The ultimate saddle bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Yes to both: most of my rides are max 2hrs, and I know where the spigots are. If I need two bottles, I'll just go back to using saddlebags. As long as I get to drink, either works for me.

I was also thinking: it'll be cool if the pouch can be mounted in different ways: underneath the saddle, in the bottle cage, and put in a jersey pocket.

dim

by dim

not a weight weightweenie saddlebag, but I wanted a saddlebag that can carry my daily stuff for my commutes, aswell as for some long audax rides for my gravel bike.

I ended up getting the Carradice Barley with the bagman quick release sport bracket. Has a 9 litre capacity:

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

htc

by htc

I use http://www.wiggle.co.uk/scicon-elan-210-saddle-bag/

Cheap as chips
Weighs less than 40g
Carries:
1x inner tube
2x CO2
CO2 inflator
Puncture repair stickers
4 Allen keys

Could only really be perfected by increasing size a very small amount - keeping weight under 50g.

TonyM

by TonyM

htc wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:13 pm
I use http://www.wiggle.co.uk/scicon-elan-210-saddle-bag/

Cheap as chips
Weighs less than 40g
Carries:
1x inner tube
2x CO2
CO2 inflator
Puncture repair stickers
4 Allen keys

Could only really be perfected by increasing size a very small amount - keeping weight under 50g.
Be careful with the Scicon 210 saddle bag if you pack a lot inside and the velcro attachement is shorter than usual. I lost one saddle bag like this...

htc

by htc

Interesting, I’ve been using them for the last 2 years and no problems so far..

TonyM

by TonyM

htc wrote:Interesting, I’ve been using them for the last 2 years and no problems so far..
I used these also for more than 3-4 years.
But better safe than sorry. So if you pack a lot like I did and the strap is shorter than usual, then be extremely careful!

glepore

by glepore

I lost one as well, found it the next day a mile from home. Make sure the strap is cinched.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

survivor

by survivor

Saddle bag drop is one of the concerns users brought up quite frequently. The longevity of the Velcro really depends on how often you take on and put on the saddle bag I guess. It also could be the rough road conditions that put a lot of stress to the Velcro. I have heard those that have quick release clip attachment is also prone to breakage when riding on rough road conditions.

We are in the process of putting together a test jig to test our attachment system. The idea is to simulate rough road conditions that causes the saddle bag to vibrate/move thus exerts stress to the attachment system. If the attachment system is proven robust enough to survive through many cycles of abuse then hopefully it will be as robust on the road.

bilwit

by bilwit

What is the estimated weight?

I'm always on the lookout for a cleaner, minimal saddle bag. I'm currently using a Blackburn Barrier Micro which is about the lightest one I could find (outside of the Cyckit stuff) at sub ~30g. The most secure way of attaching it is to have the velcro end finish at the top, just above the saddle rails which is kind of a pain in the ass to take off and put back on again so now I just leave it on. Eventually the velcro gets loose and needs to be tighted up again. Fits a flat multitool, 2x tire levers, 1x CO2, CO2 inflater, 1x inner tube, and I can squeeze my mini head light in if needed.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Another clean and svelte option from Orucase:

https://www.orucase.com/collections/all ... saddle-bag
Just ride ..

survivor

by survivor

bilwit wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 pm
What is the estimated weight?

I'm always on the lookout for a cleaner, minimal saddle bag. I'm currently using a Blackburn Barrier Micro which is about the lightest one I could find (outside of the Cyckit stuff) at sub ~30g. The most secure way of attaching it is to have the velcro end finish at the top, just above the saddle rails which is kind of a pain in the ass to take off and put back on again so now I just leave it on. Eventually the velcro gets loose and needs to be tighted up again. Fits a flat multitool, 2x tire levers, 1x CO2, CO2 inflater, 1x inner tube, and I can squeeze my mini head light in if needed.
It won't sound like a weight weenies saddle bag as the prototype is 76g. Having said that the added weight is due to some additional features of the saddle bag. One of it is to solve "pain in the ass to take off and put back on again" problem :D

martinkartin

by martinkartin

I use this during short rides and I carry 1 tube, 1 Co2 canister, 2 tire levers, tire patch kit, and a multi tool.

Thinking of getting one of these soon for longer rides. I'm not quite sure how I would like the roll as water and dirty can easily slip through if I get caught in the rain or through different terrain.

Factor O2 Disc

halcyongolf

by halcyongolf

I use the Sci-Con Elan 210 and it's great. After hearing some incidental descriptions of bag drop, I simply use an extra long piece of low-profile velcro strap that sticks to itself to act as a second strap. It works perfectly and I have piece of mind the bag isn't going to fall. Simple fix IMHO.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I've said before and I'll say it again. If you have clinchers and carry tubes/CO2, there is a million good, cheap, and light options out on the market already. Find one that doesn't rub your fat butt or thighs (and ruins shorts) and done. If you carry a spare glued tubular tire, finding something light, small enough, and that doesn't rub your fat butt or thighs is an entirely different thing. 2 methods in my mind have solved this issue:

1. tubular pre-glued packed tightly into a sunglass sack in rear pocket and mini light pump or CO2, or
2. same contents as above in the cut water bottle in the downtube of the bike.

Still waiting for someone to have a magical, cooler, and lighter solution that tops either one of those methods!

1415chris

by 1415chris

Any updates on the progress?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com