Madone Disc Spotted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

themidge

by themidge

According to their website, Lightning cranks should be able to fit BB90, so you can still go WW there. Otherwise, as above, saddle, custom SP clamp, mechs and shifters, wheels, discs (or get the rim brake version :wink:), Ti and alloy bolts everywhere, cables, and it'd be a right faff but surely some hydraulic hoses are lighter than others.
I bet the pro bikes are nowhere near the UCI limit.

MMW

by MMW

I can’t find the 2019 frame set - only 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:49 am
Also re: cranks...
Road BB90 is one of the most limited BB standards. You can’t use 30mm spindle cranks with it so most of the aftermarket options mentioned above are out.
Its apparent you don't even know what the Trek BB90 system is. The Trek BB90 uses regular 24mm diameter cranksets. Just like all cranksets used to be until all the new big 30mm spindle cranks. All Shimano and all SRAM cranks fit it just fine. As mentioned by another, Extralite makes a regular crankset that fits it fine. THM also makes a regular crankset that fits Trek BB90. ONLY cranks with the new big 30mm spindle will not work. All normal cranks, and most of the cranks I listed fit it just fine. Only Ax Lightness does not make a 24mm spindle crank to fit Trek BB90. The Cannondale 30mm cranks won't work either. But if THM makes its Clavicula crank for your bike, then you are not very limited for aftermarket cranks. And if you have to go ghetto, so to speak, you can always use a SRAM Red crank.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RussellS wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Its apparent you don't even know what the Trek BB90 system is. The Trek BB90 uses regular 24mm diameter cranksets. Just like all cranksets used to be until all the new big 30mm spindle cranks. All Shimano and all SRAM cranks fit it just fine. As mentioned by another, Extralite makes a regular crankset that fits it fine. THM also makes a regular crankset that fits Trek BB90. ONLY cranks with the new big 30mm spindle will not work. All normal cranks, and most of the cranks I listed fit it just fine. Only Ax Lightness does not make a 24mm spindle crank to fit Trek BB90. The Cannondale 30mm cranks won't work either. But if THM makes its Clavicula crank for your bike, then you are not very limited for aftermarket cranks. And if you have to go ghetto, so to speak, you can always use a SRAM Red crank.

I know exactly what BB90 is...it’s a 90.5mm wide shell with 37mm OD. When I was looking at lightweight options, I did not see 24mm Extralite or THM cranks. Please be aware that when you see that a crank has BSA compatibility, that does not necessarily mean the spindle is 24mm. They are 30mm spindled cranks paired with BSA external cups that use 6806 bearings.

If you have links to these cranks, please share, because when I was looking it seemed limited to Shimano, SRAM, Rotor 3D24, etc.

sethjs

by sethjs

I took an SLR 6 Disc out for a 30 mile loop with 3k ft of climb today - on really crap east bay SF roads. Quick thoughts:

Bikes I typically ride: Cervelo RCA 2014. Baum Corretto. Bianchi Infinito. Specialized Diverge.

Comfort: Holy cow! Amazing. I had the ISO Speed set to the middle setting. Stopped a couple times to make sure I didn't have a rear flat. More impressive was that the front also felt comfortable. Probably built into the stem or bar. But not too harsh, at all. Much more comfortable than the RCA. Similar to the Infinito (which I love).

Speed: Who knows. I set a bunch of PRs. But...I don't ride in the east bay much. Trust the wind tunnel.

Stiffness / Climbing: Was great on the climbs. Really great. Felt better than climbing on the Infinito. Similar to the RCA. Didn't notice the weight. Did "feel" like it was as efficient as the RCA and more so than the Infinito and Corretto. But this could also be the lack of brake rub psychologically messing with me. Did set a PR on the Tunnel Rd climb, for those who know it.

Handling: More stable than the RCA (which I find nervous). Quicker than the Infinito. Pretty much spot on "good". Some might find it slightly "slow".

Net: fantstic bike. Super impressed. Will try the Venge shortly to compare. Getting one or the other...would snap up the Madone tomorrow were the Venge not just released, too.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I suspect the Venge’s only key advantages are it’s weight (climbing, accelerations) and maybe the bar/stem stiffness (if you consider that a pro.) The Madone clearly has better rear triangle comfort. It’s also less cookie-cutter aero and oddly has better paint options for now.

Mirco

by Mirco

Hi,

personally I am "Specialized" riding S-WORKS VENGE VIAS DISC and S-WORKS CRUX, even my wife has the same bikes. Concerning the new Venge, would like to have one for sure, but the available paint jobs are not realy nice. Ok, the Sagan Collection, but also not available.

So I already did some configurations regarding the Madone SLR 6 Disc within the Project One configurator. Concerning the geo-specs I am used to ride 56 S-Works Frames and even the new Venge will be an 56 frame. The new Madone SLR 6 has a different geo-spec and due to the max. seatrail hight limitation I would need an 58 frame with 581mm stack. My effective stack including headset top cap and spacers is 589mm to get the difference between saddle and handlebar.

Now my question. Does anybody knows the measurements of the painted headset top cap?

regards

Mirco

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Mirco wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 am
due to the max. seatrail hight limitation I would need an 58 frame
Is there only one size seatmast?
I have 54cm Domane and had to buy longer seatmast to get the correct seat height. On Treks geo chart it was not written that max seatrail height shown, is possible with longer seatmast, not with the one included with bike :x
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mirco, your saddle height is over 79cm? What is your inseam? 89cm?

Mirco

by Mirco

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm
Mirco, your saddle height is over 79cm? What is your inseam? 89cm?

My saddle height is 81cm. Concerning the Venge Vias Disc Geo, I am riding a 56 frame (stack 564mm) and 25mm Spacer. So an 56 Madone frame nearly has the same Geo and including the headset top cap I assume 10—15mm Spacer should work. The problem is the given max. saddlerail height of 76cm of the 56 Madone frame.

Ok, saddlerail height and saddle height depands on the saddle itself. I am riding Specialized Toupe Pro saddle which might be more flat than the bontrager.

As I mentioned above, saddle height is 81cm and saddlerail height with an Specialized Toupe Pro is 77cm.

regards

Mirco

Beaver

by Beaver

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 pm
They are centered. Those photos are just poorly framed and/or edited. Sometimes fork’s will be asymmetric so tires look off-center, but that’s not what is happening here.
And another one, at 1:46min... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ5qCWdROfI

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 pm
100 percent change of tune. Good luck fella's. Disregard post about being easy.
Any idea whether the new bar/stem combo is interchangable with the Madone 9? I like my current setup, but if the new one is compatible, it might be worth going for.

Visus

by Visus

Beaver wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:02 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 pm
They are centered. Those photos are just poorly framed and/or edited. Sometimes fork’s will be asymmetric so tires look off-center, but that’s not what is happening here.
And another one, at 1:46min... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ5qCWdROfI
The Wheel is obviously centered. The fork is asymmetric to provide space for the disc and caliper.

wingguy

by wingguy

sethjs wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:16 am
But this could also be the lack of brake rub psychologically messing with me.
Hang on a minute... you’ve invested in a bunch of $10k+ bikes but you ride them around with rubbing brakes? :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sethjs

by sethjs

Definitely happens on all of them to varying degrees...even with a fair amount of spacing between brake block and wheel...when climbing ~10%+ grades. More when standing than sitting of course. Worst with Zipp wheels and probably the RCA. Then the Baum. Least on the Bianchi Infinito. Less with Roval CLX 50s and Bontrager xxx4s. Also not so much with Campy Bora 35s. Net: Zipp the worst offender wheel and the RCA probably the worst offender frame.