge

Chasse patate

themidge

by themidge

The ultimate saddle bag is no saddle bag at all.
Or a tubular attached to the back of the saddle with a toe strap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I'm well aware of Topeak bags. I own few different models. Did you see the height of this bag? It's massive 5.5” and almost double the weight compared to my solution.
www.topeak.com/global/de/products/saddl ... -dynawedge

Image Image