Madone Disc Spotted

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Stitchking
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 am

by Stitchking

Mirco wrote:
Stitchking wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am
Mirco wrote:
My saddle height is 81cm. Concerning the Venge Vias Disc Geo, I am riding a 56 frame (stack 564mm) and 25mm Spacer. So an 56 Madone frame nearly has the same Geo and including the headset top cap I assume 10—15mm Spacer should work. The problem is the given max. saddlerail height of 76cm of the 56 Madone frame.

Ok, saddlerail height and saddle height depands on the saddle itself. I am riding Specialized Toupe Pro saddle which might be more flat than the bontrager.

As I mentioned above, saddle height is 81cm and saddlerail height with an Specialized Toupe Pro is 77cm.

regards

Mirco
If your saddle height is 81cm you probably should be on a 58cm frame. Mine is 78.5 and im having to buy the longer seatpost as the standard one only goes up to 76.5.

Are you running the weird riser bars on the venge? Theyre probably the difference in headtube length between the 56 and the 58

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No, I am running the Vision Metron 5d on my Venge Vias Disc.

I am also waiting for some build up of the new Madone Disc in size 56 and of course size 58 to get an idea how it looks like. I am not in a hurry, because the road season lasts until mid of september, then cyclocross race season starts and training is a bit different.
This is mine, still work in progress. I'll measure headtube including spacer for you when i get into work later the 205 seatpost will give an extra 40mm of seat height so this 56 will have max saddle height from bb of about 80.5.Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


by Weenie


User avatar
wheelbuilder
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:10 am

by wheelbuilder

Done. @Cal, it is completely different than previous. Having the stem a separate unit makes the juggling of housing through bar, then stem, then top cap, then compression ring then steers tube which are all notched, makes it a bit more fussy than previous where housing flowed right out bottom of integrated stem and into headtube. The notches in the top cap and compression ring were more roomy as well. The control panel is much better than previous though with no kinking of cables required. After I do a couple of these I will get efficient just like previous though. First time is usually a head scratcher with these. Image

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
Last edited by wheelbuilder on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

spartan
Posts: 1166
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:52 am

by spartan

weight?
Current Rides:

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

wkwt
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:16 am

by wkwt

@wheelbuilder @stitchking how do you like that matte gray/glossy silver paint job irl? Is the Trek logo glossy or matte black?

I’m thinking the most economical approach to this new Madone SLR may be the 6 Disc and add a Di conversion. Assuming one likes the stock wheels.

spdntrxi
Posts: 1842
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

thats a good looking bike stitch

Mirco
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:09 pm

by Mirco

Stitchking wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 pm
Mirco wrote:
Stitchking wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am
Mirco wrote:
My saddle height is 81cm. Concerning the Venge Vias Disc Geo, I am riding a 56 frame (stack 564mm) and 25mm Spacer. So an 56 Madone frame nearly has the same Geo and including the headset top cap I assume 10—15mm Spacer should work. The problem is the given max. saddlerail height of 76cm of the 56 Madone frame.

Ok, saddlerail height and saddle height depands on the saddle itself. I am riding Specialized Toupe Pro saddle which might be more flat than the bontrager.

As I mentioned above, saddle height is 81cm and saddlerail height with an Specialized Toupe Pro is 77cm.

regards

Mirco
If your saddle height is 81cm you probably should be on a 58cm frame. Mine is 78.5 and im having to buy the longer seatpost as the standard one only goes up to 76.5.

Are you running the weird riser bars on the venge? Theyre probably the difference in headtube length between the 56 and the 58

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No, I am running the Vision Metron 5d on my Venge Vias Disc.

I am also waiting for some build up of the new Madone Disc in size 56 and of course size 58 to get an idea how it looks like. I am not in a hurry, because the road season lasts until mid of september, then cyclocross race season starts and training is a bit different.
This is mine, still work in progress. I'll measure headtube including spacer for you when i get into work later the 205 seatpost will give an extra 40mm of seat height so this 56 will have max saddle height from bb of about 80.5.Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

THX, I am realy interested in the height of the painted headset top cap, concerning the need of additional spacers.
With the 205mm seatpost, which will give an extra 40mm of seat height, I assume the max. saddlerail height (and not the saddle height) as stated within the geo-specs will raise from 760mm to 800mm.

Could you also take a measurement on the 56 from cc-bottom bracket to the top tube, were the top tube touches the seattube, just to compare the sloping of the Madone to my Venge Vias.

regards

Mirco
Last edited by Mirco on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rainerhq
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Estonia

by rainerhq

Mirco wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:32 am
Stitchking wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 pm
Mirco wrote:
Stitchking wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am


If your saddle height is 81cm you probably should be on a 58cm frame. Mine is 78.5 and im having to buy the longer seatpost as the standard one only goes up to 76.5.

Are you running the weird riser bars on the venge? Theyre probably the difference in headtube length between the 56 and the 58

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No, I am running the Vision Metron 5d on my Venge Vias Disc.

I am also waiting for some build up of the new Madone Disc in size 56 and of course size 58 to get an idea how it looks like. I am not in a hurry, because the road season lasts until mid of september, then cyclocross race season starts and training is a bit different.
This is mine, still work in progress. I'll measure headtube including spacer for you when i get into work later the 205 seatpost will give an extra 40mm of seat height so this 56 will have max saddle height from bb of about 80.5.Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

THX, I am realy interested in the height of the painted headset top cap, concerning the need of additional spacers.
With the 205mm seatpost, which will give an extra 40mm of seat height, I assume the max. saddlerail height (and not the saddle height) as stated within the geo-specs will raise from 760mm to 800mm.

regards

Mirco
Thanks :D
Domane
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Stitchking
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 am

by Stitchking

@spartan 8.28 as pictured without bartape.

@wkwt the paint looks great in real life. Trek really nailed it. Black logo is glossy.

@mirco headtube is 160 tall including spacer. Obviously the spacer tapers down towards the front of the bike but i measured from highest point (photo attached).

Will grab the other measurements you wanted and post tomorrowImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


spartan
Posts: 1166
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:52 am

by spartan

8.28kg so even if you replace wheels/saddle/groupset with light pedals the lightest it will get to around 17lbs . about 1 lb heavier than a top end venge.
is heavy super bikes the new normal in the disc era.
Current Rides:

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

Stitchking
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 am

by Stitchking

spartan wrote:8.28kg so even if you replace wheels/saddle/groupset with light pedals the lightest it will get to around 17lbs . about 1 lb heavier than a top end venge.
is heavy super bikes the new normal in the disc era.
Looking at the tube shapes and the level of carbon used, i'd say that trek could have gotten the bike to a similar weight as the venge if they didn't have the isospeed decoupler. But then it would have dropped stays for comfort and would look like everything else.

As non weenie as it is, I'm prepared to forego having a super light bike for a super fast, super comfy bike. Im 88kg, at my leanest i'm about 84. Never going to be a climber.

Also Degenkolbs bike is 7.3kg. So 16lbs with top spec componentry

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


Last edited by Stitchking on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlok
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

with your body weight your decision makes sense.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

spartan
Posts: 1166
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:52 am

by spartan

dags madone slr 54 cm Bike weight: 7.86kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HRhvIHUFG0

sagan 56cm Bike weight: 7.46kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn6a5Wl4xGE
Current Rides:

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

prebsy
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: PHL

by prebsy

does anyone have a picture of how the bars and stem interface? I'm assuming the bar is only available in that awful bontrager VR-C bend =(

Fisherfreerider
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:19 am

by Fisherfreerider

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:49 pm
I have been messing with this at my leisure over the last week and it is coming together. However the measurements that Trek provides for housing length prior to running through bar/stem are about 60mm too long. Not a huge deal to trim but a bit disappointing. Mechanical shifting on this bike is a bad idea. Shouldn't even be an option.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
This was the case with the previous Madone as well. The suggestions are worst case scenarios with the max spacers, widest bar, and longest stem. Trimming housing is easy anyways.

by Weenie


User avatar
wheelbuilder
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:10 am

by wheelbuilder

prebsy wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:09 pm
does anyone have a picture of how the bars and stem interface? I'm assuming the bar is only available in that awful bontrager VR-C bend =(
My photos on page 14 show bar and stem mating.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post