The ultimate saddle bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

knightskid

by knightskid

Does it get dislodge when riding on rough road especially when hitting on pothole? I have few occasion where my tool bottle launched after numerous hitting of rough road and potholes....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

survivor

by survivor

knightskid wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:45 am
Does it get dislodge when riding on rough road especially when hitting on pothole? I have few occasion where my tool bottle launched after numerous hitting of rough road and potholes....
SNAP.B attachment system robustness is one of the most common question we got. To put the question to rest we created a test jig to specifically test this out. Checkout the video below.

We have ran SNAP.B on the test jig with its full load collectively for over 800 hours now (and counting) and its attachment system remains strong and solid.

mag

by mag

Oh one more question :-)

How much of exposed saddle rails does it require in order to work properly?
I've got the saddle moved quite a lot forward. It isn't as extreme as Valverde's case here (2nd pic right in the article): https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... ery-52850/
but still there isn't a lot of saddle rails exposed at the back.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

...and is it carbon rail friendly?

survivor

by survivor

mag wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:31 am
Oh one more question :-)

How much of exposed saddle rails does it require in order to work properly?
I've got the saddle moved quite a lot forward. It isn't as extreme as Valverde's case here (2nd pic right in the article): https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... ery-52850/
but still there isn't a lot of saddle rails exposed at the back.
You need 5mm - 10mm of exposed saddle rails.

survivor

by survivor

JKolmo wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:34 am
...and is it carbon rail friendly?
Yes it is. In fact most of our testing was done on carbon rail saddle.

mag

by mag

So the Kickstarter campaign is open
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vo ... saddle-bag

photek

by photek

backed already, hoping I don't get burned :shock:
2019 Trek Emonda SLR, SRAM eTap groupset, eeBrakes G4, Berk Lupina Saddle, TUNE Schwarzbrenner 60mm wheelset - 6.4 kg

mag

by mag

Me too.

@survivor Now that I see a bit better how the attachment works - doesn't it even rattle during a ride? I mean especially the T-shaped piece at the front.

andreas

by andreas

I'm very wary about rattling considering it seems to have 2 fixed sizes and no velcro/boa tightening mechanism?

survivor

by survivor

photek wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:04 pm
backed already, hoping I don't get burned :shock:
Thank you for your support! :thumbup:

survivor

by survivor

mag wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 pm
Me too.

@survivor Now that I see a bit better how the attachment works - doesn't it even rattle during a ride? I mean especially the T-shaped piece at the front.
Thank you for your support! The beauty of the F.A.S.T. attachment mechanism is that it won't rattle but still provide a secure attachment. The T-bar (T-shaped piece at the front) acted like a spring, so it is flexible and absorb vibrations. Same for the adaptive clips that provide upward clamp force on the lower side of the left and right attachment clips, they acted like a spring and absorb vibrations too. So if you hit a port hole or going through gravel road, as your bike vibrates, the F.A.S.T. attachment mechanism absorb the vibration thus eliminate any rattling.

survivor

by survivor

andreas wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:39 pm
I'm very wary about rattling considering it seems to have 2 fixed sizes and no velcro/boa tightening mechanism?
SNAP.B Flexi-Frame can be engaged to form a close frame or disengaged to form an open frame. When it is in the close frame and pair with the compact sleeve, you have the compact size saddle bag. When it is in the open frame and pair with the extended sleeve, you have the bigger size saddle bag.

I guess the question about rattling here is more towards the items inside the saddle bag? There are three ways we are tackling this issue. First, like what I mentioned above, the F.A.S.T. attachment system absorb vibration thus minimize any vibration coming to the cargo inside the saddle bag. Second, we chose to use the frame + sleeve concept and not a hard shell. The sleeve is softer material thus minimize any rattling of items inside the saddle bag. Third, if you notice the sleeve design has folded middle section. This design allows the sleeve to be compact and snug when minimal items are inside and expand when it is in full load. So if you are packing the typical stuff as listed, they should fit snug inside the bag without any room for rattling.

C36

by C36

Survivor,
Glad you launched your product, a couple of great features you came with!
Would any of the 2 size keep a folded tubular?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

mpulsiv wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:49 am
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:13 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:29 pm
That contraption you've got hanging on your saddle looks far from minimalist.... definitely great way to clutter up a nice bike, but to each his own.
Clutter up? The only thing that is visible from sides is the tube. You can't even see anything from behind.
Perhaps there's such thing as ultimate saddle bag as many still seeking one. Unfortunately, saddle bags have too much volume, thickness and weight. I'd love to see ~45mm wide saddle bag.
I wasn't talking about the essentials so much as I was the plumber's spare tools you've got bandaided together. It seems kind of pointless to claim you're a "minimalist" and then post a picture with all of that stuff in the photo.
Gotta love it when you show something that no one has done before but that someone will keep poking the bear with a stick. It's not an aesthetic contest.
What "plumber's spare tools bandaided together" are you talking about? I was showing the functionality of something small and light in contrast to something big, thick and heavy. Oh wait, it's called saddle bag.
That's becoming the problem with this site. Some users, probably the ones with the least actual milage, but probably the most cafe cake stops are desperately trawling through hunting for 'errors', 'wrongness' and 'aesthetic mistakes' to highlight and belittle other posters. It really needs to stop.